Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Nets on the Don estuary
« on: 14/06/2007 at 07:29 »
I noticed last year that the bothy at the 2nd tee at Murcar Golf Club was up for sale. This was the base for the netting along the coast up from the mouth of the don. Recently the track that was used to get down to the beach has been grassed over as it ran across the golf course. Putting two and two together it looks like the netting may have stopped. There used to be a sign up outside the bothy saying "salmon for sale" but haven't seen that for a few years now. I am assuming that there are no longer sufficient fish to catch. What does this tell you or have I got it wrong.

Anyone else add to this?

Bakerboy

Nets on the Don estuary
« Reply #1 on: 14/06/2007 at 08:47 »
Can't comment on the nets at Murcar but living near St Cyrus I have seen that there are nets out at the mouth of the North Esk.  :sad:

Hamish Young

Nets on the Don estuary
« Reply #2 on: 14/06/2007 at 10:48 »
I think the Don and Dee nets were bought out - but the netting station at Cruden Bay has come up for grabs I think  :idea:
Not so much that the fish have run out, but the season for netsman changed a lot and the type and duration of netting were also changed heavily to make it more of a paying hobby than an income.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com