Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: BFCC Alnwick
« Reply #15 on: 12/08/2013 at 09:17 »
Looks good from first load of pics, hopefully more to come  :z16

Wish I could have been there but a slightly fiscally challenged month and the fact I had an Alfa Romeo apart yesterday looking for the knocking noise that may, or may not, be Saint Christopher trying to escape meant I could not be there.
Next time though  :cool:

:z18

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #16 on: 12/08/2013 at 11:11 »
nice pics !  :z16

Peter

« Reply #17 on: 12/08/2013 at 11:57 »
Thanks for making the journey lads, I'll be booking the field for the 10th of August next year so we can do it all over again  :z12

Glasgow next woohoo  :z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #18 on: 12/08/2013 at 13:13 »
Looks like a cracking day out guys, long journey but worth it.  :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #19 on: 12/08/2013 at 14:32 »
A few pics

First and second longest casts in each discipline

Overall ranking shows combined finishing order for the day - pay special attention to #4, very well done Kev.  To finish above Mike H is a great result, he may be almost 76 YO now but he is still one of the best casters in the UK.  200+ in the T120 is a great result particularly after last year at Glasgow  :z4  No more help from me mate, you're now a serious competitive threat  :z7

Mike receives receives B100 1st place trophy

Hike H takes 1st in #7 distance

Peter Thain being awarded trophies for 1st place in everything else!!  Top job Peter  :cool:

Got a pile of video to sort through, will get something together in the next day or two.

Cheers

Ben

Allan Liddle

« Reply #20 on: 12/08/2013 at 17:29 »
Great stuff guys well done to all  :z16

Kevin Muir

« Reply #21 on: 12/08/2013 at 19:57 »
Well I was knackered at work today, should have taken today off but no cover at work meant I had to work.  That will be sorted for next year though.  I felt like I had fallen asleep and someone had given me a good kicking, ribs, back arms, I need to get fitter, I can see the benefit of getting fitter for this casting lark now.  Great fun though.

Hopefully we can get a great turnout to the monthly casting group in Aberdeenshire over the winter and get a few more folk inspired to give it a go, I know Dan had a great day and learned a lot into the bargain.

No more help from me mate, you're now a serious competitive threat 
Aye some day perhaps, you and I know the truth.  Close but no cigar is the term I would use in my efforts to get near your level of casting.  I don't think it's about casting further than a mate or anyone else for that matter, it is about the competition you have with yourself.  We all know where we are in terms of ability / performance, in reality we are all trying to cast further than we know we have before.  It is all about spurring each other to do better, ANYONE to do better because that is what it is all about.  There is a bit of competitive spirit but it is low key and everyone at these events is pleased when someone puts in a good performance.

While my casting has improved with good tuition (from Ben) and a good amount of time spent going over the basics in the field, you just can't replicate the real world of someone with a timer and a marker checking the distance or accuracy, it's great fun.  I would like to do better and I know I still have a LOT of work to do on my casting, I am very pleased with the progress,  (never satisfied with the results though) :z4  You always feel you could do better or I do at least.  I know I should be better with a #5 and #7 rod, especially the #5 outfit.  I do find it so dammed hard to get that line to fly to 120 feet. I know that will take a good bit more work and possibly another lesson or two from Ben if is teaching schedule will allow. 

With good instruction and a lot of work in a field or section of fairly flat river eventually you start to see some progress.  Not where I want to be but I don't suppose I will ever be happy with my casting.  I can remember (so can a few of the other guys) me saying that anything over a #5 line rating was just crazy and I would neve be able to cast them.  Thanks for the casting lessons Ben, I know it is the good casting tuition from you going over the basics again and again with me that has made the difference. 

I now look forward to going to the park for an hour or two with the rod, any rod.  Short stuff and long stuff, it's all great fun.

So guys, put your name down for the winter casting meeting and we can all learn from each other over the winter.

Kev.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #22 on: 12/08/2013 at 21:10 »
Results are up here courtesy of James Evans & Tracy Thomas.

www.thebfcc.co.uk/category/results

Cheers

Ben

Mike Heritage

« Reply #23 on: 13/08/2013 at 12:33 »
Hi Guy's
The results and write up  are up on www.thebfcc.co.uk . Nice pics Mike, would you mind if David Fisher lifted some for the web site? I would also like to thank all of you for helping out.

See you all in Glasgow.

Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 13/08/2013 at 12:45 »
Hi Mike :z16

Thanks again for a great weekend. Of course, just tell David to copy the photos, or if he sends me an email I can send them to him :cool:

See you in Glasgow!

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #25 on: 13/08/2013 at 16:08 »
big  :z16 Mike B !  :cool:

Peter

« Reply #26 on: 14/08/2013 at 19:08 »
I would just like to thank everyone who came along to the Alnwick meet, especially the members who put in so much hard work on the day to keep things running smoothly. You all did a great job :thumbs:

There is no reason we can't do this all over again, and make it even bigger and better next year. All it needs, is enough interest from people to set the ball rolling ;)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 14/08/2013 at 22:12 »
Count me in for any event down there next year Peter, hopefully you can manage up to ours over the winter.

Cheers

Ben

Peter

« Reply #28 on: 15/08/2013 at 23:22 »
Hopefully I'll make it to at least one event, if the weather stays kind   :z12

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com