Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter

BFCC Alnwick
« on: 04/08/2013 at 11:22 »
It's now a week to go until the Alnwick BFCC event. If you're attending can you please post on here, or if you're the shy and retiring type send confirmation in the form of a p.m.  :z7

This will assist no end in the smooth running of the day, and be especially helpful for the ladies in the clubhouse dealing with the sandwiches etc. I don't like setting deadlines, but I have my final meeting with the Rugby club this Tuesday, and it would be great if I could give them an idea of numbers at the meeting  :wink

Mike Barrio

Re: BFCC Alnwick
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2013 at 12:39 »
Hi Peter,

I'll see you there :z16

Best wishes
Mike

PS: more info here folks http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5563.0 and on the BFCC website http://www.thebfcc.co.uk/events

Peter

« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2013 at 12:53 »
Brilliant Mike :) And thanks for posting the info links  :cool:

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 05/08/2013 at 00:21 »
Maybe should have posted here Peter

Dan Bruce
Kevin Muir
Ben Dixon

See you Sunday, looking forward to it.

Cheers

Ben

Peter

« Reply #4 on: 05/08/2013 at 10:30 »
Everything's cool Ben :wink Dan let me know earlier in the week. Thanks for making the journey and supporting the event  :z12

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 07/08/2013 at 18:38 »
Thanks for arranging the event Peter.
The previous "north" event in Oswestry was a bit of a joke, bit like having a "Spanish" event in Portugal.  To me, the midlands starts about Darlo and the south begins somewhere around Doncaster, Oswestry is almost in France.

I'd like to see another Scottish event, be good to get a meet set up in Aberdeenshire, can maybe get a chat over it on Sunday.  Do you fancy adding a 55g salmon overhead if I bring the kit?

Current forecast is wet & windy  :z6

Cheers

Ben

Peter

« Reply #6 on: 07/08/2013 at 19:16 »
I've dealt with 'central' locations in National level surfcasting for decades Ben, central being Peterborough and Huntingdon. I'm used to putting the miles in, and at least the BFCC move around, which is a huge thumbs up from me  :z18 I completely get where you're coming from though, and a more even balance between the far north, bits in the middle, and far south is definitely needed. I work on the principle 'build it and they will come', let's see whether that philosophy works on sunday?

Another Scottish meet would be great, the more events the better as far as I'm concerned. Every extra comp brings yet another group of like minded people together, and that's the only way to grow the sport.

If there's time, I'm up for adding any events you want. However, it's not really up to me, but rather Mike M and the rest of the people running the show. I think Mike Marshall already has a 55g outfit in hand anyway, but you would need to confirm that with him. As long as we retain the core International events, so there is a pathway to the ICSF, I don't have any issues with throwing anything else. Those International events being 5#, T27, T38 & T120.

I'm watching the forecast too, and it's changing by the hour. Either side of sunday is supposed to be ok, so everything could change depending on how quickly this front comes through? Windy is fine, wet is yak :( Bring a leather glove for your hauling hand, you might need it to hang onto the mono running line for the heavier events if it does rain.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 07/08/2013 at 19:30 »
How many local or relatively local guys have you got Peter?  Wasn't sure Mike M was coming up to this meeting, I think the kit he is getting together could very well be the same as the stuff I have  :wink

Know what you mean re travel, from Aberdeenshire it is a pain to get anywhere (does have advantages).  Easier & faster to get overseas than to get down the country from here.  Putting in the miles for the Spey casting this year, not cheap!

Really looking forward to it, sure it'll be grand whatever the weather.  If we get a good blow for the head events so much the better IMO.

I've been looking for some of those dimpled rubber thimble things that were used to count money in PO's & banks before everything was weighed for hauling the thin stuff.  I can usually hang on to it but I end up with split fingers eventually.

How many potential local attendees are needed to get an event sanctioned, is there an official criteria for getting something together?

Cheers

Ben

Peter

« Reply #8 on: 07/08/2013 at 21:49 »
There are 16 names down from the local area including myself Ben, whether they all turn up is anyones guess? How many arrive unannounced, based on having read about it in the local paper, or having seen a poster, is completely up in the air? I reckon we will have something between 20 and 30 people in total.

I used to rack up about 1200 miles a month doing the surfcasting comps, so it can get pretty expensive all this travelling around. Add on an ICSF event, and that's easily another £1000 - £1200. I could have been a millionaire if i didn't go casting! Ok, well maybe not that rich, but considerably better off lol.

A golf glove does the job well Ben, it's thin enough so you can feel the line, and usually gives a really good grip on wet mono. Failing that, cut the fingers out of a washing up glove, they should work well too. whatever you do, don't try it with condoms :D

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 07/08/2013 at 22:41 »

A golf glove does the job well Ben

Golf?  I'd sooner have the line slip than support glof mate, detest the game  :z4

Here's hoping for a good turnout.

CHeers

Ben

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 12/08/2013 at 00:23 »
Peter,

Thanks for organising, a most enjoyable day and you can count me in next time at the same venue.

Will get some video up tomorrow.

James (I know you're lurking, why don't you join), please ask Tracy to send over results!!

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

Re: BFCC Alnwick New
« Reply #11 on: 12/08/2013 at 00:27 »
Great weekend at the BFCC Alnwick event, great to meet up with friends from around the country and loads of fun! :z16

Thanks for organising this northern meet Peter, most enjoyable!

Here are a few photos :cool:

Kevin Muir

« Reply #12 on: 12/08/2013 at 07:07 »
It was a great day at Alnwick, the wind was crap for most of the day which did not help the lighter line comps.

As usual, happy with some of my casting but not happy with others, nothing new there.

The best part of the day was having a chat with everyone at the event and getting the chance to have a play with the gear they were using.  It would not be possible to have a play with some of this type of kit anywhere else apart from the Glasgow meeting.

It was a great day out and it was good to catch up with some of the regular faces at the casting comps.  It woul;d have been good to have seen a few more new faces though.

There was some great casting on show and it is surprising how many tips you pick up from watching and also from the other folk at this type mof meeting, they share knowledge freely which helps everyone improve which is the great part of this type of meeting.

All in all a great day out and good crack on the drive down and back.

Kev.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 12/08/2013 at 07:11 »
Nice one Kev.

It was very nice of you to loan Dan one of your T-Shirts  :z16

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #14 on: 12/08/2013 at 09:11 »
It was very nice of you to loan Dan one of your T-Shirts

No Iain, it was my own, the idea being that it would take the attention away from my crap casting. :z4

I have to echo what the other guys are saying, it was a great day with some amazing casting taking place.
I would recommend anyone who wants to improve there casting to attend a BFCC meet. Yes the focus is on distance but you pick up so many tips that you can transfer into a fishing situation. Also where else can you spend a whole day with top casters who are more than happy to pass on any information that they have to help you improve.

cheers,
Dan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com