Playing a River Dever Brownie

Gin Clear River Dever

Another fine River Dever Brown Trout

Nuff Said.

Ewan

Mike Barrio

Re: Once More Unto The Chalkstreams
« Reply #1 on: 29/07/2013 at 11:04 »
Absolutely awesome!  :z14 ................. Thanks for sharing the photos Ewan :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 29/07/2013 at 12:55 »
love the expression on the first trout's face - looks like, "dammit, caught again!"

great pics, thanks

Graham Nicol

« Reply #3 on: 30/07/2013 at 19:33 »
I have fished both these beats and must say find the Dever at Bullington the best. The water is always clear and the weed exactly as one imagines it should be on a chalkstream. Quintessential stuff. There are also some clunking grayling there which come October time are super sport on dries. Super pictures

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #4 on: 31/07/2013 at 11:23 »
I think the Dever at Bullington Manor is my favourite too.  I've now fished all four beats and they are all different but equally beautiful with some cracking fish in them.  The Grayling on beat 1 last week were the biggest I've ever seen, some were easily 3lb+.  However, they could not be tempted on a hot and sunny day. I'm planning a specific Grayling trip in the Autumn after the Trout season closes.  Your day ticket a Bullington lets you fish all four beats for Grayling!

Ewan

Graham Nicol

« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2013 at 20:51 »
Yes, Simon Cooper of Fishing Breaks has done a fantastic job with the fishing on this stretch. I find fishing beats 1 and 2 ie the lowest ones are the best for thymallus thymallus for the water is deeper and the fish feel more protected. As the river is generally shallow by nature and clear a black klinkhamer is successful or a red tag. I have had great success with these dries in the depth of Winter there with a hard frost on the ground. Great stuff. The beat opposite Middleton is called Compton and likewise has some linkers of grayling. Problem is they stock with rainbows there and they are a damn nuisance in Autumn. Really shouldn't be allowed on the Test

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #6 on: 31/07/2013 at 22:13 »
Agree about the Rainbows! They are getting fewer and fewer though it seems.

There were some cracking Grayling last week at Middleton too. I also witnessed a large Pike ambush a trout of about 12" under the bank. Brutal!

Ewan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com