Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

hill loch day out
« on: 21/07/2013 at 22:47 »
Ed Fish, Euan Soundmixer and myself had a grand day walking in to fish a wee hill loch. Very bright sun all day (though not as bright as my sunburned arms look now!) but some fishes were kind enough to play ball.

A couple of pics to follow - just the right kind of day - good craic, good coffee courtesy of Euan, olives and other tapas courtesy of Ed (who says we're uncouth!), some nice fish and a chance to compare lines & rods.

Nice place for a sunday:

my best of the day was a buttery brown of exactly 1lb:

Sometimes this fishing lark is such hard work:

cheers
iain

Iain Cameron

Re: hill loch day out
« Reply #1 on: 21/07/2013 at 22:53 »
a couple more:

golden brown, texture like sun:

3 little boys had 3 little toys; each had an SLX :-)

killer spider. seriously, this thing stalked me and tried to wrap me in spider silk

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 21/07/2013 at 23:03 »
Iain, Euan,
great day out on a nice wee loch not too far from home. The trots were surprisingly accommodating considering the blazing sun. I would definitely be up for another visit with the tent and additional refreshments for a couple of days and see if we can do it justice without the sun on the water. I am glad the spider was chasing you I might have lost a square go with it I have never seen one like that before.

Good craic and excellent coffee from Euan and it was fun to try different 4 weight rods with the same line.

I will put up additional photos later.

Eddie. :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 21/07/2013 at 23:12 »
Great stuff guys, it's really nice up there! :z16

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Best wishes
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 21/07/2013 at 23:14 »
Been a long time since i was last up that kneck of the woods, looks like a cracker guys  :z16
Just back from a wh :z16stle stop trout of Assynt, brazilliant  :z16 :z16  Lodsafish all on dries in blistering heat, some late mayflies on the go along with a few olives and sedges in the evening.  :z16 :z16 :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 21/07/2013 at 23:24 »

First one of the day, thank you miss Kate McLaren.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 22/07/2013 at 00:42 »

The first 3 are from today and the final one is for Alan Dryflee from a previous trip to Assynt.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 22/07/2013 at 01:02 »

Iain and Euan at the loch.

Eddie. :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 22/07/2013 at 07:42 »
Looks like grand day out guys  :z16

:z18

Jim

Kevin Muir

« Reply #9 on: 22/07/2013 at 13:35 »
Cracking photos guys, the first fish edd caught was a cracker.

Late evening or first think would be worthwhile.

Well worth taking a float tube there too.

Kev.

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 22/07/2013 at 13:42 »
Well worth taking a float tube there too

Yes and no Kev.
The boathouse side is quite shallow and can be waded easily and the tube fins would only kick up the silt.
Now the other side would be cool  :z16 Sitting off the weed beds and dropping a fly just short of them could be a hoot. That's about the only bit that would be worth tubing. It's quite a shallow loch overall

Saying all that, I still think that I'd try it  :z4

Some of my photos will appear tonight.

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 22/07/2013 at 15:11 »
Nice going chaps  :z16

H

Euan Innes

« Reply #12 on: 22/07/2013 at 20:06 »
It was indeed a grand day out!
Three grey haired kids excited about fishing for wee trout just about sums it up  :z4 Despite the weather fish rose and were caught, or more likely missed. These little buggers are FAST, really fast. And strong too. My first fish assumed the guise of a 2 pounder but turned out to be nearer a quarter of that. But oh my, they are pretty - heavily spotted, golden, buttery, shiny, feisty. The sunlight, of which there was lots, really brought out the trout's best features.
So here are some of my efforts with a camera.

The Cairngorms at their best

The boat house, a store of many treasures, including mac and cheese in a can.....

Relaxed rod trials - to Helios or not to Helios, that is the question. We all had SLX lines in orange though so no arguments there!

Lunch, where three men swapped stories, food and craik, drank cowboy coffee and fought off the advances of a man eating spider. Yes Iain, man up :z7

Post lunch at the far end. All that loch for three people just makes you smile.  :z13

Looking east from the boathouse.

Thanks chaps for an excellent day out. Great drive there and back, sore ribs from laughing, and plans made for a future trip.
Just what the doctor ordered.

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 22/07/2013 at 22:46 »
and more great photos ..... excellent stuff guys :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 23/07/2013 at 01:13 »
Excellent reports and photo's chasps  :z16

Very wadable, easy to cover a bit of water.

Nice.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com