Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter

Hi Everyone
« on: 15/07/2013 at 01:16 »
Hello, and nice to be making a first post about something you may...or may not, be interested in  :cool:

I met one or two members of this forum at last years BFCC Glasgow event, and I hope to see you all again later this year. In the meantime, and in an effort to fill in something of a northern gap in the BFCC calendar, I've organised a days casting at Alnwick Rugby Club. With a good turnout, this could be another annual competition  :wink

The details and directions are in the BFCC calendar, and if anyone needs any extra help with anything, my contact details are also included. http://www.thebfcc.co.uk/events

The Rugby Club is a two minute drive from the Hardy Museum and Country Store, and another couple of minutes will get you to Barter Books where you will usually find a good selection of vintage angling titles. The Castle and Gardens provide plenty to keep the non casting better halves busy, and the town is a pleasant place to spend a weekend.

Be there or cast...erm.....square?  :z7

Ben Dixon

Re: Hi Everyone
« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2013 at 06:46 »
Hi Peter,

Good to see you here, if I can make it down to Alnwick I will.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 15/07/2013 at 07:23 »
Hi Peter,
Welcome to the forum :z16

Yes, I saw this in the club events, If I can make it down I'll be there too :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 15/07/2013 at 17:41 »
Would be a great day out, been meaning to get down to the Hardy Museum for a while, sadly on this ocassion i'm already booked up for that weekend.  Good to see you on here Peter  :z16

Peter

« Reply #4 on: 17/07/2013 at 00:52 »
Thank's for the warm welcome gentlemen, I'm not a huge forum person but I'll poke my nose in from time to time  :wink

I'm relying on you being there Ben, I need to have a look at what you've been doing with these shooting heads regarding tapers etc.  :z16

This is an open invitation to everyone, even the lurkers like me  :z4. I do hope you can all get down for the flinging of the fluff, it's a very scenic part of England, and north of Hadrians' Wall so still in the untamed part of the UK too.  :wink

DRYFLEE, maybe we can catch up at Glasgow then?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 17/07/2013 at 09:08 »
If I can make it I will Peter, not been back down to the NE for a long while.

You'd be better speaking to someone who really knows what they're doing with the heads, Lasse Karlsson or one of the Scandinavian casters.  The 27g event is their event really. 

I was practising up for the CLA yesterday and hit one at 54 metres which is a new PB for me, most were landing around the 51 - 52m mark. Conditions were perfect and I really don't think I will go any further than that.  In a flat calm, 40m is a very good cast.  With a good following wind you should be over 50m, yesterday the Coastguard estimated the wind speed to be approx 10 knots.  There are a lot of guys that go to a slightly longer head in a flat calm but for me something around 51 - 52' seems to go best regardless of the conditions.  Use the lightest RL you can away with.

Cheers

Ben

Peter

« Reply #6 on: 17/07/2013 at 22:48 »
I'll quiz a few of the ICSF guys and find out what profiles they're using Ben.

The only thing able to put a limit on your performance, is your own mind. Believe you have no limits...it's true  :wink

Thanks for the info regarding distances V conditions, and head lengths etc. I'll be out tomorrow afternoon for a practice session, so I'll find out whether I'm up to scratch or not?

I just checked the rules for the CLA and they are typically vague as usual, PLUS they still have that stupid line tray thing in place for the saltwater event. Are they scared someone might cast a long way if they drop the rule?

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 18/07/2013 at 06:10 »
I just checked the rules for the CLA and they are typically vague as usual....
No argument from me there  :cool:

PLUS they still have that stupid line tray thing in place for the saltwater event. Are they scared someone might cast a long way if they drop the rule?

I guess that's part of it. Bloody annoying rule too as running line husbandry is the principal concern, packing it away into a line tray takes time and severely limits the number of casts you can make in the generous 2 competitive minutes allowed.

:cool:

Peter

« Reply #8 on: 18/07/2013 at 10:39 »
The line tray, and the ridiculously short competition time, are two reasons I won't be spending time casting at the CLA. Maybe someone should ask the organisers exactly what they want the spectators watching, casting, or someone loading a line tray?

Good luck with the competition anyway, and I hope you both have a fun time with it  :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 04/08/2013 at 15:32 »
Hi Peter,

Do you know what the opening hours are for the Hardy Museum and Country Store on the Saturday? Can't find it ......

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

Peter

« Reply #12 on: 04/08/2013 at 23:25 »
Thanks for picking up the slack Marc :)

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #13 on: 05/08/2013 at 00:06 »
my pleasure. i guess Mike doesn't have internet so it's only normal to help...   :X2   :z4   :z7

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 05/08/2013 at 00:19 »
Mike is a bit slow at the best of times :X1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com