Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Clint Parsons

The Right Float Tubes ?-Haddo Trout Fishery
« on: 04/07/2013 at 11:43 »
Right some advise/Comments needed on float tubes
I would like to introduce Float tubes to Haddo again , not bringing your own but ones that are permanently based at the fishery(to allow us to enjoy float tubing while not bringing any possibility of diseases etc.)
Which Float tubes would you kind gents recommend and why ? my aim is to introduce a few over the coming months and have atleast 4 available for anyone should they wish to fish in this way.

personnally I love float tubing : right in the water fighting a fish on its level ,fishing with dries and being almost eye level when its taken is certainly one of my top 10 things to see and do.

:z4 :z4 

Ben Dixon

Re: The Right Float Tubes ?-Haddo Trout Fishery
« Reply #1 on: 04/07/2013 at 12:08 »
Hi Clint,

I like my Guideline having been in quite a few different tubes.  The Outcast Fish Cat is good but very expensive, the Vision Keeper is a nice design but I returned mine as the valves leaked and could be swiped off accidentally which would lead to a total delflation of one side, the valve had too coarse a thread and the thread wasnot long enough.  The Snowbee looks very similar in design to the Vision (may actually be the same tube) but I have not had one in my hand.  If the Ron Thomson ones are still available then they may be an option.  Don't get anything that means you are sitting in the water, I found that very uncomfortable, cold, restrictive, slow, just horrible.  If that was the only sort of tube available I would not have one. 
Not sure if you've used a Guideline but don't buy any of the bollocks about them being unsafe in a wind or wave with a chance of flipping it or that you will get blown about uncontrollably in a wind or move far too fast.  Having had a fair bit of use in some serious conditions now in the company of those in bidet style tubes, I believe the higher style are far less effort regarless of conditions.

(away to get my crash helmet)

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 04/07/2013 at 12:25 »
Clint

For using at Haddo I would not be looking to by expensive ones, IMHO these would be fine http://www.fishingmegastore.com/stillwater-vshaped-float-tube~10116.html

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2013 at 12:59 »
Clint

For using at Haddo I would not be looking to by expensive ones, IMHO these would be fine http://www.fishingmegastore.com/stillwater-vshaped-float-tube~10116.html

:z18

Jim

Looks identical to the Airflo Jim, fairly horrible thing and probably as likely to put folk off as the Shakey but yes, it is cheap.  My mate Lee bought one for Assynt, I think he used it once and retired it :z4

The cheap Hart or RT would probably be a better bet and Clint should be able to get at trade or close to.

Cheers
Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2013 at 14:36 »
Lots to consider ........................

Safety, durability, functionality, popularity, price and probably in that order.

You don't want to be worried about taking your eyes off your customers all day in case they take a dunking, you don't want the tubes to fall to bits because they are not up to commercial use, you want the tubes to perform well and have all the bells and whistles, you want your customers to enjoy using them and wish to return another day for another go .... and you don't want the cost to rule the sport out.

The only problem with buying good quality gear, as with so many things in life ..... is that a proportion of your customers won't look after it :z6 but I think you'll find that this is not too much of a problem with Haddo regulars.

In my experience, two good quality tubes will be far more useful than four cheaper alternatives, so just take things a step at a time :z17

Somebody posted something about some nice ones that were coming from Spain recently, but I can't remember where I saw it. I'll try and find it.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 04/07/2013 at 14:49 »
The biggest Hart would be worth a try ( maybe one initially ) available from GAC http://www.fishingmegastore.com/hart-vi-big-float-tube~17353.html?&filter_sortby=name+asc .... or I think this was the Spanish connection http://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fishing/hart-vi-big/44440/p and you'll need flippers.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 04/07/2013 at 15:46 »
What about waders? I would have thought waders were more of a risk when it comes to brining in hte unwanted than a float tube...oh..and nets :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 04/07/2013 at 15:50 »
Good point Rob .... I think you'll find that Clint has that covered :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 04/07/2013 at 15:54 »
I think you'll find that Clint has that covered :cool:

:z16 :z16

Cling film?

On a walk around Aboyne the other night I found someone wading...we was wrapped chest high in cling film. I think he was after some young ducks as he has a bamboo cane with a wee noose on the end. (police informed)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 04/07/2013 at 16:02 »
we was wrapped chest high in cling film

"We" ...... :shock

Noel Kelly

« Reply #10 on: 04/07/2013 at 16:38 »
"We" ...... :shock
:shock :shock :shock

How bout a few different types? Be nice to try some different makes. Wouldn't be surprised if a few manufacturers weren't willing to offer a trial tube?

Clint Parsons

« Reply #11 on: 08/07/2013 at 20:28 »
Thanks gents lots to consider  :z16 like the idea of one at a time to find the right one will keep you posted

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com