Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Re: Scottish Game Fair
« Reply #15 on: 04/07/2013 at 23:26 »
Couldn't agree more Mike, use it or lose it as they say

Well it's lost.  :cry

Until the rod makers come back it will always just be poundshop. I remember tying flies with Hamish on a stand to promote a Scottish materials company - just a wee tent, there to sell their wares. Fishermans row was just that - all the main rod and line makers. Bargains could be had, deals could be made and in the last hour of the last day those who had worked there (for free) could get a bit more off.

Now if we can bring that back and get more than Orvis to have a stand, and well done to Orvis for actually doing that, then it might be worth going to. If someone shows interest in a range of rods and want to think about it, then the nearest stockist to their home town could do a follow up and invite them in for a demo. That sh*t isn't hard FFS.

Or is it that they just want your money and not your loyalty? My missus is heading there tomorrow so I'm sure I'll get a full report, but me no go.

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 05/07/2013 at 08:10 »
Couldn't agree more Mike, use it or lose it as they say :z18

The Game Fair is well used, as can be seen by the car park, its Fishermans Row that lets it down.

If you are into other country pursuits, then you are well catered for, but Fishermans Row has shrunk and has become a bit of a flea market. There are a few retailers that are ok, but again, I can go to their shop or order online and not have to pay a large entrance fee :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #17 on: 05/07/2013 at 12:01 »
Now if we can bring that back and get more than Orvis to have a stand, and well done to Orvis for actually doing that, then it might be worth going to.

Orvis are not doing it this year nor were they in attendence last year, it is no longer a profitable exercise and at best a manufaturer will break even but usually wll struggle to cover costs. 

Yes you can see some of the latest gear and in some instances (Orvis) actually go and play with it, but it is extremely limited to how it used to be.

Right, soap box time!

Yes and then the punter will go home and buy from a bedroom dealer or from USA to save a few quid.  The reason you get stuff there that cannot be shifted Rob is because it only makes sense to take stock that needs to be liquidated as no one wants to pay full price at Scone.  Why lump along all the premium full priced stock when all you get is some clown coming to the stand telling you that X is not worth that amount of money and you are ripping folk off etc.  Or, I can get that off the internet for £X.XX.  Bigger issue is not regarding Scone but, rather that if anglers want to be able to try stuff or even see it in the flesh then they need to support their local retailers rather than look to save £0.50 here or £10 there and buy from the net.  Tackle shops are like a lot of things in life, if you don't use them, you lose them.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 05/07/2013 at 13:47 »
Yes and then the punter will go home and buy from a bedroom dealer or from USA to save a few quid. 

That is not my point Ben, and that is why I said retailers should be limited.

If a manufacturer is at the game fair, and someone buys a rod direct from them, they make a profit.
If that person buys from a retailer at the game fair, the manufacturer will still have made money as the retailer whould have bought stock from them.
If that person buys from the internet/US, the manufacturer still makes money as again, the stockist must have bought from the manufacturer.
If the manufacturer was not at the game fair and someone wanted to try a rod, but saw a rivals rod elsewhere, the manufacturer as lost out totally.

If I were parting with £500, I would rather visit the manufacturer and have a play with a rod and speak to the designers/makers rather than buy unseen from an online dealer.

Local retailers are not a viable option in many cases. You do not sell Hardy, Somers does not sell Orvis, Bains does not sell either..so how do I compare them?

I find it interesting that you say Orvis does not think it profitable. I would never have bought an Access or a Helios without trying. I may not have bought at the gamefair, but I did buy eventually. I know others have not spent their money until they have tried a rod from a manufacturer, so is it not a little short sighted to say that because the manufacturer did not make the sale at the Gamefair, then its not profitable?

Just a thought :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #19 on: 05/07/2013 at 13:59 »
I see your point Rob but it is not really a cost effective way of promoting product.  For the same cash (much less actually) as it takes to do a game fair at manufacturer level and make it look good and professional, a series of magazine ad's will reach far more potential customers.  Customers will go and search out what they want from dealers or whoever.  I'm not sure about your Helios Rob but I'm fairly certain you did not try your Access at a game fair or show, I think you went to your local outlet who arranged a trial there and then :z7

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 05/07/2013 at 15:15 »
I did indeed have a trial of the Access at my local retailers, but I actually had my first cast of one at the Game Fair..I do belive Hamish thrust a rod into my hand...and then removed it and gave me an Access instead! ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 05/07/2013 at 22:25 »
In the main ring at the Game Fair today :cool: ..... more pics to follow

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 05/07/2013 at 22:33 »
A couple more from today :cool: ...... more pics to follow

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 05/07/2013 at 23:24 »
A couple more from today :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 06/07/2013 at 11:57 »
And a few more ......... :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 06/07/2013 at 15:32 »
So .... what did I find?

Fisherman's row did not have a lot of fishing stands in it, about half of them were fishing I guess, if you took out the clothes stands etc and apart from a couple of online fly tying suppliers, all were tackle shops ...... no presence from any brands or manufacturers.

The casting demos given by Andy and Scott were first class, both in the main ring and on the water. The GAIA stand with Peter tying flies and the booking table for short tuition slots was fine and the GAIA stand down at the water was kept busy as the meeting point for folk going for their tuition, nice to chat with Peter, Brian, Tamas and Nigel for a while.

Apart from that, the Reedman weed cutting stand caught my attention, the Dundee firm that sold fishery type boats ( both of which I no longer have a need for ) and I enjoyed having a chat with the folk on the Hilltrek outdoor clothing stand.

The casting competitions today and tomorrow would hopefully add to the things to see :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 07/07/2013 at 01:08 »
Any results from the casting competitions at the Scottish Game Fair today?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #27 on: 08/07/2013 at 07:43 »
I enjoyed having a chat with the folk on the Hilltrek outdoor clothing stand.

Annnnnnnd?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 08/07/2013 at 09:01 »
Annnnnnnd?

Annnnnnd ...... I enjoyed having a chat with the folk on the Hilltrek outdoor clothing stand. :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 08/07/2013 at 09:57 »
Did anybody else go? :z8

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com