Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Scottish Game Fair
« on: 03/07/2013 at 15:19 »
Scottish Game Fair this weekend .......... anybody going down?

http://www.scottishfair.com/

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

Re: Scottish Game Fair
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2013 at 15:33 »
On Call Mike  :z6

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2013 at 18:57 »
Nope as the last one I went to was shit.

H :z10

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2013 at 21:10 »
Don't sugar coat it Hamish...tell it like it is!  :z4  :z14

Ewan

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 03/07/2013 at 21:53 »
Tying flies on the GAIA stand if anyones passing give me a shout its always nice to put names to faces

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 03/07/2013 at 22:42 »
Don't sugar coat it Hamish...tell it like it is!  :z4  :z14

Ewan

Hell yes  :z13
Tying flies on the GAIA stand if anyones passing give me a shout its always nice to put names to faces
Got all the glue you need Peter :? Seem to recall you like a wee drop of glue :wink Sure Ben will have some at the shop...... :z13 :X2

H :wink

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 03/07/2013 at 23:26 »
Not making this one as GAIA have all the help they need.
Heading to Leven anyway.  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 04/07/2013 at 07:55 »
Nope as the last one I went to was shit.

H :z10

:z16

What happened to the manufacturers having stands? (Orvis excepted). That was the best bit for me, going and talking to the folk that actually built and designed the gear. There used to be an antuque tackle stand as well that had some great old reels and so on.

Think I will give it a miss this year.

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 04/07/2013 at 08:47 »
I agree Rob, Anglers row is a shadow of its former self and that's why I go.
As it is now so depleted of fishing 'stuff' the Scottish Game Fair is just not for me. OK, there's still plenty of other stuff to see and do but what I want/would like to see just isn't there.
CLA on the other hand  :z16 Also worth going to Moy  :z17

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 04/07/2013 at 08:55 »
One of the reasons for me going down is to suss out if I feel it would be worth having a Barrio stand there next year :wink

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 04/07/2013 at 09:36 »
What, at the Scottish Game Fair :? CLA would be better IMHO :z17 Then again, maybe this years Scottish Game Fair will be a step forward and be 'like it was' back in the old days when spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri - and they were scared every time they went near my fly tying kit.

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 04/07/2013 at 10:32 »
Hmmmm ...... interesting posts :z6

I think it would be fair to say that if we lose interest in an event for whatever reason and do not attend, this increases the possibility of us losing the event?

Would we rather enjoy an event as a day out in Scotland, or drive all the way down to the CLA?

I'm not being funny here ..... just wondering what can be done to "revamp" interest in an event like the Scottish Game Fair?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 04/07/2013 at 13:21 »
I'm not being funny here ..... just wondering what can be done to "revamp" interest in an event like the Scottish Game Fair?

Hi Mike. Right, soap box time!

I see the Scone Game Fair as a place where certain shops offload items they cannot sell. Often, those items can be bought cheaper online or, in the case of one shop, cheaper at the shop itself!

Yes you can see some of the latest gear and in some instances (Orvis) actually go and play with it, but it is extremely limited to how it used to be.

I would much rather see "retail" stalls limited and a return to manufacturers having a presence. I don't want to go and buy stuff I can buy anywhere, but I do want to go and see items that are about to be released, to have a cast of rods or perhaps speak to the people that actually design the rods/reels/lines (Barrio!!)

The manufacturers just do not seem to be bothered these days despite much greater competition. Back in the day you had Hardy, B&W, Greys and maybe Sage/Loomis. Now you can add another 10 companies all producing top quality gear, so why are they not out there showing it off at the Game Fair?

Strangely, all the major coarse manufacturers all have stalls at the CLA.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 04/07/2013 at 16:07 »
Not making this one as GAIA have all the help they need.
Heading to Leven anyway.  :z16

Plenty fish up at N Bhoy i hear Alan!

I will be heading down to the game fair on Saturday!

Peter McCallum

« Reply #14 on: 04/07/2013 at 21:09 »
Hmmmm ...... interesting posts :z6

I think it would be fair to say that if we lose interest in an event for whatever reason and do not attend, this increases the possibility of us losing the event?

Would we rather enjoy an event as a day out in Scotland, or drive all the way down to the CLA?

Cheers
Mike

Couldn't agree more Mike, use it or lose it as they say :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com