Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andy Macbog

Noran Water
« on: 14/06/2013 at 00:11 »
Hi Folks,

Been a while since I have been here and I have quite enjoyed catching up on some good threads!

In the interim, I have just moved to close by the Noran Water.  It is quite enchanting along here with gorges and tree-lined/choked banks.  Yet to do any proper fish-spotting but it must be relatively productive and I read in the History of Brechin to 1864 that it was noted for its trout then?  Though I also read that one derivation of Brechin might be Place of the Small Trout.  If I knew that before I came I might not have come, and discovered the joys of salmon!

Anyway, I was just wondering what anyone knew of the Noran Water.  I am not looking for 'directions' - I am happy to explore it myself.  But, for example, I just found out my main haunt, the Westie, had its Loups dynamited in the 1920s or so, to open its spawning grounds.  So I reckon it's always worth asking because you never know what you might learn?  Even a tale or two ... and I'll probably report back at some point on how many branches I have caught, flies lost and numbers of times on me earse ... or afloat?  It looks like it could be like that ...

Cheerly,

Andy

Jim Eddie

Re: Noran Water
« Reply #1 on: 14/06/2013 at 07:38 »
Andy
I stayed at Noranside as a bairn, many moons ago. Had great fun fishing the Noran water but it was so long ago can't really offer any advise.

:z18

Jim

Andy Macbog

« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2013 at 19:07 »
Hi Jim,

Great place to grow up.  And well done on doing so - its quite an 'adventurous' river!  I have read the tale of one young lad who drowned at Vayne.  But a long time ago, when the castle was active.

Thanks for posting,

Andy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 17/06/2013 at 14:02 »
Hi Jim,

Great place to grow up.  And well done on doing so - its quite an 'adventurous' river!  I have read the tale of one young lad who drowned at Vayne.  But a long time ago, when the castle was active.

Thanks for posting,

Andy

Andy

Was not quite brought up there just a year out from Glasgow while the old man was doing training at the Borstal as it was at the time. The stretch of the noran water was quite open at that point. One thing I do recall, one summer evening we went exploring and waded the river and went up the hill into the wood at the other side of the river. we found a monument , pretty overgrown to mark the spot where the last known wolf was shot in Angus.

Jim

Andy Macbog

« Reply #4 on: 01/07/2013 at 14:14 »
Aye,

I've heard of the monument, but yet to go looking for it!

Its all gone a bit pete-tong though as my lovely lady and son were on their way for a dander down the river when they got a mouthful from the bullish, local farmer who has evidently not heard the the Scottish Outdoor Access Code or 21st Century!  Quite amazed as it is only the third time I have encountered that attitude in 25 years of walking and surveying the countryside.  And why did it have to be here!

Funny old world,

Andy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 01/07/2013 at 14:32 »
Aye,

I've heard of the monument, but yet to go looking for it!

Its all gone a bit pete-tong though as my lovely lady and son were on their way for a dander down the river when they got a mouthful from the bullish, local farmer who has evidently not heard the the Scottish Outdoor Access Code or 21st Century!  Quite amazed as it is only the third time I have encountered that attitude in 25 years of walking and surveying the countryside.  And why did it have to be here!

Funny old world,

Andy

Sorry to hear that Andy , nobody ever bothered us , mind you that was last centuary  :wink The monument was in the wood across the river from the hamlet of Noranside.

Jim   

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com