Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

JRLA

Re: Fishing with spiders effectively
« Reply #15 on: 07/06/2013 at 02:41 »
Well, after all the insightful help and tips, I thought it would be polite to show how I got on during my three weeks leave:

Spent a fair bit of time practising on the ADAA waters, mainly trying to fish upstream Spiders.  Due to lack of time for fly tying, I was using Partridge and Orange, Partridge and Green & Stewarts Spiders.  Probably had 5 trips of 6 hours from 1000 to 1600.

Caught plenty small trout, but only 1 good fish of a 1.5lb, all released of course. (cannot get picture to upload) Rest were less than 1/3lb.  

I have sussed out upstream bite detection providing I do not cast more than, say, 15ft of fly line.  Anymore than that I start to strugle to pick up the 'dart' of the line.
Been fishing relatively fast water and avoiding slow deep water

Q1 - Is the deliberate avoidance of deep slow water an incorrect assumption? Spiders look like they should be fished in broken and fast water
Q2 - Would you suggest this approx 25ft range limitation is too small / close for larger fish? This is kind of related to Q1, if the water is not fast and broken, then it must be very difficult to wade so close to a larger fish :z8

This is my first season with the club, first sustained attempt at spider fishing and I think it has been an encouraging start.  Bloody exhasting though!!! 

Cheers!

James

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 13/06/2013 at 08:16 »
I am certainly no expert on this, but I was fishing spiders on a slow stretch last weekend. I would say the water was around 5-7 feet deep and no boils etc. As the water was "calmer" I could lengthen my cast and allow a bigger "sweep" of the flies. This resulted in 5 or 6 bonus fish and the biggest of the evening (although still only a pound or so). and still see/feel takes.

Reading between the lines of some of the articles on Spider fishing, i get the impression that if you see a lot of flies coming off, but few trout rising, then spiders can be the answer on "flater" water as the trout are probably taking the nymphs sub surface.

Certainly worked for me that night. But like everything in fishing, I bet I could go back in identical conditions and not catch a thing!

Allan Liddle

« Reply #17 on: 13/06/2013 at 14:05 »
Often it's a case of presenting an easy meal at a depth suited to the fish not having to move very far in water that's not had much in the way of rod pressure, i.e. covering fish others haven't.  :wink

Noglaks

« Reply #18 on: 09/03/2014 at 13:49 »
I have a Sharpes 9ft 6wt which fishes5 and sometimes 4 DTs for nearly all my dry/nymph fishing. I bought it to replace my 8ft Fosters of Ashbourne 'The Arrow', and though I still use the Foster rod a lot, the Sharpes 9ft is much more versatile and will easily fish a 7WF with a sinking head on a small river near me for grilse. Excellent service from Sharpes as well as it being a local company.
DH.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com