Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Teeth
« on: 01/05/2013 at 07:12 »
A mate brought a trout head in to me yesterday from a trout that had been resident in a friends garden lake.  The lake is man made and was stocked a few years back with small trout, this one had obviously found something decent to sustain itself.

Never seen teeth like it, I know the flesh has shrunk back but these are fairly formidable.

Cheers
Ben

Sandy Nelson

Re: Teeth
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/2013 at 07:16 »
Awesome :shock

I like fish with teeth :z16, anything going in there wasn't getting back out!

Sandy

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2013 at 07:17 »

Never seen teeth like it, I know the flesh has shrunk back but these are fairly formidable.

a new species of essox truttius! wouldn't fancy removing a wee hook from that trout

Mark Zhang

« Reply #3 on: 01/05/2013 at 09:32 »
Do you think he needs the teeth to eat other trout or small fish?  ??? ??? ???

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 01/05/2013 at 09:52 »
That HAS to be a Brook Trout. I believe they are the only trout to have "throat teeth" as can be seen in the second photo.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2013 at 10:22 »
Float tube for SALE!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 01/05/2013 at 10:32 »
That HAS to be a Brook Trout.

Sorry mate, it is definitely a brownie. 
Guy dug lined, filled and stocked the lake himself and another few shots of the had I didn't post have some skin still attached which confirms it to me as a brown trout.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 01/05/2013 at 11:10 »
Sorry mate, it is definitely a brownie. 
Guy dug lined, filled and stocked the lake himself and another few shots of the had I didn't post have some skin still attached which confirms it to me as a brown trout.

Any chance of a sample for the Labs?

Was this fish from down south?

Loxiafan

« Reply #8 on: 01/05/2013 at 11:17 »
That HAS to be a Brook Trout. I believe they are the only trout to have "throat teeth" as can be seen in the second photo.

Not so dude. I caught a 'Brown' Trout out of the Ae ( Annan Trib) that was 4 lbs and it had teeth like that eg. in rows backward pointing and down the mouth like a shark. The consensus was this was a Sea going Brownie, a Bull Trout. In  those days (correction 1984 - I'm even older than I think  :cry) Brown and Sea Trout were regarded as separate species.

My specimen did not have quite so pronounced front teeth as the one above.

Anyone called Jeremy Wade yet  :z4

L

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 01/05/2013 at 11:23 »
Any chance of a sample for the Labs?

Was this fish from down south?

No, local garden "pond" as stated above it has only ever contained brown trout.  Sample not required!

Head now in bin, it was stinking.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 01/05/2013 at 11:36 »
No, local garden "pond" as stated above it has only ever contained brown trout. 

Would not be the first time a consignment of Brown trout from a fish farm has turned up containing one or two "strays" in the form of African Tiger Fish!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 01/05/2013 at 11:37 »
More dissappearing posts :z8

Weird :shock

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 01/05/2013 at 12:16 »
I sometimes lose a post if I preview it Sandy, could this be what's happening? I'm getting old and a bit slow and what I've done sometimes is viewed the preview and then ( since my brain thinks I'm reading the post :z4 ) clicked on whatever link to continue without having gone back down the page to click the "Post" button :oops

But, if I do this, I can hit "back" in my browser and it will take me back to the message form with all my text in it ready to post :wink

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 01/05/2013 at 12:23 »
I sometimes lose a post if I preview it Sandy, could this be what's happening? I'm getting old and a bit slow and what I've done sometimes is viewed the preview and then ( since my brain thinks I'm reading the post :z4 ) clicked on whatever link to continue without having gone back down the page to click the "Post" button :oops

But, if I do this, I can hit "back" in my browser and it will take me back to the message form with all my text in it ready to post :wink

Cheers
Mike

It wasn't my post, i just watched it dissappear while reading them :z10 I suppose Rob might have deleted it himself :z8

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 01/05/2013 at 13:38 »
I did delete my post as I felt it might be taken the wrong way since Ben was using lots of !!!  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com