Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Spey O Rama 2013 - results and stuff
« on: 26/04/2013 at 08:19 »
Lots of stuff in here worth reading folks......
http://flyfishingresearch.net/speycasting/speyorama2013.html
But a couple of the headlines are:
Gerard Downey sets (another :!) world record with a 15ft rod and makes a cast of 187ft or just over 62 yards.
Gerard Downey is shocked and stunned as Geir Hansen from Norway destroys this record 24hrs later with a cast of 191ft or 63.6 yards :!
Following the disbandment of the Carron competition team, James Chalmers reappears at the helm of GaelForce lines/rods and the brand is immediately competitive. The CLA promises to be interesting.

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

Re: Spey O Rama 2013 - results and stuff
« Reply #1 on: 28/04/2013 at 00:38 »
So, how long before we see a 200 ft cast?

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 28/04/2013 at 07:30 »
I would like to think Ben isn't all that far away from being that competitive with the 15' so maybe we should ask him :z17
My guess is it will not be long until we see a 61 metre cast with a 15' and possibly longer.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 28/04/2013 at 08:58 »
I would like to think Ben isn't all that far away from being that competitive with the 15' so maybe we should ask him :z17
My guess is it will not be long until we see a 61 metre cast with a 15' and possibly longer.

Thanks H, problem is that it needs to be left and right hand up  :z6

I reckon it has been done in practice somewhere by someone already, it is definitely possible but for that kind of distance everything has to be perfect in terms of conditions. 
My best measured right hand cast to date is 58.5m which is about 192'.  I can throw the thing but I'm hardly world class with it.  When I was doing a lot with the 15'er I was consistent at about 180' right hand up and the left hand best has only ever been about 155' but I'm a long way off that now.  It's amazing how fast it drops off when you stop practising and unless conditions are good it is pointless picking up the long heads.

Maybe get the tape out along the dam wall next time I'm up with you.

Hoping to get a few still mornings this week to get out with the 18'er  :cool:

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com