Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: Fishing The Fly Sponsored Trip to New Zealand!
« Reply #15 on: 20/03/2013 at 07:47 »
Steven

Brett is very good, so fingers crossed.
I wouldn't have classed any of the rivers as small stream fishing.
I did well because of distance casting, a lot of my fish were taken on size 14/16 tungsten headed nymphs fished NZ style under a dry. Brett kept us right. It was different to the don but more fun, probably because the average fish were about 18" rather than 8"
I'd practice long range presentation :z16

The cleaning thing is an issue at immigration in the airport, they even made us unpack the cases so they could see our hiking gear in case we were bringing soil in. If you take fishing gear expect the 3rd degree :z5
As you say Respect to them for it, but it is a pain.

Sandy

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #16 on: 20/03/2013 at 08:37 »
Got some great news Sandy!

Brett got back to me this morning (kl time) and advised that he is free for the duration of my trip!  :z16

Just got to sit down with the mrs tonight and decide what we are doing and when.  For me I think I will give the quad biking trip a go and take it from there.

As strange as this may sound I am actually quite happy to hear the distance accuracy thing!  It's what I have mostly been concentrating on for the past year here in Malaysia when chasing Snakehead.  Will take the Sage out again tonight and have a play around with it.  Had to swap over to my tropical lines last night though as the GT90 feels really limp in this climate (as is to be expected really).

Looking forward to this even more now that a plan seems to be coming together!  He did say that the Lake itself has been fishing well lately which may be a good shout for one day as it means that Emma can come along and be in with just as much of a chance as I do.  Mind you I must admit the one go I have had at harling on the Tay did absolutely nothing for me so i'm not 100% on that yet.

R.e the gear issue I hear you!  Very frustrating indeed but needs must I suppose!  I've already taken all the fly reels apart and given them what I would consider a good clean (we shall wait and see if their interpretation is different) and wiped down all the lines.  I hadn't actually thought about my hiking boots etc, will have to go and get all that sorted this week.  Her's are brand new but my Scarpa's are currently in a fair old state! 

I think the biggest issue will be the cleaning of everything between rivers once in country.  I read somewhere that Didymo treatment packs are available so i'll have to get that sorted out sharpish. 

Where did you stay when you visited Brett?  He has offered me his cabin/summer house for $100 a night so I think we will stay there for a couple of nights but definitely want to be hiring a camper van and tour around the Island (with the rod set up in the back at all times just in case  :wink)

Thanks again for all your help!

:z18

Steven.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 20/03/2013 at 09:41 »
Hi Steven

That's really cool, Bretts a really nice guy and a good angler.
We were staying in Taupo right on the lake in the motel. It was really nice.
Brett lives on the west of the lake further from the town, but it is rather lovely.
He'll keep you on the fish as well.

Our original plan was for quad bikes, but Dan was too big to be a passenger and too young to drive.
But it sounded like the best trip. Mind you our backcounty fishing was just awesome so no regrets at all.
The lake is MASSIVE , not really my thing but the rivers are fabulous.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about.
Have a blast and pass my regards on to Brett, though I doubt he remember Dan and I, it was 2 years ago.

Cheers

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 02/05/2013 at 14:11 »
So Steven

How did you get on :z8
I trust the wife is still talking to you :z7

Cheers

Sandy

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #19 on: 02/05/2013 at 14:29 »
Sandy,

Apologies for the delayed report, im out fishing right now as i happens. Ill sort out the report at work tomorrow.

Let's just say it was the trip of a lifetime (and she is somehow still speaking to me).

Not sure if the pic above will work, never tried to upload from my phone before.

Cheers,

Steven.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 02/05/2013 at 22:02 »
Cool

Looking forward to that :z18

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #21 on: 02/05/2013 at 22:09 »
Sandy,
I am looking forward to getting my tackle back.

Eddie. :z8

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: 02/05/2013 at 22:13 »
In that picture Eddie, he looks just like you :z7

You reckon you'll get the stuff back :z4 :z4

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #23 on: 02/05/2013 at 22:15 »
I am not sure but Steven claimed it was in the air somewhere on Monday, I am guessing the plane flies more slowly on the way back, Hopefully I will see some of it soon, however it is a good thing that I have spent some time at the vice recently, at least I have some flies to throw at the Don tomorrow.

Eddie. :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 02/05/2013 at 22:19 »
Tightlines tomorrow :z16

Sandy

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #25 on: 03/05/2013 at 03:29 »
Sandy as promised (eventually),

We contacted Kiwi Guide Brett Cameron upon Sandy's recommendation  :z14 and booked a days guided trout fishing on a small back country feeder stream of Lake Taupo with the added excitement of a Quad Bike ride in and out.

Brett came and met us at our campsite at first light with the 4x4 and quads in tow.  We headed out of Taupo and drove for circa 45 minutes, parked up and offloaded the quads, that's when the fun began!

Brett had asked me on the drive up as to whether or not I had ridden a quad in the past.  I had foolishly mentioned that I had ridden friends racing quads in the past and that the trail shouldn't be too much of an issue, trouble is none of my friends were from Kiwi Ex-Farming stock so hadn't grown up riding quads their entire lives!  So we jumped on board and I had the Mrs on the back.  Brett had said just to let him know if I was struggling to keep up and he would hold back.  I had decided that wasn't going to be happening, so after another 45 minutes of flat out, and I REALLY do mean flat out trail riding we somehow made it to the river in one piece.

When we arrived at the river, Brett noticed that they had released additional water from a Dam upstream do help deal with the major drought they had been experiencing all summer, this was a double edged sword as although this meant that the river was at a nice height for fishing, it has also added a milky hue to the water, which would make spotting fish very difficult.  With this in mind the decision was made to fish blind with a duo nymph rig and just work our way upstream covering any likely holding spots.

Within the first ten minutes I had hooked and landed my first trout.  Brett laughed at the fact I had managed to travel all the way to New Zealand and land the smallest trout he had ever seen in the river (1/2 lb) and assured me that they could only get bigger!  Sure enough 5 minutes later I landed a rainbow of 3/4 lb, he was right about the getting bigger part but I was starting to feel a bit deflated after hearing all these stories of real rod benders!

I needn't have worried though as the next 8 fish for the day all went past 3 lbs!

Then there was my best part of the trip!  I had been discussing with brett all day about our trout preferences, his most definitely Rainbow's whilst my own naturally being browns.  I had been steadily catching rainbows and was by no means complaining but I just HAD to land a brown!  Then as we turned a sharp bend we spotted a nice brown seemingly basking in less than 2 feet of water, now was my big chance!  I'm not going to lie, the thought of covering a good sized trout in 2 feet of water at considerable range was certainly a bum twitching moment.  I laid out what I thought to be the right length of line downstream and reeled in the surplus.  With one false cast the team of nymphs dropped around 5 feet above the fish  :z4 :z4 :z4 I thought to myself "Steven if the fish doesn't take don't be upset you have done everything you could have" I watched the hare and copper drop down in the water and the brownie lazily opened his mouth and BANG! FISH ON!!!!

Now I don't know about anybody else reading this but for me I can't imagine a better feeling in the world!  I had sighted the fish, watched his behavior, worked out the correct length of line and covered him perfectly first cast!  :cool: I have not and probably will not ever have a better fishing moment in my life!

and here was my reward!

All in all it was the best days fishing I have ever had!  Brett was an absolute gent who had a genuine passion for what he does backed up with a wealth of fishing knowledge!  Mr Nelson I cannot thank you enough!

I hope anybody reading this has enjoyed my wee report and I would seriously advise anybody considering a trip to go for it!

Steven.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #26 on: 03/05/2013 at 06:04 »
Really excellent report, your excitement and enjoyment comes across very well. Nice one , thanks :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 03/05/2013 at 06:06 »
Awesome report Steven

I can imagine being there too :z18 Magic.

Gorgeous brownie too :z14

Sandy

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #28 on: 03/05/2013 at 07:47 »
Thanks guys!

I was physically shaking after landing the brownie!  It wasn't the biggest fish of the trip but for me was by far the most rewarding! 

On the other hand though it was a BIG reminder of just how much I miss Scotland  :cry I was out chasing Amazonian Catfish last night and although I landed 7 to 24 lbs I just kept thinking to myself I would much rather be on the Cowie at 2 am chasing seatrout in the dark!  :z16

Every time I sit down at the vice to tie Surf Candy's and Gurgler's I end up walking away with a dozen F Flies and hares lugs. 

Something has got to change...

Steven.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #29 on: 03/05/2013 at 09:20 »
dead F*****g jealous. :z19

Looks like a real great trip you've had  :z14

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com