Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

As some of you already know for the last year or so I have been having some great fun catching these on the fly  :cool:

But anyone who knows me, will realise just how badly I am missing my Trout Fishing at home in Scotland  :cry

So with this in mind, I somehow managed to convince my wife that our Honeymoon should be spent in New Zealand!  :z16 As per usual I have left everything until the last minute and it suddenly dawned on me last week whilst booking the flights that I had next to no trout fishing gear with me in Malaysia!  Since we are flying there March 30th Panic suddenly struck in and a quick phone call to my Dad (Edfish on the forum) was in order.

By the end of the phone call I suddenly realised that the fishing gear for this trip has almost entirely been assembled from the Forum!

The current list of gear traveling with me so far is this:

Freshwater

Sage TCX 9' 6# (bought by my Dad from Sandy)
Greys 9' 6# (back-up rod stolen from my mother last time home)                              
Tibor reel (again from Sandy)
Abel 5 (Loaded with a sink tip - hoping to use this for streamers)
Barrio GT90 (bought from Mike)

Saltwater

Helios 9' 9# Tipflex (purchased from Ben)
Abel Super 10 (gifted by Dad at xmas)
Greys 9' 10# (back-up rod)
various 9# & 10# Lines including some from Ben/Sandy

With three of Dad's trout boxes and my box of Saltwater/Snakehead flies I'm more than halfway there!  :z14 :z14 :z14  Though I did notice on the delivery invoice for the trout flies these were only insured for 100 quid - wonder if I could just send the money back and keep the flies  :z5

So basically thanks to Ben, Sandy, Mike and my Dad I have enough of the main things to get me going!  This is one of the really cool things I like about this forum! I Will be picking up additional terminal tackle etc both here in Malaysia and when I arrive in NZ.

So since I feel this is somewhat of a Forum sponsored trip.  Any advice from the guys who have fished down there in the past (MIKE!) would be greatly received!  I'll even throw in the promise of writing a proper fishing report for once!

To say I am excited about the trip is a serious understatement!  Both my Dad and I have wanted to fish New Zealand for as long as I can remember!  It sucks that my Dad won't be there with me but I just see this as a reccie mission before we can make it down there together!

:z18

Steven.

Sandy Nelson

Re: Fishing The Fly Sponsored Trip to New Zealand!
« Reply #1 on: 19/03/2013 at 09:24 »
North or South Island?

I can point you towards some good people to speak too on the north, and they will probably provide gear too.

I haven't fished the South, we came home before i got the chance :cry

Try starting here

http://www.nzfishing.com/

Sandy

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 19/03/2013 at 10:04 »
Sandy,

We've pretty much settled on spending our time in the North Island as with only 12 days i imagine it would be a mad rush to try and cover both.

How did you get on when you were down there? Did you find it much more difficult than our fishing at home? (in thinking primarily the don here)

Yeah any contacts you have would be great as specific information on rivers etc seems quite hush hush (which I agree with) but a couple of pointers could come in handy!

I was toying with the idea of hiring a guide for the day, to learn the ropes so to speak. But at 400 quid a day I can't really justify it(well the wife can't)

From what I've read the two 6#'s should cover me for most trout fishing scenarios, unless I am missing something?

Cheers,

Steven.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 19/03/2013 at 17:38 »
6's should be fine.

I'd seriously look at a guide and making a day of it, We used Brett at this site http://www.cpf.net.nz/
And we went on a 4x4 trip in the backcountry around lake Taupo. The fishing was amazing. Worth every penny.
Way better than anything i experienced anywhere :z16. His Quad bike trips are supposed to be great as well.
He also provide all decent gear,waders etc so you don't need to carry anything :z16 this is a bonus as the Kiwis are real strict on what they will allow you to take with you, and how clean it is, can be a real ball ache.

My report on it is still on the forum here http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3483.0

That was my birthday, 2 years ago :shock just feels like the other week, i Soooooooooooo want to go back :cry

I think you will find plenty fishing available off your own back, but if you want to make the most of it, get a guide who knows where to take you and have an Awesome experience. :z18

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 19/03/2013 at 17:45 »
Great stuff Steven, I'm jealous of course  :wink, have a great time  :z16

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 19/03/2013 at 18:25 »
Enjoy Steven :z16

Sandy's info and help will be much more valuable than mine ..... don't forget that I left NZ as a teenager :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 19/03/2013 at 18:46 »
On a boat  :z7

Mike Barrio

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 19/03/2013 at 19:25 »
Was that with sails or steam?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 19/03/2013 at 19:37 »
Was that with sails or steam?

Not quite Eddie :z4

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 19/03/2013 at 19:47 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 19/03/2013 at 20:35 »
Just over a month on the Northern Star to get half way round the world, I wonder what that would cost nowadays! :z8

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 19/03/2013 at 20:44 »
Just over a month on the Northern Star to get half way round the world, I wonder what that would cost nowadays! :z8

Best wishes
Mike

About $100-$130 a day on a freighter Mike

http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealand/tours/boat-and-sailing-tours/international/freighter-travel

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 19/03/2013 at 21:47 »
No jet lag Jim, but a bit pricey :z4

Cheers
Mike

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: 20/03/2013 at 02:48 »
6's should be fine.

I'd seriously look at a guide and making a day of it, We used Brett at this site http://www.cpf.net.nz/
And we went on a 4x4 trip in the backcountry around lake Taupo. The fishing was amazing. Worth every penny.
Way better than anything i experienced anywhere :z16. His Quad bike trips are supposed to be great as well.
He also provide all decent gear,waders etc so you don't need to carry anything :z16 this is a bonus as the Kiwis are real strict on what they will allow you to take with you, and how clean it is, can be a real ball ache.

My report on it is still on the forum here http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3483.0

That was my birthday, 2 years ago :shock just feels like the other week, i Soooooooooooo want to go back :cry

I think you will find plenty fishing available off your own back, but if you want to make the most of it, get a guide who knows where to take you and have an Awesome experience. :z18

Sandy

As always thanks for the info Sandy it's HIGHLY appreciated.

I have emailed Brett to check his availability and if he is free then that's who be going with!  His prices online are also around $200 cheaper than any others I had been looking at  :z16

I did read online about how seriously they take their Didymo problem, which can only be a good thing really, but I hear what your saying it is going to become quite a chore cleaning gear between rivers etc but I imagine it will be more than worth the hassle! 

I'm not going to be taking waders, I figure I'll give the Kiwi Wet wading a blast :cool: It will likely be freezing but I cant see it being much worse than dry wading the Dee in February :z8

From what I can ascertain all our small river patterns should fish well, with presentation being far more important than the fly choice.  I spent an hour or so last night in the garden practising b&a casts etc to try and get back into the swing of small stream fishing, but seeing as I grew up trout fishing the cowie and carron in Stonehaven most of it fell straight back into place.  :z12

I'm also going to take my Gopro out with me this weekend (chasing Peacock Bass in my Kayak) and try to get more up to speed with using the camera before I head down there.

I'm hoping to have a decent report with Video by the end of the trip.  :cool:

Steven.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com