Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

T&S picture caption.......
« on: 14/03/2013 at 18:38 »
FFS :! How hard can it be :?

If the April issue of T&S has crossed your nose and you've flicked through it (as I have) and if you're a reasonably seasoned fisher in the Highlands you'll note the somewhat large error on pages 4&5 of said issue.

Perhaps what the caption should read is something like this:

Covering a mere four acres 'Little' Loch Awe is one of Scotland's best kept secrets and although it is a gentle two minute walk from the A837 to the waters edge this great wee loch feels very remote.  Stuffed full of hard fighting trout a day afloat here (no bank fishing or float tubing) should yield plenty of feisty brown trout to around 1.25lbs in weight. The mayfly hatch can be incredible on this small Highland gem so its worthwhile carrying a few mayfly patterns with you along with a selection of modern and conventional loch patterns. Make sure you include some hedgehogs, soldier palmer, pennels, bumbles and the classic grouse and claret in sizes 10-14. Fishing is by fly only and a floating line is all you are ever likely to need save for a dapping rod which is well worth carrying.
Little Loch Awe feeds into the mighty Loch Assynt near Inchnadamph so occasional Salmon and Sea Trout do run up to the loch hence there is no Sunday fishing. The boats book up very quickly here so book well in advance or be prepared to be disappointed.

Ticket information on this and other waters in the area can be had on the excellent http://www.assyntanglinginfo.org.uk/

Now I can understand how T&S screwed up (the lochs have the same name - duh :!) but come on..... really :? Tsk tsk tsk. I expected better.
They're in different counties.... are very different sizes.... and so on.

Is it just me  :z8

H :z2

Peter McCallum

Re: T&S picture caption.......
« Reply #1 on: 14/03/2013 at 19:09 »
are very different sizes....

Sorry H that doesn't realy do the size difference justice :z4 :z4 :z4

p.s. not seen it so far but i will :z13

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 14/03/2013 at 19:30 »
Fair point Peter  :wink

Maybe I should have said earlier on in my post something like "you'll note the astonishing scale of the error on pages 4&5 of said issue" but I suppose the same thing could happen in any magazine.... particularly those where the spotty youth in on work experience (whose only real interest is if he/she will finally get a shag at the weekend) and without a GCSE in Geography or two brain cells to rub together is left to get on with putting those pages together without any form of oversight.

Is that likely :? Errrrr............... no.

I'm off for a glass of wine  :z18

H :cool:

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 14/03/2013 at 19:37 »
 :z18 :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 14/03/2013 at 20:28 »
H, I'm detecting a smidgen of vexation.

Enjoy the wine  :z16

:z18

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 14/03/2013 at 20:47 »
I am - hic - enjoying - hic - the wine - hic - very vera verrrry muchhhh  :z18

Will Shaw

« Reply #6 on: 15/03/2013 at 13:35 »
Very much looking forward to your rant in the letter pages of next issue.  :z18

W.

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 15/03/2013 at 18:49 »
I don't think so Will..... no matter how tempting it is to say something I'm sure it would get me into trouble, somewhere, somehow, sometime  :z7

Yeah OK, I'll do it :z13

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com