Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Shetland 2013
« on: 11/03/2013 at 14:58 »
Hi guys, hope i'm not intruding with this in the Outcasts section but wanted to post this up as soon as i had it all kind of organised as i know a few on here might be interested and a few others already know about it.  Yes it's a trip i've just put onto the Scottish Anglers.net site but always intended placing it on here as well (hope this is ok Mike apologies if not).
Essentially, as you can see below there's plenty room anyway and given most of us know each other already, a great way of sorting out a fantastic trip for all.  Trip limited to 27 but don't see that being an issue  :shock :z4

Ok here we go, the trip not to be missed Shetland 2013.

Dates are from Thursday 22 August evening boat from Aberdeen departs 7.00pm (allow at least an hour for check-in!) arriving around 7.30am Friday 23rd.  We then depart Lerwick again on the 7pm boat Friday 30th August (remember the hour for check-in) arriving around 7.30am Aberdeen Sat 31st.

We're sailing with Northlink www.northlinkferries.co.uk

Accomodation is at the Voxter Outdoor Centre www.voxteroutdoorcentre.co.uk And you'll need a sleeping bag, pillow case and i highly recommend ear plugs.

You'll be responsable for all your own food and drink etc and the place looks the dugs nuts, all we need for a cracking holiday / adventure.  We've also got the entire place to ourselves so no sharing with other parties.  Just type Shetland Car Hire into your search engine for a full list of hire outlets, we've opted for Bolt's and a wee van is around £210.00 plus go go juice.

Graham and me are going to walk onto the ferry and i've hired a small two seater van at the Lerwick side so we can throw our tubes n stuff in it allowing them to stay inflated all week.  Much cheaper than taking a vehicle onto the ferry, however each to thier own.

Be careful as the hire's Shetland side actually run to 8 days as we're not getting the evening boat back.

If pairing up's not for you, then you can reduce costs by making a wee group and splitting the costs three or four ways, or by taking a smaller vehicle and simply deflating the tube etc between fishing stints.

There's a cracking chip shop near the digs, plenty eating out places, shops and a tackle shop for any emergency purchases.

Fishing ranges from roadside lochs, to far flung treks, there's the chance of salt water sea trout stuff (very well worth considering), salt water species stuff (pollock, mackeral) and more lochs than a lifetime could get round.  Real chance of a rod bender or two, but even that aside you will certainly experience quality trout fishingamongst the best our country has to offer.

More details here www.shetlandtrout.co.uk/

Booking cars and ferries is all down to you guys, as is paying your accomodation (about £10 per night).

All i ask is you place your names on here if you are definate, i'll update the list regularly and forward the details onto Voxter so they can have an accurate record for numbers / payment etc.

So far we have four confirmed, me, G Young, H. Lockhart (waterboys) and J.Doig.  As said it's a joint forum trip and i'll co-ordinate numbers but as you can see it's pretty much a come and go as you please and you're essentially responsable for yourselves anyway, all i've done is pick a date and list the accom / travel arrangements.

There's a Tesco in Lerwick where we i'm going to stop off first and get my week's supplies (given licencing laws mean i can't get beer before 10.00am anyway  :z4) and i'll probably nip into the tackle shop and get a Shetland AA annual membership (not compulsory but the least we can do to give something back, option for cheaper boats on some waters through these guys as well if you're a member in case i get fed up of the tube). 

Rooms at the digs will be as you get there, however all i ask is the leaders room upstairs is left for the trip organiser (me), you need some privilages afterall  :z4

All in all this is coming together to be a brilliant trip and i hope to run it out every year alternating between here and Orkney.  I know the potential for this place and weather permitting (the only disclaimer i'm giving  ZX2 :wink :z4) you'll have a blast.  Fish till you drop, then get back up and fish more.

There's simply hunners o waters and great opportunity for salt water troots, or salt water species as well.  Big troots, wee troots loads o troots few troots, stunnin locations, great inter island ferries opening up more troots, loads to see, loads to do, apris fish craic (drink optional this isn't the Crask  :z4 :z4 :z4) come and go as you please, fish when and where you want no permits required (apart from my Shetland AA recomendation).
I'm hoping for settled weather and some great sport on the dries.
Camera's a must you will certainly need 'em.

Cost all in (inc yer spendies) between £500-£600 (depending on what way to set it all up and if you take a berth on the boat or not) which i'm sure you'll all agree is pretty feckin cheap for what's on offer.

Shetland tourist info also has a bit more detail if you need it.

Ok hard sell over, give it a bit of thought guys and if interested please pop your name down here and i'll keep an updated list running.

Thanks to all

Allan

Mike Barrio

Re: Shetland 2013
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2013 at 09:50 »
Thanks for that Allan ..... looks like an awesome trip :z16

Would love to come along, but I'm afraid I've already got too many adventures booked for this year :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #2 on: 12/03/2013 at 13:09 »
Sounds like an awesome trip. I would def recommend a permit, they aren't expensive and as mentioned its always good to give a little back (I've always thought permits were compulsory, but either way, its def worth supporting the SAA  :z16)

cheers
J

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 12/03/2013 at 13:50 »
No problem Mike, keep a space in the diary for next year then.

Udal law dictates trout fishing free and Shetland AA request you buy a membership which allows you access to thier huts, boats etc as well as supports a fantastic local cause.  Think there may be a seperate association on Whalsey and Unst but don't quote me on that as not 100% as yet.

Anyone else fancies it more than welcome guys, just pop yer name down here, or send me a pm.

Cheers

Allan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 12/03/2013 at 17:20 »
List update:

Me, G Young, H Lockhart, J.Doig, I Cameron.

Allan L

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 18/04/2013 at 08:53 »
Update on the trip of the season.

Finally got round to booking the ferry thinking as a foot passenger it would be a simple case of walking on, however after finding out how much it would be to leave a car in Aberdeen all week, ouch.
So plan B and the car's going over too, meaning we can carry as much shite as we want.  :z4

But please note that as we are travelling on a Thursday the boat visits Kirkwall en route so it sails at 5.30pm not 7.00pm as i stated previously (oops  :oops), meaning you'd need to be there by 4.00pm to be assured of your place (even if booked apparently)

Accomodation is still at the Voxter Outdoor Centre and it is located right in the heart of some of Mainland Shetland's best lochs not to mention some of the best sea troot marks as well.  :z16  However this is all comparatively speaking as it's good everywhere to be fair.

Also i've a wee contact up there who has his own sea going boats and he's promised to give us a wee salt water run or two (close into rock pollock chasing, deeper marks for mackeral, herring etc or even, the creme de la creme, a run to an uninhabited isle where troots are known to live in some very seldom visited lochs. Drooling mouth smilie required.)

So there you are, a wee update to make those that can't make it green, or sway any who are not sure (like Kevin Muir, come on Kev get yer finger out)

Dates are still as above and pairing up (car sharing) all in (digs, food, fuel, ferries, and spendies) you're looking at around £550 (depends on how much spendies you need)

Just to be clear it's a fishing trip guys for any worrying about the apris fish celebrations, (like Noel the day looser  :z4) but that's on offer if you want it.
Me?  I'll be like a bairn in a sweet shop, too much fishing, too great a chance to explore and roam, chance of serious troot on the dries, opportunity to OD on piscatorial adventure in Scotland's Land of the Midnight Sun, bring it on, i'll sleep when i get back home.  :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com