Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Richard Wheatley closed?
« on: 30/01/2013 at 23:49 »
It looks like Richard Wheatley may have closed their doors, I am seeing comments about this on various websites today :z6

I tried to order fly boxes from http://www.richardwheatley.com/ a few moments ago and the shopping cart system does indeed appear to be closed down :z6

This is very sad news :z6

Best wishes
Mike

Steven Sinclair

Re: Richard Wheatley closed?
« Reply #1 on: 31/01/2013 at 02:23 »
Mike,

I heard the very same  :z6

Although the rumour mill at the moment is hinting that they have been bought over by an American outfit and may well start manufacturing out of the US?

:z18

Steven.

Loxiafan

« Reply #3 on: 31/01/2013 at 12:51 »
That is totally sad and grim news especially for a company that has traded since 1885. I have a couple of old Alu Clip Wheatley boxes that are cherished but I wonder has the trend of buying C&F type boxes (and copies such as Caimore) been the final nail in the coffin for Wheatley ?

I am confident someone will come in a restructure the business as it is such a well known name but sadly if may move away from these isles.

L

Graham Nicol

« Reply #4 on: 31/01/2013 at 13:54 »
I don't entirely agree for I bust a rod with their rubbish rod carriers.

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 31/01/2013 at 14:37 »
I don't entirely agree for I bust a rod with their rubbish rod carriers.

Uh ? !  ???

Graham Nicol

« Reply #6 on: 31/01/2013 at 15:28 »
Richard Wheatley not only made fly boxes but other items such as rod carriers which, with hindsight, I ought never have purchased for they had the suction strength of a bust hoover. Net result is first time I used them my rod flew off the car and shattered.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 31/01/2013 at 22:49 »
Wheatley was bought out by REC components....  but on the other hand you can now get the boxes with Jason Borger's artwork on them  :z13

http://fishfliesandwater.com/2013/01/12/j-borger-fly-fishing-the-wheatley-1608/

cheers,
marc

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 31/01/2013 at 23:26 »
$120 for a fly box :! FFS......

H :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 31/01/2013 at 23:39 »
Hi Marc :z16

I think Jason's second paragraph might be a bit confusing? He says the fly boxes are being built in Connecticut, yet his product photos with the JB fish on the front and the JB hook logo on the back, also have Wheatley Made In England on the back ..... I'm guessing that this will just be a sample and not the finished product.

Or perhaps they will keep the staff and continue to make a proportion of the products in England.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 01/02/2013 at 08:50 »
Are the Orvis "rout boxes" not Wheatley?

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2R25&dir_id=441&group_id=11449&cat_id=5008&subcat_id=5440

I got one for Christmas and it is identical to several 15-20 year old Whetleys I have (except the foam inside).

There are loads of cheaper copies on the market, perhaps a patent ran out or something?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 01/02/2013 at 13:28 »
Are the Orvis "trout boxes" not Wheatley?

Nope!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 04/02/2013 at 09:17 »
Nope!!

Hmmmmm... Not saying nuffink! ;)

Wheatly or a copy?

One costs £30, the other £8

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com