Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

River Till - info needed
« on: 27/01/2013 at 10:56 »
A wee bit of help needed here folks.

A chum 'won' a lot in last years Atlantic Salmon Trust auction on the Till. In early (following the 'loops weekend) May there will be three of us going to fish on the Ford and Etal, either in some sort of combination or just the one beat for three days:  Redscar, Upper & Lower Tindal.
Although there is some information around on the wonders of the WWW nothing beats first hand experience.
Anyone fished there :? Hints/tips :?
Looks like it'll be single handed water which suits me just fine but as I've never wet a line on the Tweed, never mind a tributary, it's something of a mini-adventure. Pays to spend some time in reconnaissance  :wink

H :z3

Jim Eddie

Re: River Till - info needed
« Reply #1 on: 27/01/2013 at 11:42 »
Spent some time in the area on holiday Hamish, visited ford and Etal, really nice place. there is a little train that runs along the banks of the Till that was about as close as I got to the river  :cry Its looked like a nice river to fish though.

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 27/01/2013 at 12:05 »
Cool, so if the fishing is shit I can indulge in a long-forgotten interest in small gauge railways or at least get a lift back up the beats :cool:

H :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 27/01/2013 at 12:28 »
 :z4  :z4  :z4

Alex Burnett

« Reply #4 on: 27/01/2013 at 13:08 »
I like your Train of thought there Hamish  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 27/01/2013 at 14:58 »

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #6 on: 27/01/2013 at 20:32 »
Hi,

I live down in Northumberland and fished the Till for the last 20+ years so I will try and help if I can.I suggest to start with you give a guy called Brian Thompson a call (if you need his 'phone no. let me know and I will pm you).Brian is the Ford and Etal Estates river keeper and the estates control all the waters you mention.Redscar(Brian's cottage is on the beat) is so very different from some of the Tindal water.Brian,when I started fishing the Till on F & E's water provided me with maps of all the waters - hot spots etc.Brian is a great guy,most helpful and having keepered the waters for longer than I have fished them knows them like the proverbial back of his hand.
Good luck - hope you hit the water at the right height and let us know how you get on.

Brian.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com