Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Drive safe people, and buy winter tyres!
« Reply #45 on: 11/12/2012 at 10:14 »
4 cars in the same field last night, just on the outskirts of Banchory.

Amazingly, there were two to start, by the time we went passed an hour later, despite a revovery truck with its lights on being present, and a police car with the same, there were a further 2 cars!

I guess 2 banks of warning lights, spotlights in a field, a "Police Slow" sign both sides of the scene and people standing around in hi viz jackets are not enough warning to slow down for some folk!

Tam Greenock

« Reply #46 on: 12/12/2012 at 06:24 »
Well I bought a set of Pirelli winter tyres for my Cooper S two weeks ago and although we have only had that snow for a couple of days the difference from normal summer tyres was immense.
Even just getting out of my drive which is on a slight hill was a breeze compared to last year.
Only one problem 😄 I am now in Perth Australia for the next month and there ain't no snow.

Ploddy

« Reply #47 on: 12/12/2012 at 22:36 »

I guess 2 banks of warning lights, spotlights in a field, a "Police Slow" sign both sides of the scene and people standing around in hi viz jackets are not enough warning to slow down for some folk!

Rob, I think a large number of people have a general ignorance about how to drive in adverse conditions.  It doesn't even have to be snow and ice to cause problems.  Far too often there are collisions ( we don't call them accidents any more in the emergency services ) happen when the roads get a bit wet or foggy conditions prevail. 

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #48 on: 13/12/2012 at 14:30 »
Rob, I think a large number of people have a general ignorance about how to drive in adverse conditions.  It doesn't even have to be snow and ice to cause problems.  Far too often there are collisions ( we don't call them accidents any more in the emergency services ) happen when the roads get a bit wet or foggy conditions prevail. 

Should be renamed "attempted murders" in some cases, especially in the case of Dangerous Driving. Hang 'em I say :)

Alex Burnett

« Reply #49 on: 13/12/2012 at 19:16 »
Well that's the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's fitted & ready for whatever comes along.
Does not mean I still don't have to drive to the conditions but does give me that little
bit more of a comfort factor when the roads are not good.

Alex

Jim Eddie

« Reply #50 on: 13/12/2012 at 20:34 »
I think Alex and Ploddy have hit the nail squarley on the head, one some  people just do not take the road conditions into account. Two winter tyres  do not make you invincible they just improve the odds in your favour.

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #51 on: 14/12/2012 at 08:12 »
Worth watching...

Ploddy

« Reply #52 on: 14/12/2012 at 23:46 »
Very good Rob.  While watching the clip couldn't help but thinking what fun could be had driving a car around an ice rink especially if it had padded walls like that one.

Ploddy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #53 on: 19/11/2013 at 09:14 »
I guess it is that time of the year again :X1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #54 on: 19/11/2013 at 09:55 »
Sure is Mike, crashes at Hatton, Cruden Bay and Ellon this morning  :X1

Jim

Jim Eddie

« Reply #55 on: 19/11/2013 at 10:02 »
These tyres get good reviews, they are all season but have the Snowflake symbol as well as  M+S. I'm to lazy to change wheels evry 6 months and these seem like a decent compromise

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Vector-4Seasons.htm

Jim   

Matt Henderson

« Reply #56 on: 19/11/2013 at 11:38 »
I run all season/4 season tyres on the front all year round (not what the experts recommend, I've just never bothered to get for the Back wheels). They work really well. What most people don't realise is that summer tyres are rated down to seven degrees c.  So in Aberdeenshire you're out of spec for about six months of the year! Vredestein are my brand of choice. If you order from my tyres they'll deliver them to a garage of our choice and you can pay extra to get them fitted.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #57 on: 19/11/2013 at 13:24 »
I am still very happy with my Falken Eurowinters. Snow, rain, sleet and ice are no bother for them :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #58 on: 19/11/2013 at 13:42 »
Why is it that the ones you buy never fit your next car .........  :z4  :z4  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #59 on: 19/11/2013 at 15:12 »
Couple of Vredestein Snowtracs now ordered for the front of the Golf :z3

Last year's Snowtracs will go back on David's Astra as they were superb :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com