Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Drive safe people, and buy winter tyres!
« on: 03/12/2012 at 08:24 »
Well, thats the first proper snow of the winter and low and behold, the ditches are littered with yummy mummy 4x4's as usual!

If any of you have never tried winter tyres, seriously think about getting some. I have a set fitted to my Subaru and despite me living half way up a hill on an unclassified road that is never swept, and which was sheet ice over the weekend, and is now covered in 2-3 inches of snow, the car never slipped, slid, deviated or appearred flustered.

I think it should be law to tell the truth, even on cold, wet roads there is a huge difference in grip.

Hamish Young

Re: Drive safe people, and buy winter tyres!
« Reply #1 on: 03/12/2012 at 09:08 »
I'm not saying Rob is wrong, far from it in fact.
My winter tyres are now about to go on the Alfa as soon as it comes back to me from the garage.

But you do not have to fit winter tyres, in our part of the world it makes as much sense to fit all-season or four-season tyres which have the M+S (not Marks & Spencer, Mud & Snow :!) rating. Depending on the tyre, I've yet to have a M+S rated tyre that has been unable to cope with heavy snow and icy conditions.

Food for thought. Or just stay at home.

H :wink

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 03/12/2012 at 09:13 »
What they said.
I've had my winter tyres on for a while now and they work so much better in the cold than sticky summer rubber.
Aberdeen from the south was gridlock this morning. No snow on the road just losers. I ended up cutting over the Slug road and even in the snow I made it in before one of my colleagues who stayed on the A90. Of course, Aberdeenshire Council shut the Netherly road today for repairs, the same day the Cairn O'Mount road closed with snow  :mad

:z1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 03/12/2012 at 09:23 »
Talking about Aberdeenshire Council.  Few days recently, I have been on the way to work and the roads have been fairly lethal and not a gritter in site,  slippy junctions untreated ice etc.  However, it is good to see all the little pavement gritters out getting rid of any risk to pedestrians, I wonder if this is part of the councils plan to not run out of salt this year  ???

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 03/12/2012 at 11:08 »
But you do not have to fit winter tyres, in our part of the world it makes as much sense to fit all-season or four-season tyres which have the M+S (not Marks & Spencer, Mud & Snow :!) rating. Depending on the tyre, I've yet to have a M+S rated tyre that has been unable to cope with heavy snow and icy conditions.

I challenge you to a duel Sir!..lol.

M+S indeed means mud and snow..but the clue is in the name...they are may not be that good on ice or indeed slush/cold wet roads. Adding the wee Snowflake symbol on true winter tyres means higher silica content, and a more flexible rubber compound and more "sips", which all help greatly with grip on ice below 7 degrees.

For years I ran landrovers on BFG All Terrains which have a M+S marking, but those tyres were terrible on ice. I changed to Pirelli Scorpian winter tyres and the world became a happier place :)

Looking outside today, our car park is sheet ice, and on a slope...my car is the only one in it :) Everyone else have had to park on the road. I am smug, they are wet..lol

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 03/12/2012 at 11:10 »
Roads around me remained unsalted for the entire week. My road is still unsalted and unswept (nothing new there) but the main roads this morning had been ploughed, but not sure about salt.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 03/12/2012 at 11:35 »
I challenge you to a duel Sir!..lol.

In a non-4wd car :?  you know I would be tempted to have a go :wink if I could get away with it I'd borrow the wifes Skoda as it doesn't have traction control but does have Vredestein Quatrac 3 all weather tyres which are utterly awesome in all poor weather conditions.
My Alfa does have winter tyres and traction control and does go pretty much anywhere in the snow and ice. Impressive.
M+S indeed means mud and snow..but the clue is in the name...they are may not be that good on ice or indeed slush/cold wet roads. Adding the wee Snowflake symbol on true winter tyres means higher silica content, and a more flexible rubber compound and more "sips", which all help greatly with grip on ice below 7 degrees.
Indeed.
My observation is that you do not have to fit winter tyres, a tyre that is suitable for the conditions is the logical choice. So it is reasonable to conclude that an all weather tyre is an option that is worth considering.
For years I ran landrovers on BFG All Terrains which have a M+S marking, but those tyres were terrible on ice. I changed to Pirelli Scorpian winter tyres and the world became a happier place :)
Those Pirelli tyres are pretty good.
Roads around me remained unsalted for the entire week. My road is still unsalted and unswept (nothing new there) but the main roads this morning had been ploughed, but not sure about salt.
We have ploughed and salted roads up here - which is nice  :wink

H :z3

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2012 at 12:30 »
Aye Vredestein Quatrac 3's  fitted to the wifes car last time I was home.

I had these on my Pug and they were good also

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/fr/Nokian-Wr-G2-All-Season-Tires.htm

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 03/12/2012 at 12:39 »
I have Falken Eurowinters... rather good so far.

Cass has Dunlop Wintersport 4d's ordered for her totally impractical GT86...shame she did not order them 2 weeks ago when I told her too..lol

One thing I have noticed on the tyre review sites, some winter/all season tyres get fantastic reports in one particular size, but terrible reports in other sizes, so its worth researching well.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 03/12/2012 at 12:47 »
My observation is that you do not have to fit winter tyres, a tyre that is suitable for the conditions is the logical choice.

I guess that then depends on conditions :) You live in the balmy North where it is lovely and warm compared to us..lol.

As stated, I went for "Eurowinters", based on the fact its winter, and we are part of Europe :). They are a full winter tyre, but designed for a typical European winter, ie, slushy, wet, cold with a few weeks of snow.

I decided proper winter tyres such as those used in Canada (studable) are not required here :)

I guess a lot depends on the definition of winter...most of the normal winter tyres for the UK would be classed as All Season in Canada/Scandinavia.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #10 on: 03/12/2012 at 13:05 »
I went for "Eurowinters", based on the fact its winter, and we are part of Europe

:z4 :z4 :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 03/12/2012 at 15:39 »
I guess that then depends on conditions :) You live in the balmy North where it is lovely and warm compared to us..lol.

But do not forget that 'she who must be obeyed' is still working and living in Aberdeenshire for most of the working week...... and she has yet to have any difficulties with the all weather tyres. In fact she tells me that on Friday night in the snow on her way home she overtook a Range Rover on the Lecht in snowy roads because 'he was driving like a buffty' and 'I had much more grip'.
Most pleasing :wink

As stated, I went for "Eurowinters", based on the fact its winter, and we are part of Europe :)

Smirk  :z16

H :z3

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 03/12/2012 at 15:44 »
Rob,

I just bought a set of 'Handsome Superstars' for the exact same reason.  :X2

Seriously though, this is the first winter that I've bit the bullet and bought a set (4 off) (yes I know there are four wheels on a car but I just added that incase the motoring police thought I'd opted for only 2) (before you say there are only 3 on a Reliant Robert Euan, yes I know that too  :z7)
Get them fitted tomorrow  :z16.

Hopefully bring some peace of mind on our overcrowded, undermaintained, dick ridden roads. Get it sorted Alex (not you Catman).

OR I could just buy an Audi so that I can just disregard.................etc, etc.

Iain   :z12         is it not April yet?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 03/12/2012 at 15:56 »
Seriously though, this is the first winter that I've bit the bullet and bought a set (4 off)

Me too, and a set of steel wheels to go with them :z16 After an entertaining drive to work on sunday morning at 5-30 i decided it would be cheaper to buy a full set of winter tyres/wheels than risk twatting one of my alloys, or worse.
My new baby dealt with it all rather well, but she would have been much happier, with a bit more grip (less orange lights coming on as well :z4).
I went for Vredesteins as they get good reviews and were a decent price at "mytyres"
The Eagle F1's on the car are superb in the wet, but they were useless in the snow, which i found interesting :z3

It is the first time i've bought proper winter tyres, but it does seem to make sense and i believe the polished alloys don't really like the salty roads either :z6

Looking forward to finding out what sort of a difference they make.

Sandy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #14 on: 03/12/2012 at 17:32 »
My Alfa does have winter tyres and traction control and does go pretty much anywhere in the snow and ice.

When it's not in the Local Garage..... :X2

Alex

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com