Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jonathan Kerr

quick question
« on: 16/11/2012 at 08:32 »
Hi folks,

After 'learning' to cast a salmon rod this year, I've decided to focus and improve my single handed rod technique this winter.  I know there is some good advice on casting drills from ben etc on here already but i'm curious...should it be easy to aerialise the whole say gt90 before releasing line? (by easy i mean, is the line generally capable of this, or should it be released earlier when casting for max distance...ie...shoot earlier?)

I used the slx all year this year but also have the gt90 which i bought last year (both 6wt). I'm also lucky enough to have a 30 odd metre games hall next to my office in school so although big casts in it are out of the question, it may be handy for looking at loops, accuracy etc. I may even get some of the kids involved if any of them are keen!

cheers,
J

Ben Dixon

Re: quick question
« Reply #1 on: 16/11/2012 at 12:24 »
It is possible to aerialise (carry) the whole GT90 before making a shoot but it is far from easy!  Everything has to be absolutely perfect in terms of stroke length, arc, tracking and haul timing.  Also the rod needs to be up to it, very unlikely that you will break the rod, but, if the rod you are using is quite soft then you will need a very long stroke to keep it moving.  When I am on form I can carry a whole GT90, but my best distances come from carrying about 83' (hauling hand to tip of fly line, excluding leader).
If you are playing about with that then do yourself a favour and stick something other than dacron backing behind it, dacron tangles badly.
The new GT125 goes further in terms of total distance for me, with that line best distances come from carrying about 85' and delivering from that.  It is possible to carry more but for me, the shoot is not as clean so counter productive.

The SLX is not designed as a distance line, a cast of over 100' with that line is a very good shot but casts of 25 yards from feet to flies are very easy.  You are relying on a lot of shoot with the SLX as it cannot be carried well due to short rear taper. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers]

Ben

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #2 on: 16/11/2012 at 12:44 »
Thanks Ben,

Thats exactly what I was looking for.  Having never been to or seen distance casting live I was curious as to how much line you carry before shooting.  I figured the SLX wasn't the best line to use for distance, so i'll play with the GT90 for now and see how that goes.  The rod is a tcx 9'6 6wt, so certainly not soft!

I'll tell you what would be great would be some locally produced videos of casting drills although i fully understand for you instructors that would conflict directly with your lessons etc! I'm a big fan of visual learning, back to you tube i think...!

cheers,
J

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 16/11/2012 at 14:40 »
I'll tell you what would be great would be some locally produced videos of casting drills although i fully understand for you instructors that would conflict directly with your lessons etc! I'm a big fan of visual learning, back to you tube i think...!

I produce and write e-learning courses as a living, and I have often thought about creating instructional courses on fly casting etc using Subject Matter Experts and Instructors.

Interesting........

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 16/11/2012 at 20:49 »
You'll have to search through Jonathan but there is some single handed distance stuff on my YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/BenMDFly?feature=mhee

Best it is probably the slo mo stuff from Sexyloops gathering 2011.  I've got nothing fresh that I'd care to post but, if weather is O.K tomorrow I may try to get a fresh clip.

Cheers

Ben

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #5 on: 17/11/2012 at 08:25 »
Cheers Ben, heaps of good slo mos there i can look through  :z16
J

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com