Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Winter Fly Fishing
« on: 10/11/2012 at 16:22 »
OK, the Winter is here and the fishing seasons have closed ......... :z6

So what is everybody up to now, rainbows, pike, grayling, saltwater? The weather was quite reasonable today and I was thinking that there must be a few of you out waving a wand, or do you just stop fishing in the Winter? :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

Re: Winter Fly Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2012 at 16:51 »
Back home for 10 days, so chasing Rainbows today and the Ladies next Saturday..... Then I'll go grayling fishing  :wink

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2012 at 17:15 »
How did you get on with the rainbows today Jim?

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2012 at 17:52 »
I pretty much stop fishing until next season. Today I've spent the day building a bird table for the garden. I'll maybe pop some pictures on once I'm finished.

Matt

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 10/11/2012 at 18:06 »
I have just bought 2 rods and reels and new lines and had a casting lesson with Ben so I will have to go out soon for a test drive and go for the rainbows but normally I would wait till next season.

Eddie.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 10/11/2012 at 18:23 »
I pretty much stop fishing until next season. Today I've spent the day building a bird table for the garden. I'll maybe pop some pictures on once I'm finished.

Matt

Hmm - Is the bird table for the good of the birds, or for drawing in some photography subjects? :z4
Cool, yes, post some photos Matt :z16

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 10/11/2012 at 18:24 »
I have just bought 2 rods and reels and new lines and had a casting lesson with Ben so I will have to go out soon for a test drive and go for the rainbows but normally I would wait till next season.

Eddie.

Test driving new toys ..... got to be fun! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #7 on: 10/11/2012 at 18:34 »
Hmm - Is the bird table for the good of the birds, or for drawing in some photography subjects? :z4
Cool, yes, post some photos Matt :z16

Cheers
Mike

Bit of both really.  There isn't much to look at out of the kitchen window so a bird table and some feathered visitors will brighten things up. Will see if I can get some photos too.

Sieger Devries

« Reply #8 on: 10/11/2012 at 19:06 »
For me there are 365 seasonal days in a year... Try to be at the water as many times I can (at least 1 day every week...)... The seasons change and so are the kind of fish I hunt for...

Fall an winter are typically for Pike but also for Rudd and Roach ... these fish are hiding in our river-harbours and give a nice day fishing...

Next year I will "dedicate" my spring and summer season to Aspius.... want to try to catch me one of the trophy fish (around 80-90 cm...).. at least one of the fellow forum guys here will do the same...  :wink

Salmon, Trout.... only when I'm able to go for a weekend-trip  (Germany) or holidays.... Would like to come to Scotland for a week next year... Have a lot of dark-nights to find out possibilities....  :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 10/11/2012 at 19:35 »
How did you get on with the rainbows today Jim?

Cheers
Mike
It was hard going, but the weather was not bad so it was nice to be out. I had a few fish, met Goo, and had a blether so all in all a good day.

Jim

Allan Liddle

« Reply #10 on: 10/11/2012 at 20:32 »
Occasional grayling and a few chucks at the bows, although there's a wee course water near here i need to give a look at with the fly rod.  Maybe a bit of pike chasin and some sea stuff if i can cadge a lift oot on someone i know's boat.

To be fair the broonie season was so good for so long last season i'm happy for the rest.

Headin into hospital soon so i'll be out of action for a while anyway.

Allan L

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 10/11/2012 at 22:30 »

Headin into hospital soon so i'll be out of action for a while anyway.

Allan L

You finally going for that strapadicktome? :z7

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 10/11/2012 at 22:34 »
You finally going for that strapadicktome? :z7
No I think only women can get that affliction Noel  :z13

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 11/11/2012 at 08:37 »
Back home for 10 days, so chasing Rainbows today and the Ladies next Saturday..... Then I'll go grayling fishing  :wink

Jim

I am home tomorrow Jim if you fancy a day somewhere  :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 11/11/2012 at 13:21 »
what's winter ?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com