Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Tripod
« on: 29/10/2012 at 20:50 »
Any of the budding photographers on here got a tripod?  I've seen quiite a few photos now that a tripod will make all the difference.

Any recommendations welcome.  I'd have a dSLR on it and then the current lense of 18-55mm, but would like to go longer eventually (55-300mm or 18-200mm)

cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

Re: Tripod
« Reply #1 on: 29/10/2012 at 21:58 »
Hi Matt,
I'm surprised to hear that you don't have a tripod.

I bought a Manfrotto 055 XPROB after doing some searching on the net (and before I'd actually bought my camera  :shock). It's a very robust, sturdy, well made bit of kit although to be honest if I'd actually known that the micro 4/3rds camera was going to be so light I'd have possibly gone for the next size down. That said, I'm a great believer in buying the best that you can afford and if I ever upgrade to full frame with their larger, heavier lenses then it's always there.
I'd guess that it is not the lightest tripod out there but certainly not heavy in my opinion. (it is not the model with carbon fibre legs).

I coupled this with the 496RC2 ball head which is pretty neat although my limited experience doesn't give me anything to match it against. I like the fact that the camera is attached to the tripod, or should I say ball head, instantly via a quick latch attachment - the 'male' section of which is permanently screwed onto the camera base.

I wouldn't contemplate taking the camera out without the tripod - macro, tele or landscape would all benefit from the steadyness and adjustability provided. Sunrise or sunset (or any long exposure shot) would surely be impossible without it, unless you happened upon a flat post or rock which just so happened to be at the right height for your composition. Also if you want to take any shot in portrait orientation the ball head OR adjustable centre column will allow the camera to be instantly rotated for the shot.

One last thing, not on tripods............... I bought a wireless remote for firing the shutter and it's a hit, when taking a shed load of shots, even on a 2 second timer, the time wasted seems large.

photography is expensive but addictive.  :X1

I can let you see the stuff anytime you like.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 30/10/2012 at 10:15 »
Hi Iain,

I've got a tiny wee one for desktop stuff that is fine for flies and still life type stuff. For landscapes I've not tried any HDR photos or panoramas and found a convenient rock etc for long shutter times. But seen some really cool ideas that require a longer opening time or four idebtical snaps to merge into one.

The one you suggest sounds good. I looked at cheaper ones but a quick search of the reviews suggest they'll all fall over with the slightest gust! Problem now is do I get a tripod or save a bit longer and get a new lense!

Matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 30/10/2012 at 11:53 »
What do you think of the HDR stuff?
Initially I was intrigued as to how it was generated and have seen some really cool results but I think if it is overcooked then the pictures look...... junk-ish?

Have you a specific program? I was looking at the Nik effects plug in for Lightroom.

If I understand correctly 'typical' HDR effect pictures are created by using the available RAW data from the same picture/scene taken with several different exposures, but I saw a guy create a slight HDR EFFECT picture from a single shot using some program or other ( I will have to ask him what it was) it was quite impressive - not quite real but then again not too Dickensian fairytale.

Tripod or lens? Daddy or chips? don't know Matt, you already have a workable lens but no tripod so I know which I'd buy.

looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 30/10/2012 at 12:11 »
As our cameraman at work says, "the heavier the better". Weight equals stability, and when out in the mountains and its blowing a gale, the lightweight aluminium tripods are a liability, especially with £1000's worth of 600mm lens atatched.

Having said all that, I ignored his advice and have a lightweight aluminium one!!! I just hang the camera bag or rucksack from the middle of the tripod for extra weight.

I also went for a Micro 4/3rds system too, purely on size and weight so the camera and lens does not over balance the tripod.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #5 on: 30/10/2012 at 20:20 »
I've got a magazine at the moment with some really cool HDR stuff in it. Also saw some from a friends wedding that were amazing. I'd like to give it a try.  But at the moment keen to try lots of things and then decide what I really like.

Forecast is quite good for Thursday/Friday night so will try and gt out and take some pictures.

Cheers

Matt

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 30/10/2012 at 20:23 »
On the software front I'm in two minds as to whether or not to buy photoshop for HDR and panoramas as the wife gets the educational discount (she's a teacher before somebody suggests i'm aberdeenshire's answer to Jimmy Saville) but seen some really good reviews for a plugin for Lightroom called enfuse for creating HDR.

Matt

Matt Henderson

« Reply #7 on: 30/10/2012 at 22:01 »
Iain,

How does the head attach to the tripod?  I think I've found one that looks ideal but now need to decide on a head.

http://www.indurogear.com/products_details_AT214.html

What about this for a head?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/manfrotto/460mg-magnesium-head-22710/show.html

Only thing I'm not sure about on the head is that it doesn't have a level on it.  But then I can always make things ship shape in lightroom!

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 30/10/2012 at 22:01 »
Photoshop all the way.

Get the Photomatix Pro tonal plug in for Photoshop and you have the best of both worlds, quick and goodlooking HDR images from a plug-in but with far more adjustability thanks to the power of Photoshop :)

Personnally, I prefer Lomo style photography as I think it brings out tonal ranges better and gives the image a "quality" that cannot be matched, almost a story, but it is indeed very similar.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 30/10/2012 at 23:39 »

Matt,
       the ball head screws onto the tripod via the usual thread mount but then there are a couple of machine screws which screw up through the tripod flange and into the ball head base so that these sections are held ridgid allowing the actual head assembly to be rotated 360 deg by the internal swivel which can be locked solid or controlled by a friction adjuster.

A good insight into the manfrotto tripod, the ball head is also featured. The head that you linked is possibly magic but I know nowt about it, you'll have to do more research and check if it is compatible with the tripod (thread size and if it need to have the ability to accept locking machine screws?)

As for the level, my take on it is that it's lovely to look at but what's the point in having an infinitely adjustable head at the business end and then poncing about trying to get the tripod in line with sea level?  I set my viewfinder up with the grid visible so that the horizon or line of interest is set in an instant, simple, or have I missed something?

Rob,
I've opted for the Nik HDR Efex pro 2, I've heard and read good things about it plus the workflow appears to be easy for the layman, maybe? possibly?
Lomo style? I'll have to look that up?

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 31/10/2012 at 10:17 »
Lomo style? I'll have to look that up?

Its just a style that basically "fakes" 1950's style, over processed film photography...but it has an interesting quality about it.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 31/10/2012 at 10:17 »
I got myself a tripod a while back ........ but I haven't used it yet :oops

Will hopefully get some time to give it a try soon :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 31/10/2012 at 13:53 »
I've got Lightroom Rob. I'm quite keen to avoid having another whole program but will wait and see.

The most amazing thing about it is that the wife A) thinks it's a good idea and B) encouraged me to spend more money!

Matt

Matt Henderson

« Reply #13 on: 01/11/2012 at 21:38 »
Clear skies tonight, sadly the wife had the car so went into the Duthie park to get a few pictures.  These were the best of a the bunch

I got this first one totally by accident when I was setting up and trying to see if the trees were actually in focus. 

I need to work on manually focussing the camera to infinity for these I think and avoid shooting into the moon!

Off to read some more tips!

Matt

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 01/11/2012 at 22:21 »

As for the level, my take on it is that it's lovely to look at but what's the point in having an infinitely adjustable head at the business end and then poncing about trying to get the tripod in line with sea level?  I set my viewfinder up with the grid visible so that the horizon or line of interest is set in an instant, simple, or have I missed something?
hi Iain,
that feature is for panning with video or for multi-shot panoramic images.

cheers,
marc

btw, apart from how much i'd enjoy slapping the guy on the video...  the tripod and ball head seem to be as good as one could expect for an easy to use all-rounder. good stuff  :z13

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com