Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Snap T/ Circle Spey cast
« on: 16/10/2012 at 20:26 »
Right you're fishing left bank with a double hander so right hand up. Assuming the bank is 12 o'clock and you're facing 2 o'clock for your cast. When you make the first part of the cast where should your rod tip end up relative to the bank? 12 o'clock, 11 o'clock or 10 o'clock?

Assume it's a shooting head rather than a full Spey line.

Cheers Matt

Ben Dixon

Re: Snap T/ Circle Spey cast
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2012 at 21:18 »
Hi Matt,

Are you taking about fly on the dangle here and asking about where the tip at the point where you start to think lifting the tip to make a circle or snap to reposition the line upstream or, where the tip should be returned to once you've made the snap or circle and you have repositioned the line?

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 16/10/2012 at 21:23 »
The second one Ben. Essentially where the rod tip should be when the fly has been repositioned and you sweep the rod in towards your own bank.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2012 at 22:06 »
Sort of depends upon space behind me and the angle change I am making Matt.  I like to have the line laid out at a right angle to the intended target a rod length in away from me if possible after I have made the snap / circle.  Using your references, it would ideally be at about 10 o'clock but this would depend upon the amount of space I had, whether I was fishing from the bank or wading and the length of the head.

What prompted the question?

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 17/10/2012 at 07:43 »
Just had a few casts where with a sinking head, sink tip and copper tube Where on the forward cast the head goes but the tube doesn't and a funny u shaped cast goes out. I sorted it by making a bigger circle pushing the line further out from the bank and then sweeping the rod further in towards my own bank. Just wondered if what I was doing was right or not.

Cheers Matt

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 17/10/2012 at 09:37 »
Hi Matt,

With heavier gear, it is vital that the end of the line ends up in the right place.  Make a higher lift slightly in bank before you make your circle.  What you have done wit increasing circle size is right, from the higher & slightly in bank position you will be able to make the circle and clear the line without having to move the tip upstream at all before you make the circle.  With a circle cast or snap T, the point of the snap and or apex of the circle has a lot to do with how far up or down stream the end of the line will land. 

Sounds to me as if you were being left with a bloody L due to the line being positioned too far upstream. 

Imagine a scribing a U turned on its side for your circle, so it has a top leg and a bottom leg with the bend of the U pointing upstream.  If you lengthen the top leg and shorten the bottom leg as you make your circle you will get a lot of line upstream and you will not be able to turn it into your D and straighten the leader. 

Does that make sense?

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 17/10/2012 at 13:53 »
Thanks Ben. Will have a play next time I'm out. Fingers crossed for a few dry days before the weekend!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com