Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: LTH Video
« Reply #15 on: 05/10/2012 at 13:21 »
Cheers Rob n Iain,

I guess I'll have to justify the Helios 104 - the idea was it was to be a one size (nearly) fits all kind of arrangement, and it seems it is. Would be interested if Paul Procter uses his for leader to hand (Richard ?).The Streamflex Plus #3 has a lot of 'high brow' fans so defo one to take seriously methinks. But it is a much softer action than a Helios ! Guess I'll have to cast big wide loops (my speciality anyway !) with the Helios if using more than one flee.

Can't wait to give this a go - currently doon in Fife and season finishes the morn, but I don't have any gear with me due to having to leave Aberdeen so suddenly. Could have had a fine day on the Leven, my boyhood river (gets all misty eyed).

Off to order some jig hooks and slotted beads !

Cheers again guys,

Linz

Loxiafan

« Reply #16 on: 05/10/2012 at 22:36 »
Ref the fish size - I can see that on the 'wrong' day the method could account for a shed load of small fish which is definitely not the goal but what can you do?

Hi Iain,

I think the point the author was making re- small fish was that with a stiff rod (ooer) you will drop/bounce more fish esp. the wee ones that just go mental. A softer rod will presumably count for less dropped fish....and why Streamflex's are popular with comp anglers as an 8"" fish counts ? !

I must admit with the TF Access I have hardly dropped or bounced a fish of any size (for me), nor with my 9' Streamflex, but with the 104-4 Helios I have dropped a few. However, I am starting to think it is something to do with using a 10' rod rather than a TF - I have no idea why  :z8 I did drop a lot on the 10' Streamflex and it was mid to progressive action.

Linz

Allan Liddle

« Reply #17 on: 06/10/2012 at 19:28 »
Hi guys, love the vid Iain, must give the French style more attention next season, it certainly opens up a lot more water.  Upper Deveron in bright blazing sun and crystal skinny water really sold the method to me, even more amazing was the fact that you could see every bit of gravel but fish seemed to simply 'materialise'.

I use tapered carp leaders with a tiny seamless ring (watch fish aren't targetting this, seen it happen) then mono of choice from there.

Streamflex is brilliant for this, i use the #5 Plus almost exclusively, brilliant.  Have hardly lost a fish since switching to this rod, just have to accept there will be times when you're compromised a bit on windy days.  Good as it is, for Frenchin' then the 10' #4 (or #3 in your case) is better though but improved even more when you add the Plus extension piece to the equation.  I know it wasn't designed for this rod, but works brilliantly. (If you think this is good, try it in the tube or boat in a good wave, makes it a 10' 6" light yet responsive top or water rod.  Opposite to this?  Crap when you want to pull big things deep and can take a while to land yer troots, you certainly don't bully them that's for sure)

Allan L

Loxiafan

« Reply #18 on: 07/10/2012 at 21:50 »
I use tapered carp leaders with a tiny seamless ring (watch fish aren't targetting this, seen it happen) 

:shock fms, really ? !
Good as it is, for Frenchin' then the 10' #4 (or #3 in your case) is better though but improved even more when you add the Plus extension piece to the equation. 

Mmmm, I wonder how can I go about getting hold of the #4 extension piece......!

....lookin' like a 3wt Streamflex Plus for me I think.

L

Loxiafan

« Reply #19 on: 17/01/2013 at 23:28 »

....lookin' like a 3wt Streamflex Plus for me I think.

Well, that is the first episode of RAS (Rod Aquisition Syndrome) for 2013 .....have ordered the Streamflex XF2 Plus in a #3  :shock

Roll on opening day, phuk dries it is two weighted MB nymphs for me all the way  :z16

L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #20 on: 18/01/2013 at 19:28 »
Nice one pimpernel  :z16
Looking forward to hearing the results.                      Dont diss the driez tho' bro'

Infact, If I were in some way involved in the River Don policy making I'd ban all fly-line less methods...........and;

wading
down stream casts
wet flies
hopper droppers
jeans
anyone that looks Irish
talking
streamers tied on hooks larger than a 14
ducks
kneeling

Oh yes, the future's bright, vote for me

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #21 on: 18/01/2013 at 19:45 »
Aye, dries (and, ahem, 'emergers') will still be my preferred method, but those images of sporadic Clyde risers (ala the Don last season)on the Fish On video keeping coming to the fore - the nymphs just outfished the dry.

You'd get my vote on every condition.....'cept ducks, obviously......and, no Salmon angling to take place when trout fishing is underway !

L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #22 on: 18/01/2013 at 20:14 »
 :z4 :z4

I love ducks too Lindsay..........a l'orange, oh and they keep my dries afloat  :z7

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #23 on: 18/01/2013 at 20:16 »
I love ducks too Lindsay..........a l'orange, oh and they keep my dries afloat  :z7

:z4  :z4 Nice one ! Really, you find CDC keeps your flies afloat ?  :wink I need to use lotsa "Newts 'gina" to ensure that !

L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com