Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

TV show looking for NE fly fisher
« on: 03/09/2012 at 08:20 »
folks,

re-posting this email received from ITV, looking for a fly-fisher to take part in a new production. Sounds like a cross between fishing adventurer and Come Dine with me...

+++

Sent: 29 August 2012 13:18
Subject: NEW TV SHOW

Hi there,

My name is Greg Northfield, i'm working on a new show for National Geographic International. We're looking for a fly fisherman to take part in one of the episodes. Here's a bit more information about the show;

Competitive fishing – some say the best sport in the world.  But with so many fishermen and so many fishing disciplines how can we find out who is best of the best?

In this hour long format we pitch three different fishermen, from three different countries against each other to discover who is the KING of the FISHERS.
So how will a Hawaiian Kite fisherman fare against a Norwegian Cod fisherman?  And how will they both get on against a  Zimbabwean Tiger Fish Chaser.
But this competition isn't just about who catches the most and who catches the biggest.  It's also about who hosts the ultimate fishing trip.  Each competitor will be proficient in a very different fishing discipline: fly fishing, spear fishing, noodling for instance - and they'll be tasked with laying on the perfect experience. However, one man’s ‘noodling’ might not be anybody else’s cup of tea.  Each host will have to work hard to convince the others that their type of fishing is the best. Marks for hosting will be combined with marks for the catch to give each rod-man a total score for the competition - and ultimately one will be crowned our King Fisher.A true ‘King Fisher’ will be a great leader, a bon-vivant, charismatic as well as being a winner with the rod.  He will be able to put together the best fishing trip with the most exciting lodgings and post-fishing evening entertainment. At its heart, this will be a documentary following three men on a journey. It will capture the banter, sense of competition and bonding that you associate with a group of guys on a fishing trip of their lives.

So as you can see, we're not just looking for someone who can fish, we want someone who is a great character who can showcase the best that the area has to offer. There are 10 episodes, each episode has three different locations. Scotland has been recommended as a location for one of the episodes, in particular fly fishing for Salmon in the River Deveron.

The show is in the very early stages of production so i dont have specific dates as we are working out all the locations at the minute, but filming will take place somehwere between mid - late October. We are looking for just one angler from the area who can participate in this who will then be taken to the two other locations in the world to fish, wherever this may be. Filming will be over three days for each location. The first day will be taken up with filming interviews and finding out a bit more about our chosen fisherman, then we have one full day of fishing and then more interviews and filming on day three, now if there is nothing caught or the weather is bad on the fishing day then we can potentially go out on the third day, but that still doesnt leave us much time. This is why we need to ensure that there will be the opportunity to catch in the short period of time we have. We are looking for local fishermen who are big characters - it is up to them to organise the full day of activity for the other two fishermen - so its not just about the fishing its about post fishing as well, food/drink/locations that will showcase the best of the area to the other two anglers in an attempt to win the most points and be crowned 'King Fisher'.

If you know of anyone who would be ideal for the show, i would love to hear your suggestions.

Kind Regards

Greg

Greg Northfield | AP | ITV Studios | ITV plc
9th Floor, The London Television Centre, Upper Ground  |  London  |  SE1 9LT  |  Tel: 020 7157 3765  |  Intl: 020 7157 3765 | Greg.Northfield@ITV.com

Rob Brownfield

Re: TV show looking for NE fly fisher
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2012 at 12:48 »
Ahhh..if we can remove the Swear and Miserable git genes from Ben, then he might be the perfect person!!

Topcat

« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2012 at 10:52 »
just been approached by these guys

we tried (and failed ) to get an extension to the fishing season -We are on Upper Findhorn-

but they wanted to film in the Lodge- with the fishing taking place on the Alness

Not altogether happy about having film crews in the house- although we did offer them the cottage for the camera crew etc

see:
www.strathnoon.co.uk
Time is tight now but I would be grateful of any info others may have on this proposition out of interest!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 11/10/2012 at 18:26 »
Hi Tim
Welcome to the forum :z16

I don't know anything more about the TV show thing I'm afraid.

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com