Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Folks,

The BFCC comes north of the border but once a year and this years event takes place on Sunday the 9th of September.
Worth a visit.
Details of the event can be found on the BFCC website calendar:

http://www.thebfcc.co.uk/events

I'm going and I hope to see others from the forum there too :cool:

:z3

Iain Cameron

interesting. I will be in glasgow that weekend for a wedding, and over on the southside to see my sister & bro on the sunday, so i'll see about sticking my head in to the event at some point

Rob Brownfield

Interesting that they felt they had to hold the event within the confines of a Police club house ;) Is the area really that dangerous? ;)

Hamish Young

It is North of Hadrians Wall Rob, so naturally it's dangerous :wink :z4

Good location as it goes, for casting on grass it's all good  :cool:

Hamish Young

interesting. I will be in glasgow that weekend for a wedding, and over on the southside to see my sister & bro on the sunday, so i'll see about sticking my head in to the event at some point

Cool  :cool:

H :z3

Mike Barrio

Not long now Hamish ..... See you there :z16

We won't be able to compete in the same league this year Hamish, that's a pity, serves you right for casting such a long line last year! :z4

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

Hope we get weather like this tomorrow! :z16

Anybody else coming down to Glasgow?

Best wishes
Mike

Noel Kelly

I hope ye do but I hope I don't where I'm gonna be fishing!

Mike Barrio

Great fun on Sunday :z16

Good to meet up with friends for a most enjoyable day. I learnt quite a lot and tried casting some heavier gear ...... ouch!
Conditions were not great for extreme distance, but we all had loads of fun trying :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Kevin Muir

What a great day out.

The weather could have been better, more settled breeze and a little less humid but the casting was fun, yes even the T 120.

When I woke up this morning I ached in places I never knew anyone could.  That crazy double hander is just mad but so much fun at the same time.

I need to get fitter for this kind of casting, the on shoulder wind for the T120 was NOT good, I think I will take my cycling lid for next year, much safer.

Enjoyed the day out in great company and am looking forward to getting out with my shooting heads on #9 and #10 rods much more over the winter.

Kev.

Iain Cameron

I popped by to see the action. Those heavy lines & rods looked pretty brutal! Just hearing the lines rip through the air made me flinch... 

Inspired me to get out and do some casting practice today (much needed!!!) on the footy pitch nearby. let's just say 80' is still toooo far for me.... i think I edged about 72-73 feet ish tops. To the amusement of the local dog walkers and youths.

Ben Dixon

Yup, top day out as it always is. I have some video to upload, will get it done over next week

When I woke up this morning I ached in places I never knew anyone could. 

the on shoulder wind for the T120 was NOT good, I think I will take my cycling lid for next year, much safer.
Kev.

:lol :z4 :z4

Ben

Hamish Young

It was indeed a 'grand day out' but seemed a smidgen quieter than last year.
Maybe that's just my perception though  :z8

The wind was hardly doing anyone any favours in the morning, Tamas in particular got a bum deal in the #5wt.
Come the afternoon and things were a wee bit better.

Have to say this was the first time I've seriously cast the T38 (last year I picked it up for the first time at the tape) and I think it's a hoot, but not as much as the T120 which (again) I'd not cast before until I was on the tape waiting for the stopwatch to start.
I suggested at the time that the T120 is a wee bit like a blood sport for competition casting..... brutal fun is the best I can come up with. Although I'd probably prefer to be chucking gear people are more likely to actually use (say a 15' rod for example) that T120 is proper 'man shit'. Even Kev gave it a go, but I was a wee bit concerned he was going to head after the rod on the delivery stroke.....  :z7  or lose a limb  :shock
Well done to Peter on getting a B100 trophy and winning the #7wt event outright :z16

The Glasgow meet saw the introduction of the 27gram Sea Trout distance event at a BFCC gathering courtesy of our Ben doing the lobbying. Well done Ben. That brings one of the ICSF ( :?) events into the BFCC list and who knows it could replace other outfits in the future.
Interesting that 27g event, concious of the fact that I could and should have chucked that a lot further than I did. Hey ho, there's always next time and I have 'something in mind' for that event as it should be right up my street.

The trip home wasn't much fun  :z10 Made the mistake of taking a trip down memory lane and going via Loch Lomond and up the 'west' route home to Beauly. Still, we learn from our mistakes  :wink

Ben Dixon

Some video here.  Not much eating done during production so a little rough around the edges.

Sorry Kev!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/D3a3pfHQ9PM?version=3&hl=en_US

Ben

Iain Cameron

Inspired me to get out and do some casting practice today (much needed!!!) on the footy pitch nearby...

still practicing for increased distance when I get a chance... nice wee footy pitch nearby. I hit 83-84 feet last night with an SLX 5wt and 5wt rod. No world record, and a long way behind some of you chaps, but a new PB and 10 feet + on my previous best efforts. Next target for me has to be 90 feet. Really within touching distance now.

I've got my SLX marked at 30' with pen - I use that to pace out and mark distance along the lines of the footy pitch, so I can be fairly accurate with my guesses.

Same guy is out throwing balls for his dog everytime I'm there - he must think i'm barking mad

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com