Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

JRLA

Hello

New to forum, learnt about it from flyforum uk.  Good to have a 'local' fly fishing site :z16

Just moved back to Aberdeen after 5 years away and hope to join ADAA next season.

Mainly done river trout and SWFF.  I am looking to try some Salmon tube fly fishing next season on ADAA waters outside of fishing for brownies.

Question:

What do those in the know think about getting by for a season using a 9ft 8wt or 9ft 10wt Scott S4S with floating coldwater saltwater lines?

Will be used with Salmon polyleaders and Needle Tubes of different sizes and Loop double hooks around size 12.

I am going for a few days on the Ericht at the end of August so I will probably learn by first hand experience for that river but I guess the Dee and Don are very different propositions

Cheers

Iain Cameron

Re: Single Handed SWFF Rod for ADAA Salmon Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 20/08/2012 at 08:14 »
One consideration is that you won't always have room behind for overhead casting on stretches of ADAA waters, so whichever combo you go for probably needs to let you perform spey casts. But no comment on the kit you mentioned, no experience of the suitability of the line.

cheers
iain

ps - apply now for ADAA membership. You'll be invited to join for next season; there's no waiting list for membership currently, and applicants will be eligible to join in Feb 2013)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2012 at 09:36 »
I have a similer outfits myself that I also use of Pike/SWFF. The #8 would be the most suitable rod I think.

As Ian says, most of the beats are best suited to Spey casting due to high banks/vegitation. I use an Airflo Cold Saltwater line for off the rocks/beach/estuary but it would not be much use on the river.

Might be worth getting one of Mikes SLX lines as this will give you the ability to single hand Spey with the rod and also lift the tubes you talk of.

I have settled on a 12' 6" double hander for light Salmon as it is MUCH less work than with my 9 footer, and a 14 footer for when the river is high.

Hope that helps a little.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 20/08/2012 at 10:48 »
Rob has it right (for once  :z7), I'd recommend exactly the same thing.  SLX #8 and learn to single hand Spey, I usually use a single hander when fishing above Alford anyway, rarely is there a need for a two hander up there.  ADAA beat, I usually fish with a 15 or 13' rod depending upon height & time of year.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 20/08/2012 at 12:00 »
Ericht is smaller than the Dee and Don, more Deveron size. I fish the Blairgowrie angling Beats once a season for a week. There is some nice fly water. Youwould definately be able to cover the river with those rods, however the banks are mostly tree lined or high steep banks in a couple of places, so single handed Spey would be the way to go.
 :z18

Jim   

JRLA

« Reply #5 on: 20/08/2012 at 23:36 »
Thanks for quick reply and quality advice.

I have already applied for membership at ADAA so hopefully that will be approved soon  :z14

I had 4 salmon on the HPB stretch of the Ericht 9 years ago, unfortunately on flying C's when I was less enlightened, so would be happy with a single fish on the fly! I remember it being fishable by fly.  Suspect these saltwater lines will not be easy to handle in freshwater though.  Will order an SLX #8 for time being then.

I have not had the pleasure of doing any reconnaisance on the ADAA waters yet, therefore good to know that rod length is dictated by bank cover. 

So it looks like I need to buy myself some proper Salmon fly tackle and possibly an hour or two casting instruction.........

The question is what would the ideal single Rod, Reel and Line setup to be used on the Don and Dee?  Prefer to buy quality tackle that will last and also not need to replaced as my Spey casting skills improve. Maximum budget of £1000. 

Tend to use a Lamson Velocity II Hard Alox 3.0 reel for saltwater - any good for the larger spey rods?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 21/08/2012 at 00:02 »
14'er with a set of shooting heads would be about best compromise really but depends upon how much you intend doing early season when the water is big & cold.  I still like my 15 for that.
Plenty of good stuff about, I use MacKenzie rods & lines for most of my DH salmon fishing.  DTX 14' shooting head rod is pretty sweet and would be ideal.

With the reel, just make sure it is heavy enough (when empty) to make the rod sit tip up when you have your hand at the top of the cork, it becomes hard work if you have to hold the tip up whilst fishing the fly round.

Cheers

Ben

JRLA

« Reply #7 on: 21/08/2012 at 04:49 »
Thanks Ben.  Will fish year round, mainly outside of may/june/july river dry fly trout fishing. 

Will look at serious tackle when I return from Ericht.  Suspect the Lamson is too lite to counterbalance a large rod. 

Well I have bought the SLX line as suggested and been looking at single handed spey casting instructions on Ally Gowans website.

Forgive my ignorance, but the single handed spey looks the same as the roll cast I have been using in overgrown streams to catch tiddlers for donkeys years.......surely not? Perhaps with less of an 'anchor'..??

Any recommendations on casting instruction for the more advanced skills?

Cheers
James

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 21/08/2012 at 06:20 »
Thanks Ben.  Will fish year round, mainly outside of may/june/july river dry fly trout fishing.  

Will look at serious tackle when I return from Ericht.  Suspect the Lamson is too lite to counterbalance a large rod.  

Well I have bought the SLX line as suggested and been looking at single handed spey casting instructions on Ally Gowans website.

Forgive my ignorance, but the single handed spey looks the same as the roll cast I have been using in overgrown streams to catch tiddlers for donkeys years.......surely not? Perhaps with less of an 'anchor'..??

Any recommendations on casting instruction for the more advanced skills?

Cheers
James

James

There is a local guy called Ben who is a allegedly a very good instructor  :wink

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 21/08/2012 at 07:20 »

A Spey cast is pretty much a roll cast with a change of direction but generally a little more dynamic.  You'll need a cast for either bank in both upstream & down stream winds, look at the double Spey & circle cast / snap t.

Cheers

Ben

JRLA

« Reply #10 on: 22/08/2012 at 00:07 »
How much do you charge for instruction Ben?
Should help with tackle selection as well. :z15

Cheers
James

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 22/08/2012 at 06:47 »
How much do you charge for instruction Ben?
Should help with tackle selection as well. :z15

Cheers
James

James

You are best to contact Ben direct

http://fishingthefly.co.uk/ben-dixon.html

Jim

JRLA

« Reply #12 on: 11/09/2012 at 21:09 »
Well just to update....I had an excellent lesson with Ben.  I think the problem lies with the caster not the rod!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com