Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Shooting on the back cast...
« on: 19/06/2012 at 11:48 »
This was something I was shown years ago when using a DT line.

I was mucking about with an SLX and found that it was extremely easy to shoot a lot of line on the back cast, allowing extremely easy long "one or two false cast" casts to be performed.

With an initial lift and flase cast to get some head working, then a second false cast with a rear shoot to put the head some 3-5 meters outside the tip, followed by a shoot, the line does not collapse but does go like stink...despite not being designed for this.

Anyone else shoot on the back cast?

It also works extremely well with the GT lines.

Mike Barrio

Re: Shooting on the back cast...
« Reply #1 on: 19/06/2012 at 14:07 »
Yes, I like to shoot line in to the back cast Rob :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2012 at 14:12 »
me three

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 19/06/2012 at 14:17 »
I think I probably do it because my back casts tend to have a better loop shape?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 19/06/2012 at 14:33 »
At last...I am normal!!..lol

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2012 at 19:52 »
me four !
but then again it all depends on the line used and the cast's purpose.

comp-style distance: no. exact carry length primes and shooting on the BC can make it haphazard.
fishing distance: yes
saltwater-style quick cast : most definitely
a distance change for say, to quickly get to a farther rise than where i'm currently fishing: yes

shooting the BC into a strong wind can be a no-no...  :X2

either way, shooting on the BC usually takes more practice to get it right compared to on the FC.

"I think I probably do it because my back casts tend to have a better loop shape?"
good point Mike. what's for sure is if they look better you're definitely doing it right !  :z16  :z13

cheers,
marc

Dutchfly

« Reply #6 on: 26/06/2012 at 19:51 »
Five!
I learned shooting on the backcast from Sepp Fuchs. I find if you master it, tailing loops are a thing of the past. Well, in theory anyway :X2

Jeroen

Bernd Ziesche

« Reply #7 on: 28/06/2012 at 12:36 »
good point Mike. what's for sure is if they look better you're definitely doing it right !  :z16  :z13

Hi Marc,
I don't agree.
If the bc loops look better, it means Mike is doing it "wrong" on the fc!  :cool:
Identical loops are most sexy ones in my opinion.

I lengthen my line on both fc and bc. This simply means less false casting and will always force to focus on both bc and fc.
Greets
Bernd

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 02/07/2012 at 14:42 »

I don't agree.
If the bc loops look better, it means Mike is doing it "wrong" on the fc!  :cool:

i don't agree with you not agreeing !!!  :z4

because maybe the fc loops where just fine and the bc needed some 'bettering' ?...   :z7

cheers,
marc

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com