Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

folks

The Aberdeen & District Angling Assoc. is hosting an Orvis Open Day at

The Bothy, Riverside Drive, Aberdeen
Sunday 10th June, 10am onwards
http://goo.gl/maps/JeRl

Ben Dixon will be demo-ing kit & casting, alongside 3 times world spey casting champion Scott Mackenzie.
Free event (small charge for the bacon rolls of course!)

http://www.facebook.com/events/363408247056521/
Members & non-members alike are invited  to the annual Orvis Open day with Scott McKenzie and Ben Dixon.
Come down enjoy the casting and fly tying demonstrations, and pick up some free lessons and advice, or just share some fishing chat with ADAA folks. Refreshments will be available.

Mike Barrio

Re: Casting Demos & Open Day :: Sun 10 Jun, ADAA Bothy 10am
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/2012 at 10:43 »
Great stuff Iain ...... Thanks for posting! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2012 at 11:12 »
Thanks Iain,

There will be tying demos in the bothy, Scott will be doing some double handed demos, Paul Procter will be there for the day doing demos and answering any questions and I have a few demos put together myself mainly from recurring questions from lessons or on the forum here.  Orvis Endorsed Guides Peter McCallum & Kevin Muir will be tying (probably holiday flies) in the bothy.

There will be the full range of MacKenzie rods / lines available to try and a good selection of Orvis toys too.  Days like this are a great oppurtunity to try out rod & line combinations so feel free to bring along your own rods to try with different lines & vice versa.

Hope to see you all there.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Cameron

« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2012 at 12:03 »
hi Ben

thanks for the additional info - didn't know so many names would be there. that's quite an event

cheers
iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 09/06/2012 at 09:29 »
Would have come through for this but my folks are visiting this weekend  :shock so I'm grounded  :roll

Besides, with Rock Ness and the Olympic Torch Relay and a few other events all happening around Inverness (that's what I call forward planning) this weekend I'd be better off hiring a helicopter to get there - and my pockets aren't deep enough for that  :roll

Next time.

H :z3

Matt Henderson

« Reply #5 on: 09/06/2012 at 11:19 »
I would have liked to have been there too but stuck in Miami and about to go and catch Tuna, sadly not on the fly. Work sucks!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 09/06/2012 at 11:22 »
Forecast looking O.K, fairly still with occasional drizzle  :cool:

Open to all.

Cheers

Ben

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 09/06/2012 at 14:45 »
Tied uo with work in morning the kids football afternoon otherwise i'd have come through.  Maybe next time

Allan L

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 09/06/2012 at 15:13 »
I would have liked to have been there too but stuck in Miami and about to go and catch Tuna, sadly not on the fly. Work sucks!

Bitch eh   :z4 :z4 :z12

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 09/06/2012 at 17:50 »
Sounds like a great event :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 11/06/2012 at 07:49 »
will hunt out a few photos as soon as possible, but many thanks to Scott, Ben, Davie and all the others who gave their time to this event. Scott Mackenzie came across as just a very modest, approachable, genuine person - quite something to see him belt out a line too, and fun to watch him, Ben and others chucking it out with a 16' d/h.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 11/06/2012 at 08:17 »
Twas an enjoyable few hours followed by an enjoyable few ours on the Locha at Parkhill watching everyone else catch, especially Ian! grrrr.

Wish I had got my hands on a MacKenzie rod and shooting head..but her ho...maybe next time.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #12 on: 14/06/2012 at 08:51 »
folks

I've posted Michal Ostrowski's photos from the Open Day on the ADAA's Facebook pages at

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.315917078494070.74640.291103120975466&type=3

Decent crowd turned up, and lots of thanks to Scott Mackenzie & all the Orvis folks  (Ben, Peter, Davie, Kevin) for giving their time.

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 14/06/2012 at 11:46 »
 :z16 :z16

Some intertesting images there....love the panaramic one with the heavy treatment.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com