Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

josh

The Deveron
« on: 07/06/2012 at 21:51 »
HI i have been fishing the don lately and been using the forum alot to find usefull info like where to fish best times type of flies etc etc which i think is exellent. I usually fish the deveron quite alot as am from up the banff way. I have noticed there is nothing like this for the deveron and think it would be very usefull for other fishers and is interesting to see how the fishing is and talk to other people who fish there! there might be a reason as why there aint one but just thought i would ask and see.

many thanks, josh

Iain Goolager

Re: THE DEVERON
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/2012 at 22:55 »
Simples Josh, start a Deveron thread. I for one would be keen to see what's happening elsewhere.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 07/06/2012 at 23:09 »
Looks like you have just started one josh. I have never fished the devron. Must get around to doing that.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2012 at 08:31 »
Many many years ago I used to fish the Turriff Association water. I had some nice trout from there whilst everyone else seemed to think Trout were not worth catching. Seemed to be Salmon or nothing for most of the members.

Some nice water to play around on.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 08/06/2012 at 09:59 »
I've fished the Turrif water quite often , it's got some nice fly water and is reasonably priced (£30 a day) I have seen some nice Brownies taken, but only by Salmon fishers.

:z18

Jim 

Phil

Re: The Deveron
« Reply #5 on: 08/06/2012 at 12:29 »
I fished the Castel Beat at Huntly last Saturday! Met a guy on the Don 2 weeks ago, how told me that the Deveron must be  heaven for dry fly fishing. So I decided to give it a go...  :z15

The Caste Beat is quite short, half a mile, but a beautiful piece of water, lots of big stones in the river with many pools and good looking places... caught 10 tinny brownies, most on nymphs as there was a freezing cold wind and the water was also very cold...

Might try it again, if the weather is a bit warmer. Day ticket is 25 pounds... Very relaxed and beautiful stretch of water, lightly fished,as Rob mentioned most people seem to fish for salmon only, so there must be some big brown trouts somewhere  :z4

Phil

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 08/06/2012 at 13:27 »
Outstanding trout water and amongst the best in Scotland if not beyond.
Fishing very well at present with BWO's in full flow and a few LD's still kicking about.  Sedges starting to appear evenings.

several fish to 2lb 10oz last Wed all on dries upper lower river area (near Turriff), all fish returned (some after a few pics  :wink) as they are too valuable to be caught only once.
Sadly there are some (mostly Salmon lovers) who 'chap' the better fish which is a real crime, but hopefully once the true value of these fish are more widely known and popularity rises this will reduce.  Two fish (four and half and five plus) killed recently, real trophy trout that really need to be in the water
Fishes well to wets and nymphs as well, however excells as a dry venue.

Best this season 4lb 10oz with several in the 3 plus bracket, loads in the notable fish 2 plus bracket and a good number pound fish to keep the boredom at bay.  Smaller trout plentiful especially when 'on'.

Contact Frank at Turriff Tackle and Trophies for access details, fishing news and permit costs.

Like all water please keep your trophy locations QT it won't take much to spoil things.

josh

« Reply #7 on: 08/06/2012 at 15:37 »
thanks for all the replies,im not too sure how to open a new thread? or if one of the moderators could do this would be great! yeah i am going up there tonight to fish the mouth in banff just for a mess about really. And tommorrow im going up to marnoch hopefully. Yeah i used to only fish for salmon myself butt am starting to love thr broonie fishing  :wink

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 14/06/2012 at 14:02 »
Had a wee jaunt out Monday night but very little surface activity and fish not keen to come blind.

Fished French style and nailed a cracker about 2lb with another slightly bigger next cast.  Few wee ones followed before another hitting pound mark.

Couple started showing around 11.45 and sat on a nice fish which i hooked and broke (hate that but barbless hook so will most certainly simply fall out) estimated about 2 1/4 lb (hard to say but def a nice troot)
No seatroots but saw a Rod Bender show once which i suspect may have been a salmon or coloured seatroot (ok broonie then) but no hatch so suspect migratory and not resident

josh

« Reply #9 on: 16/06/2012 at 18:15 »
Was out last saturday at marnoch. wasnt much rising actuallly bairley seen any fish (brownies). And went up without my fly rod as forgot it so i wasnt happy only realised when i got there done some worming though but nevcer hooked up to anything seen some cracking salmon though round the 14 pund mark will be headin up again next weeek.

is there any beats that do day tickets that anyone could advise? thanks

Allan Liddle

« Reply #10 on: 18/06/2012 at 22:04 »
Fished opposite bank to Marnoch on Sat and managed a few crackin troot up to 2lbs and a belting 6 1/2lb Grilse on 3lb nylon #5 9 1/2 ft rod and size 14 spiders, then lost another one couple casts later.

Not many browns rising but found a few around 4pm in slower water and rattled off about half a dozen.

Water level very low and plenty places easy to reach.

I thought Deveron's fly only in low water, Frank at Turriff Tckle can confirm?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 18/06/2012 at 22:06 »
Nice article in this month's Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Magazine :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #12 on: 19/06/2012 at 15:04 »
Thanks Mike glad you like it.
Been toying with the idea of helping promote the fantastic brown trout fishing the river has to offer for some time, especially the need to practice C&R and the economic value the humble brown carries.

Hopefully making a little progress on this front as without doubt, some of Scotland's finest river trout fishing is on our doorstep.  Fantastic to be blessed with one river, let alone two (well three actually but more of the third one later  :wink)

Regards

Allan

josh

« Reply #13 on: 20/06/2012 at 18:17 »
No there is a beat that bremners in foggie sell tickets for which lets you worm.
but after a day of being bored as hell i think am going to stick to the fly fishing.
finding it hard to get on the deveron as much as i did last year as have no car at the moment.
did have a day on the don last week though and got some bigger fish for a change one at arround 1 3/4 lb so i was very happy with that but need to get on the deveron more

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com