Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

Glen Tanar
« on: 30/05/2012 at 11:53 »
Hi All,

was wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to fish for trout in glen tanar I already know the Loch but wouldnt mind exploring the river, are day tickets issued ??

Adam.

Mike Barrio

Re: Glen Tanar
« Reply #1 on: 30/05/2012 at 12:04 »
Hi Adam

You'll find a link to their website and contact details on the Glen Tanar page of Fishing The Fly :wink

http://fishingthefly.co.uk/glen-tanar-estate.html

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 30/05/2012 at 12:47 »
Give Fiona a bell, but I think the only trout fishing is on the loch itself. Tanar Water is very overgrown and probably impossible to fly fish.

They do offer salmon fishing on the Dee on 4 beats, but I hope you are rich ;)

adambrain

« Reply #3 on: 30/05/2012 at 13:52 »
Hi Adam

You'll find a link to their website and contact details on the Glen Tanar page of Fishing The Fly :wink

http://fishingthefly.co.uk/glen-tanar-estate.html

Best wishes
Mike

Mike, I'm a plonker. I've read this a few times :X1.

cheers.

Rob

Of course im loaded thats the only way im able to fish. But I'll stick to the loch I think.

Adam

James Turner

« Reply #4 on: 30/05/2012 at 18:13 »
if you go far enough up the tanar in april the bigger trout are still up there after spawning
bt I'm talking way up to sheil of glentanar

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 31/05/2012 at 12:33 »
No fishing on the River Tanar above 'Brooks Tower' AFAIK, possibly the Laird can. The upper Tanar, Allachy and Gairney are all within the NNR and again there is no fishing as I understand.

Lindsay

adambrain

« Reply #6 on: 31/05/2012 at 22:47 »
Thanks for the input folks, booked a boat on the loch.

Thanks again.
Adam

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 01/06/2012 at 09:20 »
Thanks for the input folks, booked a boat on the loch.
Adam

hi adam,

A mate & I  fished the loch recently. well, we sat in the boat and talked for a few hours, fishing was incidental.

BUt they've been stocking with brownies, and they were ready enough to come to a static dry. Lovely wee place. terrible boats though - take a cushion or you're sat so low your knees cramp up!

tight lines
i

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 01/06/2012 at 10:51 »
you're sat so low your knees cramp up!

Says the person who is so tall he could wade the San Antonio Trench ;)

But Iain is right, a cushion is required, and if you have your own lifejacket, take that too.

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 01/06/2012 at 12:23 »
Says the person who is so tall he could wade the San Antonio Trench
I think you mean the San Marianas trench dude. The San Antonio trench is the latrine out the back of the Alamo and I wouldn't want Iain to stand in that.

Indeed take your own lifejacket and sit on theirs!
Pictures and a full report Adam please. I have the need to re-visit Glen Tanar but I'd like to get a good report first.

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 01/06/2012 at 12:50 »
I think you mean the San Marianas trench dude. The San Antonio trench is the latrine out the back of the Alamo and I wouldn't want Iain to stand in that.

Lol..indeed..sorry..I have San Antonio on the brain as Cass is off there in a few weeks for work. D'oh!

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #11 on: 01/06/2012 at 16:30 »
I was there last wednesday for the 1st time this year.  The Loch was in really good condition with crystal clear, whiskey coloured water as usual and not much weed (yet!).  The Loch had been stocked the day before according to the catch return book and, for the 1st time (according to the Estate Manager), included some 1 and a quarter pound Brownies in addition to the usual Rainbows.

Weather was baking hot and clear blue skies and flat calm when I arrived.  I had a brownie on a static dry Big Daddy and a Rainbow to a Static dry olive emerger.  The fly life was prolific and there was a huge hatch of midges and olives for a lot of the day.  They went off the dries pretty early when the breeze picked up a little and I eventually found the Rainbows hiding in the deep corner of the loch next to the gate at the end of the road/track.  I had 12 Rainbows (up to 3-4lbs) all on an goldhead, olive, blue flash damsel.

The boats are the same as last year (crap).  There is a Listed Building notice on the Boat House door giving notice of improvements to the Roof!

Have a couple of photos of One of the newly stocked Brownies and a rainbow but tinypic doesn;t seem to be working...

Ewan

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 01/06/2012 at 16:40 »
I think you mean the San Marianas trench dude. The San Antonio trench is the latrine out the back of the Alamo

:z4 :z4 :z4 pmsl

I have San Antonio on the brain as Cass is off there in a few weeks for work

so is she a navvy or a plumber?

Ewan, looking forward to seeing the pic's.

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #13 on: 01/06/2012 at 20:31 »
I have San Antonio on the brain as Cass is off there in a few weeks for work. D'oh!

Rob,

Tell her she has to go to the riverwalk to soak up the atmosphere and eat. She also HAS to go to "Howl at the moon" and "Coyote Ugly". Just tell her to do both  :z16

The Mexican market is also a must as is the Alamo (miss out the latrine). Across from the Alamo is a fantastic ice cream shop...

The malls are ace. The Buckhorn Museum is good but there are a lot of "shot things" in there, so maybe not everybodies taste. San Antonio is where I would like to live in the US of A if I didn't fish, but did ride, shoot and just want to have fun.

Great city!

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 02/06/2012 at 23:17 »
Nahhh..she spends more time in the US than she does here! Its great!!..lol

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com