Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Minimising angle change with a double hander
« on: 29/05/2012 at 21:21 »
All,

For some reason I find it really easy to cast with a large change in angle when perfoming casts with my right hand up.  So much so that I find myself repeatedly casting squarer than I would like.  It's worst with a circle/snap T compared to a single spey.  When I do try and cast at a shallower angle typically the loop crosses the line, mostly because I've set up the anchor too far round.  How do I stop myself over-rotating so that I fish my flies a bit slower?  In addition a bit less rotation would help my cratered back.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Matt

Marc Fauvet

Re: Minimising angle change with a double hander
« Reply #1 on: 29/05/2012 at 22:38 »
hi Matt,
my first thoughts are about stance.
i'm guessing that for a right hand on top, casting off the right shoulder, your right foot is behind the left ?
if so, try 'closing' your stance a bit by bringing your right foot forward a little. this hinders rotation and might help. (in the same way that we 'open' our stance to ease rotation)
i hope so !

cheers,
marc

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 30/05/2012 at 09:43 »
What Marc said would be my first suggestion but I'm struggling to visualise what you mean.  If You set up a cast for say a 90 COD and only hit 45, then I couldn't see you getting a cross over.  A cross over usually comes when you have set up for a 45 COD and tried to present to a greater angle.

With your stance, face your target (assuming here RHU on left bank) with right foot forward then turn your right foot ever so slightly downstream, that will further limit rotation.  Also make sure that you are not breaking your arms away from too early, make the turn with your body and arms more or less fixed to your torso only breaking away when almost opposite the target and ready to set the D.  When setting the D think about drawing back directly opposite the intended target.

I'm going to do a small demo on this on June 10th at the Orvis / MacKenzie day at the bothy.

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 30/05/2012 at 20:53 »
Thanks Guys.

Marc - you were correct about the right hand shoulder etc. will try closing my stance a little.

Ben - not sure I described it very well. It appears that as the loop the leader and fly goes downstream of the main line and then lands upstream of the rest of the line? Will try again and see if I can work it out again. Sadly won't be there on 10th will be abroad for work :(

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 30/05/2012 at 21:28 »
It appears that as the loop the leader and fly goes downstream of the main line and then lands upstream of the rest of the line?

hi Matt,
if i understand that correctly it would mean that there's a tracking issue. instead of doing the forward  cast in a straight line, the rod tip is swinging out a bit like this   )
there could be a number of different causes but try changing stance first as it's the easiest. if that's the cause, then end of story ! :grin

cheers,
marc

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com