Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Sexyloops Scottish Gathering 2012
« Reply #30 on: 10/05/2012 at 13:06 »
I hear that the hotel was at one stage, beseiged by angry old ladies demanding to see the strippers.

They thought it was an adult dance troup called the Sexyloons that was staying for the weekend!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 10/05/2012 at 14:56 »
A few more pics ...............

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #32 on: 10/05/2012 at 16:57 »
why is Hamish punching the guy in blue ?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #33 on: 10/05/2012 at 18:31 »
why is Hamish punching the guy in blue ?

The guy in blue is Kevin Marc, he'll have done something to deserve it.  Troublemaker that one  :z4

Noel Kelly

« Reply #34 on: 10/05/2012 at 18:47 »
To me it looks more like Hamish thinks its his turn with that rod. Kevin doesn't seem to agree. Could also be that they are dancing awwww ya definetly dancing.

Good one for a caption competition.

Kevin Muir

« Reply #35 on: 10/05/2012 at 18:54 »
Hi Marc

Hamish was not happy because I did not want to give him his saltwater outfit back after mangaing to fluke a decent cast with it. (my longest ever).

It was a great weekend, great company and lots of great tips for distance and presentation casts.  I liked the teaching tips explained during the demonstrations, especially the tip for roll casting, it makes it lots of fun to practise.

I have disliked (hated) Hamish's saltwater beast of a rod for as long as I can remember, now I need something similar to play with.  Hamish, you and Ben have converted me to the evil of weilding heavy gear.   Never thought I would have said that before, DT 10, 11 & 12 being ordered to cut up and play with.  

Time to play with this sort of gear in preparation for the trip to Assynt chasing Pollock.

Next year the shoot outs should be capped at a Maximum of #3 lines, that way I may get a better overall final position :wink  I seem to be better with lighter gear.  I need to spend quite a few hours playing with the heavy stuff before next years event and also work on my technique.  If only I had actually replicated what Paul said to do rather than seeing the red mist of the lanes and smacking it.

Looking forward to next year

Kev.

Hamish Young

« Reply #36 on: 10/05/2012 at 19:04 »
Hamish was not happy because I did not want to give him his saltwater outfit back after mangaing to fluke a decent cast with it. (my longest ever).

Now that's one version.... another is you asked for a dance and I foolishly said yes. Two left feet there Kev :z7 :X5

I have disliked (hated) Hamish's saltwater beast of a rod for as long as I can remember, now I need something similar to play with.  Hamish, you and Ben have converted me to the evil of weilding heavy gear.   Never thought I would have said that before, DT 10, 11 & 12 being ordered to cut up and play with.  

Excellent......  :X4

Next year the shoot outs should be capped at a Maximum of #3 lines....  

Errrrrr let me think about that for a second...... NO  :lol

H :z3

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #37 on: 10/05/2012 at 20:16 »
Next year the shoot outs should be capped at a Maximum of #3 lines,

in that case we'll have to be sure that Fredrik comes back... !  :z3

good on the both of you. it's always refreshing to see two guys dance  :X4

Kevin, a little mind-frame tip i like to pass on to students: a rod is a rod no matter what wt rating. some are heavier and some are lighter but we use them exactly the same way.
happy pollacking !  :grin

marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #38 on: 11/05/2012 at 08:35 »
DT 10, 11 & 12 being ordered to cut up and play with.  

Time to play with this sort of gear in preparation for the trip to Assynt chasing Pollock.

I don't even use gear like that for the Pike :) 8 and 9 weights with an outbaound are perfect for the Pollock.

Hamish Young

« Reply #39 on: 11/05/2012 at 09:09 »
I don't even use gear like that for the Pike :) 8 and 9 weights with an outbaound are perfect for the Pollock.

Perhaps so, but shooting heads are very addictive....... making them up is a balancing act and the satisfaction of chucking one a very long way is really rather rewarding  :z13
Just because a shooting head has been made from (say) a floating DT #12 that doesn't mean it'll be going on a #12 wt rod.........

........ after managing to fluke a decent cast with it. (my longest ever).

That cast was 41 metres or around 135 feet or 45 yards depending on your church, which makes shooting heads fun :cool:
Michael Bombay Bad Boy himself managed a similar distance with the same outfit and I believe is now similarly hooked..... undeniably, it's all about to happen  :wink

:z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #40 on: 11/05/2012 at 10:27 »
Just because a shooting head has been made from (say) a floating DT #12 that doesn't mean it'll be going on a #12 wt rod.........
Indeed...I was given a WF 12 line by someone, to which I took a knife and created a very short shooting head that I use on the rocks. It allows me to cast in very tight situations :) Its horrible to cast but I don't need a big back cast to load the rod.

I also have a "3 weight" shooting head I mucked about with on the 3 weight XP I bought off of Sandy. Its rather fun! I use 12 pound Fireline as the running line..extremely fine. The line I cut up was a 5 weight Aircel DT.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com