Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Fishing in KL Malaysia
« on: 09/03/2012 at 13:58 »
Guys,

Just wondering if anybody has ever fished in/around Kuala lumpur?

If all goes to plan I will be relocating there in the next few months and obviously my first question was "how's the fishing?" my preference would obv be fly fishing but any fishing is better than no fishing in my book.

If anybody has any past experience they would be willing to share it would be highly appreciated!

Cheers,

Steven

Rob Brownfield

Re: Fishing in KL Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/2012 at 14:55 »
I lived there, and in Brunei.

Fishing...hmmmmm..what do you fancy?

Most of the fishing is for predatory fish, and strangely enough, not many of them are Asian! You can catch Arawana, Toman, Snakeheads, Peacock Bass, Red Mahseer, Hampala Barbs and so on. The locals, if not using an old "Milo" can with line wrapped around it and a chunk of fish as bait, are very American orintated, using baitcasting gear and soft plastics or lures.

There are several "fishing ponds" in KL itself, along with rivers and "sungais". These are unasuming drainage ditches that hold Gouramis, Siamese Fighters, Climbing Perch and many other types of "tropical fish tank" species. Its rather funny catching Gouramis in what amounts to a sewer when back in the UK they are kept in pristine tanks.

There are even commercial fisheries available for huge carp!

You will be pleased to know there are 5 or 6 good tackle shops there too.

You are also only 20-30 miles from the sea. (Malacca Straits) Here you can fill your boots with all sorts of fish. When I lived out there Pirates were an issue...not sure if they still are? You can target Wahoo, GT, Cobia, Barracuda, Marlin, Amberjacks and lots of sharks.

Sandy can advise on the fly gear to take as it is similer fishing to Brunei, but a 6 and a 9 weight salt water set up would do for most fish I think. Remember to use tropical fly lines as the heat can be extreme, especially inland in some of the large rain forest lagoons where there is no wind.

All I can say is you lucky lucky sod!

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 09/03/2012 at 17:30 »
Rob,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! All going well I should be over there in the next few months!

I'm back home for some "real" fishing on the Dee at Invery for three days next week :-) here's hoping their successful run stretches as far as that!

I have a selection of pike/carp rods in the 2 1/2 - 3lb test curve range and god only knows how many bait casting and spinning rods which I suppose should cover most of the freshwater stuff. I have 9, 10 and 12# salt water rods so the only things I suppose I need to invest in will be the tropical lines and finding time to tie suitable flies!

Cheers,

Steven.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2012 at 19:19 »
Hi Steven

Didn't get across to KL to fish but i understand from some of my Ozzie mates that Kuala Rompin is the  real deal if you want something AWESOME :shock

Otherwise i'd be taking a 9wt and plenty candies and clousers, along with a tropical II, take some large bushy lures (pink thing, etc) that can push some water as well, if you go brackish you might find some Barramundi (selunsong) and the Snakeheads (Toman) are great fun on the fly, but you need to make a noise in the water.

Otherwise have a great time and i wish i was coming with you, malaysia was great, although i have a personal preference for Singapore and all the peacock bass stocked into their resevoirs :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 09/03/2012 at 21:01 »
Steven,
You are sorted then!!

If you have lure rods already all you need is some top water lures, things like Woodchoppers, Storm Chugbugs, Crazy Crawlers etc.

The takes are awesome, really heart in the mouth stuff.

For something a little different, use "Pike" tactics but with singles rather than trebles for things like "channel" cats. Watch out for the pectoral and dorsal serated spines!! They go to about 8-10 pounds but fight hard. You find these in pretty much any brackish water.

Also "pike" fish off piers/rocks and the likes for snapper, barracuda and things i don't know the name of! Again, great fun and you can catch frech BBQ food.

Actually, do what you want, where you want, you will catch! :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com