Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #105 on: 01/04/2012 at 09:03 »
Well here we go ladies the start of the brownie season at last.  Best of luck to all. Hopefully all that are out today get some sport :z16
Noel.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #106 on: 01/04/2012 at 16:52 »
Superb 1st day of the new season. Fished lower Parkhill with Iain and Noel  :z16. Used the Klink and Dink all day, using one of Iain's deadly pheasant tails. Hooked into 3 Sea Trout, lost 2 netted 1 of about 1.5 lbs all took the PT, then I  hooked into a decent Brownie of 1.5 lbs lost that too, ended up netting 3 small ones in the end made my day  :z14.

Cheers for the great company guys.

Liam

Iain Goolager

« Reply #107 on: 01/04/2012 at 17:36 »
I've had better starts to the season but I've also had much worse.
The wind wasn't pleasant at times but it was great to be back out again. Lost a Sea-Trout and a Brown of about 1 1/4lb but did manage 2 smaller Browns to the nymph and spider so at least the rod got bent.
Fair amount of Olives and a small amout of MB's but not a whole load of fish rising although there were a few now and again

Glad to see the rain too so all's well etc.

Liam, I've a bone to pick with you!

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #108 on: 01/04/2012 at 19:41 »
Superb 1st day of the new season. Fished lower Parkhill with Iain and Noel  :z16. Used the Klink and Dink all day, using one of Iain's deadly pheasant tails. Hooked into 3 Sea Trout, lost 2 netted 1 of about 1.5 lbs all took the PT, then I  hooked into a decent Brownie of 1.5 lbs lost that too, ended up netting 3 small ones in the end made my day  :z14.

Cheers for the great company guys.

Liam

You did really well Liam fair play. For the record I blanked :oops

Liam Stephen

« Reply #109 on: 01/04/2012 at 19:53 »
Dont beat yerself Noel  :z7 :z7

Plenty more opportunities. Think it was perhaps begginers luck??  :z12

Liam

Iain Cameron

« Reply #110 on: 01/04/2012 at 20:29 »
With mr Rob B, I was also foolish enough to brave the howling wind, and foolish enough to fish the unsheltered stretches. Duh!
Caught up with Iain Goolager/Young Gun/Noel, so at least some chat was enjoyed.

In a more sheltered spot, took a wee 1/2lb brownie (target acquired), netted a sea trout of around 1.5lb (though it doesn't really count as it had hooked itself in the back - think it took then broke off and spat out my dropper but got caught on the point), and had a hook straightened out by a twice-leaping seat trout, 2-3lbs. exciting at least.

Bloody hooks - it was either a TMC 103 or a Partridge SLD.... echoing another post on the forum. i tied the same spider pattern on each hook, to see if I could tell the difference... then failed to note which hook was which... duh!

and it rained. ah well, the horses are on the track!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #111 on: 01/04/2012 at 20:41 »
Dont beat yerself Noel  :z7 :z7

Plenty more opportunities. Think it was perhaps begginers luck??  :z12

Liam

Beating myself :shock think you got the wrong site Liam!

danbruce

« Reply #112 on: 01/04/2012 at 20:50 »
Well done to everyone who managed out today, sadly i couldn't make it out.
Good to hear that some sport was had. And i never thought i would say it but i am glad we have finally had some rain.

Liam, as this is my first proper season of fishing could you tell me how you were fishing the klink n dink?
Up stream, down stream ect?

Hopefully make it out this week for a few evenings fishing.

Cheers,

Dan

Liam Stephen

« Reply #113 on: 01/04/2012 at 21:08 »

Beating myself :shock think you got the wrong site Liam!

Oh god  :z4 :z4 another typo- beat yerself up. Is what it should have said  :X1

Liam Stephen

« Reply #114 on: 01/04/2012 at 21:14 »
Hi Dan

I was using a size 12 SR Klink and size 14 PTN. When prospecting I was casting up stream/ up and across into the riffles. Or when covering rises I would cast more across stream. Hope this helps, there are some great vids by jonfish in YouTube  :z16

Liam

Mike Barrio

« Reply #115 on: 01/04/2012 at 21:16 »
Oh god  :z4 :z4 another typo- beat yerself up. Is what it should have said  :X1

Back to skool :X1

danbruce

« Reply #116 on: 01/04/2012 at 21:19 »
Cheers Liam :z16,

Thanks for the tips, seemed to work for you so will hopefully have some fun trying it out this week.

Dan

Liam Stephen

« Reply #117 on: 02/04/2012 at 09:49 »
Right fellas I'm away to brave these balmy temps and try land a big broon. I'll report back later :z16

Wish me luck.

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #118 on: 02/04/2012 at 12:06 »
Well I had a crap openning day!..lol.

I ended up being "netsman" for Iain on a bonnie Sea Trout. That man has golden spheres just now!!

Despite getting smashed by a fish, getting rained on and blown inside out and having to watch Iain catch fish, the day was not wasted at all.

I learnt a lot about a section of river I last fished 15 years ago, and I saw a few fish in bits I would not have normally fished, so it was a great education.

I have also learnt that to catch, I need to bin my Zero Gravity and buy something even more expensive! :)

Phil

« Reply #119 on: 02/04/2012 at 12:23 »
Hey guys, good to hear that so many fish have been caught yesterday, despite the wind and drop in temperature  :z16

I decided to start the trout season on the Urie, below the Recycling plant in Inverurie. Never been there before, but the stretch looks quite nice. I caught a tiny trout on a midge dry fly and lost another one on a wooly bugger. No real hatch was going on, except of the midges...

Unfortunately lots of rubbish in the water and on the bank, I have never seen so many plastic bottles in the river...  :z19 also several blackwater pipes coming in below the recycling factory. Really dirty and smelly stuff... I think they have real issues there, probably on windy days most of the plastic bags and bottles get blown away and into the river....  ??? That shouldn't be the purpose of a "Recycling Factory"...

Looking forward to go to the Don this weekend! 

Tight lines to all!

Phil

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com