Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website.

Fishing The Fly In Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Fishing The Fly Forum « Home « The River Don « River Don 2012
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: River Don 2012  (Read 79125 times)
Loxiafan
« Reply #330 on: May 04, 2012, 17:48:34 PM »

The dangers of the Internet! Bet ye don't know where he saw the big trout feeding the other day though? I do and this is Adaa water lots of laughs

No, but if it is the same town he goes to school in I can hazard a guess as to the beat from the ADAA clue !  wink It's is a curse being this 'observant'............

Got my own big T to get. Couldn't get him last year due to high water and the season timing out. If he doesn't come back to this feeding lie I can bet another big boy will !

L
Jazzaman1234
Forum Member

« Reply #331 on: May 04, 2012, 18:40:00 PM »

Hi

What likes the Inverurie water like?Any good spots?

jazza
An Chuileog
Forum Member

« Reply #332 on: May 04, 2012, 19:25:48 PM »

No, but if it is the same town he goes to school in I can hazard a guess as to the beat from the ADAA clue !  wink It's is a curse being this 'observant'............

Got my own big T to get. Couldn't get him last year due to high water and the season timing out. If he doesn't come back to this feeding lie I can bet another big boy will !

L

Lol Lindsay I'm sure you are very observant and a budding detective but on this occasion you may be a bit out. A few miles even.... lots of laughs
As for that big boy, got get em thumbs up
Wish we were out on the river rather than talking about it!
Ah well nice bottle of red and the BBQ blazing away nicely isn't a bad substitute this evening I guess. It's Baltic outside.  cheers
Rob
Forum Member

« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2012, 23:27:24 PM »

I ended up spending a few with the switch rod. hours down at Grandholme with the switch rod. The rod makes fishing some of the more wooded/high banks so much easier and i managed to get a few casts in spots that are normally only fished with a spinner.

And I caught nothing! I saw nothing. I heard nothing. There was a very cold northerly wind and the river was still running high.

Was nice to be out though and the casting was just "working" for a change and I managed a few nice underhand casts.

Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....
Loxiafan
« Reply #334 on: May 06, 2012, 00:03:03 AM »

I checked Parkhill after I finished work, arriving the back of two. Possibly too late - lots of crippled LDO's and a few Olive Uprights in the back eddies. Never saw a rise and didn't make a cast even though there were trickles of Olives and a few sporadic MB's (or LBD's). Hail shower while I was there and a strong NW downstream wind which would have made casting a nightmare anyway. The weather conditions today would have made for a poor day in March never mind May !

Water about 20cm above Summer Low but running Gin clear where I was, in fact possibly too clear - we're never happy are we  lots of laughs

Lindsay
An Chuileog
Forum Member

« Reply #335 on: May 06, 2012, 18:06:25 PM »

Upper parkhill today from about 2. Parked at the bridge and headed upriver. Met Goolager who had been out a few hrs and was just about to give up not having seen much. Least I knew I hadn't missed much action!
I walked to the top of the beat, didn't see a rise despite a trickle of olives evident in most places. Spoke to a guy who was nymphing the fast riffles, he had just returned one trout of 1lb.
At the top I stuck on a wooly bugger and fished it back down. One chase from a half lbr and that was it. Another week gone  oh well
ugie fisher
Forum Member

« Reply #336 on: May 06, 2012, 18:32:33 PM »

Has anyone heard of any salmon being caught recently because this don report seem to be mainly based on brown trout.
Loxiafan
« Reply #337 on: May 06, 2012, 19:37:41 PM »

I was "upstream"  wink of you guys Noel from about 12 ish till about 3.30pm. Very sporadic hatch at 12.30 but literally only a couple of small fish where I was - the strong down stream wind made decent turnover of a dry fly almost impossible; a recurring theme at the moment it seems.

Sat and waited for ages for flies/fish to move.....nothing. Wind picked up more. Was heading back to the car when the wind literally stopped completely (at 2.50pm) and a small but welcome hatch of LDO's came on. I "followed" a decent fish from it's resting lie to the head of a stream/crease where it was picking off flies streaming down. I covered it consistently and it consistently took the "real" fly inches away from my artificial - it would have been laughable if I wasn't desperate to save another blank ! At least I didn't spook it which is something I suppose. Then the wind started again, this time from WSW and that was it, the big boy moved back to his beid and so did I.

I have read certain fishing reports stating that the Don trout season has got of to a flier. Really ? I don't want to jump the gun but I am not seeing much fish when I am out and about, and I am out and about quite a bit......

Never mind, I 'll give Liam's pool a thrash tomorrow  stick tongue out

Lindsay
TheYoungGun
Forum Member

« Reply #338 on: May 06, 2012, 19:42:25 PM »

Lindsay,

You sure you know where 'My pool' is?  stick tongue out

Liam

Still searching for that Monster Don Brownie!
Loxiafan
« Reply #339 on: May 06, 2012, 19:50:12 PM »

Has anyone heard of any salmon being caught recently because this don report seem to be mainly based on brown trout.

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/thread43184.html

Apparently a poor day at U.Parkhill yesterday according to the Salmon guy I spoke to, no-one catching.

According to this months T&S good numbers of Salmon were taken on lower beats. Dinnae know as I don't fish for them.

Martin Webster also writes that fresh early Sea Trout  have been landed  wink

Lindsay
Loxiafan
« Reply #340 on: May 06, 2012, 19:52:57 PM »

You sure you know where 'My pool' is?  stick tongue out
Liam

Oh yes ! Google Earth is fantastic, amazing detail, like even wooden bridges show up clearly !  wink

Pullin' yer leg dude, will be heading elsewhere. Don't fancy another day punching a 4 weight into a force 6 !

Lindsay
TheYoungGun
Forum Member

« Reply #341 on: May 06, 2012, 20:04:00 PM »

Ah well there ain't many wooden bridges on my homestretch 

Good luck on your voyage  thumbs up

Liam

danbruce
Forum Member

« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2012, 20:21:56 PM »

Had a couple of hours free today so had a cast at upper fintray, nice bit of water. Had one wee broon troot on a waterhen bloa, was fun on a 3wt. Also missed what felt like a decent sized pull before that. Did see a few fish rising but they were on the opposite bank and with the wind i was never reaching them.

Looks like i should get out again tomorrow for a bit hope the wind dies down. Any suggestions of a more sheltered beat on the Don would be more than welcome?

Cheers,

Dan
TheYoungGun
Forum Member

« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2012, 20:25:04 PM »

Balbithan, top end of the beat is tree lined and is normally not to bad depending on wind direction  thumbs up

Liam

danbruce
Forum Member

« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2012, 20:30:43 PM »

Cheers Liam,

How is the parking up at the top end of the beat, heard a few guys complaining about access to the water. I dont mind a long walk as long as i can dump the car some where.

Dan
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Forum moderators - Mike Barrio - Hamish - Spiderman - Ben_D

There is water down there ..... honestly!

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world