Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Mail order.... a long wait!
« on: 15/02/2012 at 10:54 »
Folks,
Thought I'd share what (to date) is the longest it's ever taken for something I've ordered within the UK (apparently from stock) to arrive.
Way back in very early December last year I ordered (on the 'phone) some 2" brass tubes from a very well known emporium of things fishing based in the North of England..... let's say Carlisle.
Now these tubes were for what was going to be my earliest ever Salmon fishing trip in January - which was ultimately cancelled.
When the order was placed I was told they'd be about a week. But, oddly enough, they never came.
I chased up the order twice, once on the 'phone (they've been sent, pure dead honest they have) in mid-December and again by email in early January (no reply).
I took my eye off the ball to be honest until she who must be obeyed asked at the weekend if they'd arrived yet (she remembers things like that, very handy 'personal organiser'). I could only say the order hadn't arrived, 'I'll chase it later in the week' I said.
Now before I had the chance to chase them up a parcel arrived for me in yesterdays post and (much to my surprise) the tubes (all 50 of them) had arrived.
Date dispatched :? 13th of February 2012.
Now there's a funny thing..... that's not early or mid-December now is it :!
I suspect someone either forgot to send them or they simply weren't in stock when I ordered them in the first place.
If I'd been told they weren't in stock, I wouldn't have placed the order - especially as I did say at the time of ordering that I needed them in time for a day on the Tay in January.
It's not really that big an issue, they'll get used, but (allowing for festive holidays) my count says that's two months for delivery (from 'stock').
Can anyone beat that in the 21st century :?
For no really good reason other than it simply amuses me to know :wink
H :z3

Ben Dixon

Re: Mail order.... a long wait!
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2012 at 11:07 »
Can anyone beat that in the 21st century
For no really good reason other than it simply amuses me to know
H

Place an order Hamish and I'll try my best.  I'm sure I could make you wait at least 6 months  :z7

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 15/02/2012 at 11:41 »
I had a reel seat take 7 months to come from a UK supplier. It was a Struble full Titanium saltwater jobbie that was also "in stock".

To be fair, the company kept me informed of the issues (made to order in the US and shipped across), called to appologise and did not charge p&p. Normally they are spot on though :)

« Reply #3 on: 15/02/2012 at 11:57 »
I once placed and order with a one man setup in the Inverness area, order was placed over the phone and delivery was promised within a week.  After a fortnight I called to enquire on the whereabouts of my materials was give a series of lame excuses, in the end he could have given two months a run for its money.  Now where near seven though  :z14

I did almost consider going on a fishing trip up that way and popping in to enquire in person.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 15/02/2012 at 12:43 »
I can  beat that (oh here we go  :X1)

I ordered a bride off of the internet ages ago, I can't quite recall the timescales involved but in her photo she must have been around 20 but when she finally turned up at my door she looked around 45? so it must have been a fair while  :z8

True

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 15/02/2012 at 13:02 »

I ordered a bride off of the internet ages ago, I can't quite recall the timescales involved but in her photo she must have been around 20 but when she finally turned up at my door she looked around 45? so it must have been a fair while  :z8

True

Iain

:z16 :z16 Love it!!!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 15/02/2012 at 15:01 »
Are you talking years old or stone Iain?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 15/02/2012 at 15:21 »
If it was Stone he might have kept her :X2
I guess that would be the giveaway :z4

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 16/02/2012 at 08:50 »
I once placed and order with a one man setup in the Inverness area, order was placed over the phone and delivery was promised within a week.  After a fortnight I called to enquire on the whereabouts of my materials was give a series of lame excuses, in the end he could have given two months a run for its money.  Now where near seven though  :z14

I did almost consider going on a fishing trip up that way and popping in to enquire in person.

Ahhhh yes..... I think I know who you mean. If it's the same fella I have in mind you're not the only person to tell that sad tale, pity as the products he sold are/were pretty good stuff.

I think Rob may have it 'in the bag' 7 months is pretty epic  :shock

H :z3

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 16/02/2012 at 08:54 »

True

Iain

Keep taking the meds Iain, the nice men in the white jackets that are coming to see you are friendly and mean you no harm, they're looking out for your safety.
The funny jacket they want you to put on is also for your own safety and considerably healthier than that gimp suit you bought online.

:wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 16/02/2012 at 10:30 »
Technically I do not win, because the chap that was waiting for the rod I was building had to wait 8 months by the trime he got his rod! Glad he is not a forum member  :oops

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 16/02/2012 at 10:32 »
Come to think of it, I know a chap that waited 11 months for his car...but it was a rather expensive, hand made Italian supercar. You may have seen him in the paper a few years back, as it caught fire on Union Street and brought the place to a halt.

Could not of happened to a nicer guy!  :X2

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 16/02/2012 at 11:30 »
Technically I do not win, because the chap that was waiting for the rod I was building had to wait 8 months by the trime he got his rod! Glad he is not a forum member  :oops

Dude,

How long did it take you to re ring my TCR5?  Don't suppose that counts as it wasn't mail order though eh?  :z7

Ben

« Reply #13 on: 16/02/2012 at 11:51 »
Ahhhh yes..... I think I know who you mean. If it's the same fella I have in mind you're not the only person to tell that sad tale, pity as the products he sold are/were pretty good stuff.

Sounds like the guy, did not hear about other peoples issues until after.. sods law.

Think the tackle shop in Forfar now stocks some of his stuff, may be a more reliable source.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 16/02/2012 at 12:22 »
Think the tackle shop in Forfar now stocks some of his stuff

Ah, I know who you mean, never ordered anything from him due to the horror stories going around. Shame, by all accounts his kit was good.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com