Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Phil

Salmon Rod-Spey Line vs Shooting head?
« on: 13/02/2012 at 09:42 »
Hi folks,

after fishing for Salmon last Saturday with my single hander (no success), I think, I should probably get a double hander... (then at least I can try something new, if nothing bites...)

There has been already a discussion about "the perfect all round salmon rod", so I found a Greys GS 2 14' 9wt at a quite resonable price (145GBP)... Has anybody fished with that rod? I looks ok, and it is supposed to have a med-fast action...

I am looking for lines at the moment, which seems to be even more confusing... Most recomend shooting heads, right?

Would this line be a good choice?

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly-lines/rio-afs-shooting-heads/40/no/44719

It's almost as expensive as the Greys rod...

Another line I have seen is a airflow, a lot cheaper...

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly-lines/airflo-quick-spey-salmon-lines/40/yes/47985

It says it "bridges the gap between traditional full Spey lines and the increasingly popular Scandinavian shooting heads"... which sometimes means it's not a real shooting head and not a real spey line...

It's really confusing for me, especially if you can't try them out... :z8

I hope anybody with more experience has a good advice!  :z14

Cheers,
Phil

danbruce

Re: Salmon Rod-Spey Line vs Shooting head?
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2012 at 10:10 »
Hi Phil,

Being new to Salmon fishing i know what you mean, i ended up going for this deal:

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/view.php?module=readeroffers&code=0019TS

I went for the 14ft option.

Full outfit for under £100, used it for two hours last week while getting a lesson from Ben, he seemed to think it was a good deal and good quality rod. Although it was used with a Rio AFS Kit and not the line supplied, Bens advice was that it could do with a heavier line 10/11 wt.

Would also recommend a lesson or two if you haven't used a double handed rod before, certainly helped me.

As for lines im not sure what would be best for you, sure some of the guys on here will keep you right though.

Cheers,

Dan

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2012 at 10:23 »
... so I found a Greys GS 2 14' 9wt at a quite resonable price (145GBP)...

Ouch..... I've seen them for about £110 online :shock

Has anybody fished with that rod? I looks ok, and it is supposed to have a med-fast action...

I have not tried the rod, but I think it might be 'dual rated' as a 9/10 :? Pretty common on Salmon rods but your line choice will be partially dictated by where you see yourself fishing the most.

I am looking for lines at the moment, which seems to be even more confusing... Most recomend shooting heads, right?
Yes, and no. Personally I'd go for a shooting head every time as they suit my somewhat 'functional' spey casting but, more importantly, I think they make everything so much easier for a beginner when compared to a full spey line - even a short headed spey line.
Would this line be a good choice?
http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly-lines/rio-afs-shooting-heads/40/no/44719

The AFS heads are a good choice and were the 'go to line' for many folk including me. IMHO there are better products on the market now, the Mackenzie G2 shooting heads in particular are bloody great lines and would be my recommendation to you along with a pack of appropriate tips/polyleaders.

It's almost as expensive as the Greys rod...

You pays your money...... there are few really bad rods out there these days so the most significant advantage can be in the fly line you chose, I think that's as true with Salmon gear as it is with Trout. Quality seldom comes cheap, so be prepared to dig deep into pockets and spend wisely on the right gear.

Making that line choice points you in the direction of what I would suggest is the best investment  you will make. Get some lessons from an instructor - preferably one with a mind boggoling array of fly lines to be tried on your rod. Getting some solid 'physical' advice and lessons before spending any more money would make the most sense to me before you go any further.

Hope that's of some help......

H :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2012 at 11:39 »
Ouch..... I've seen them for about £110 online :shock

I have not tried the rod, but I think it might be 'dual rated' as a 9/10 :? Pretty common on Salmon rods but your line choice will be partially dictated by where you see yourself fishing the most.

Nahhh, its a single rated rod according to the Greys website. Like you say, a quick search onlibe sees it available for £100-£110.

Phil

« Reply #4 on: 14/02/2012 at 09:24 »
Thank you guys for you advice! I really appreciate that... :z12

I think you are very right, before I buy anything I should get some lessons first...  :z16

I won't buy a rod until I had some lessons, but just curious on which website you have seen the greys rod for 100-110 GBP? I googled arround and the cheapes one I could find was 145... ???

Cheers,
Phil

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 14/02/2012 at 09:48 »
Phil - I saw the same rod for £118 (somewhere) and again for £110.
Will see if I can find the links for you later.
H :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2012 at 15:10 »
Phil,
Just a thought, but I have been reading about a company called Flextec. They are selling Salmon rods on ebay for around £50-£70 that are ment to retail at £300.

Now, if you search the salmon forums, people seem to have a lot of good things to say about them. Might be another option?

Also, the Shakespeare Odessey is often talked about in hushed tones as being an exceptional rod for the money. Tacklebargins are doing them for £40-£50.

Just a thought.

danbruce

« Reply #7 on: 14/02/2012 at 16:20 »
Phil,

The Wychwood Trufly rod in the deal at glasgow angling centre feels like a good rod to me, even i managed to put out a few casts that didn't look to shabby with it....must have been Bens shooting head though. :z4  Sure Ben would be able to tell you more about the rod as he had a cast of it.

Also in the deal you also get a good looking Scierra sweep reel and a few other bits and pieces to get you started.

Cheers, :z18

Dan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 14/02/2012 at 19:52 »
Hi Phil,

Re the Wychwood Truefly rod.....  I didn't spend a lot of time casting it but it's not bad, in fact I think you'd struggle to get anything better for the price of the GAC deal.

The rod is quite heavy for 14' rod but cast well, recovery was good and it has a med / fast action.  We used a 9/10 38g AFS head on the rod, this felt light, I think it would benefit from a heavier head, MacKenzie 42g would probably suite very well.  The GAC kit came with a Orvis 9/10 Spey line (re-boxed Rio Power Spey) which is really not suited IMO to this rod for a novice wanting to learn to Spey cast and not a great choice for fishing the Don where D loop space can be limited

In answer to your original question, I'd go down the shooting head route.  You are moving around less line with a head, moving less line is easier than moving more line around.  With Spey lines being back weighted, you really need to have the whole head out to get good load on the rod, with a shooting head this is still only a short ish length and they are better at carrying fishing gear, tips & tubes.

Dan, I still have your line, give me a shout and let me know what you'd like to do.

Cheers

Ben

Phil

« Reply #9 on: 15/02/2012 at 09:39 »
Hi Rob,

I had a look at the Flextec and Shakespeare Odyssey... This is a really good option! I also didn't know that website, they have some great offers! :z16 I really think I should get one of those...

Dan, thanks for your advice! I had a look at the Wychwood too, looks nice too! The only thing is that I have already a 10wt reel from saltwater flyfishing... So it might be better to buy just a rod and then look for the right line set up... 

Cheers,

Phil

Phil

« Reply #10 on: 15/02/2012 at 10:04 »
Hi Ben,

thanks for you opinion! Am I right that you give casting lessons as well?

Do you also give lessons for people who don't have their own tackle? To get a better idea of different rods, lines... before buying something?

Thanks,

Phil

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 15/02/2012 at 11:44 »
Do you also give lessons for people who don't have their own tackle? To get a better idea of different rods, lines... before buying something?

Don't do it!!!! He has an entire shop of rods, reels and lines at his disposal!!! Leave your wallet at home! I went in for a packet of hooks and came out with £650 worth of Helios rod!!! :)

Have fun...I am sure you will..Ben will see you right!  :z14

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com