Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Barrio SLX Fly Line
« on: 22/12/2011 at 22:58 »
Following up on last year's research and development ... some new toys are coming along nicely and should be available in early 2012 :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

Re: Testing Prototypes
« Reply #1 on: 22/12/2011 at 23:20 »
Me like  :cool:

:z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 23/12/2011 at 09:39 »
Is that an orange head and white running line I see?

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 23/12/2011 at 11:26 »
Pretty close Rob  :wink

H :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 26/12/2011 at 12:08 »
Yup,

Very nice line, very excited by this one.  Probably the best all round line I have come across to date.

Cheers

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 26/12/2011 at 19:49 »
If that's the "fishing" line that had a chuck with recently then, yes, it's the best line going. :z16
Just loverly, guv.

:z1

Mike Barrio

Barrio SLX Fly Line
« Reply #6 on: 02/01/2012 at 14:37 »
Hi folks :cool:

The new Barrio SLX fly lines have now passed the research and development stage and should be available from stock towards the end of this month, or early in February.

Here is a wee video testing the 6wt prototype :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

Re: Barrio SLX Fly Line
« Reply #7 on: 02/01/2012 at 16:48 »
I am perhaps a wee bit biased, but I think the new line is the proverbial dogs danglies :cool: It's seriously good and unquestionably the nicest fishing line I've used bar none.
A very worthwhile addition to the range and a line that should be in everyones armoury :z16

danbruce

« Reply #8 on: 02/01/2012 at 16:53 »
Looks like a sweet line Mike! :z16

Just need the lessons to go with it so i can cast like the video. :X1

Think i'll be buying one once they are in stock. What range of weights you doing them in?

Cheers :z18

Dan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 02/01/2012 at 17:04 »
Hi Dan :z16

The SLX will initially be available in WF4 to WF8, but we are working on a WF3 for the future too.

Best wishes
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #10 on: 03/01/2012 at 08:43 »
Mike

How about a wee bit of information on the head length, taper etc. How does it differ to the GT90?

Irvine

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 03/01/2012 at 11:07 »
Very different concepts in line design Irvine, specs will be forthcoming shortly I'm sure.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 03/01/2012 at 11:40 »
Hi Irvine,

The line has a head length of about 33' with a short belly and a series of multiple compound tapers to the front.  The rear taper is also compounded and stepped allowing for sweet loops and fast shoots from rolls & Spey whilst still retaining stability on longer over head casts.
The SLX is not designed as a distance line, this was not even a thought during the design process.  It is designed to fish well at common ranges, from 20' to 70' (although it is relatively easy to straighten at 100'+) in a range of situations from both over head and roll casts.
Superb on the river for short range accurate stuff, loads well at close range so superb for representing a team of traditionals dibbled back to boat or tube back out to fishing range with minimal false casting.  The heavier weights are very happy to carry poly leaders and salmon flies from Spey casts or a team of lures for stillwaters.  Great line also for making fast shoots when pitching dries to cruising rainbows on still waters.
Turnover is positive but very controllable, the line really likes tapered leaders and gives accurate predictable presentations when throwing at big Don lumps where potential shots are always limited.
I've put the samples in the hands of anglers of all abilities from relative novices to Master instructors and all the feedback has been very positive.  The SLX has something to offer all levels of angler, advanced casters will be able to do some pretty clever stuff with it and thanks to the positive turnover, visible head and colour change, less advanced casters will get repeatable, predictable results every cast and good range with minimal effort. 

Definitely my go to line in 2012  :cool:

Video of Kevin

Cheers

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #13 on: 03/01/2012 at 22:25 »
He'll have someones eye out with those loops  :z4 :z4   :z13

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 03/01/2012 at 22:55 »
He'll have someones eye out with those loops  :z4 :z4   :z13

Yeah, pretty tidy I thought but he'll still wring my neck for posting that clip  :z4

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com