Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Abel

leader
« on: 05/12/2011 at 20:19 »
Hi guys just a question again when I am fishing i use 3 flies and change them quite a lot and the top 2 dropper lines get short do you renew your whole leader or do you attach a new dropper if you attach a new dropper what knott do you use. Just now I renew my whole leader there must be a easier way and save line and time   thanks for any replies all the best J :z18

Jim Eddie

Re: leader
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/2011 at 17:23 »
Try these tippet rings, when your dropper gets to short just tine on another one.

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/tippet/riverge-seamless-leader-rings/40/no/46565

:z18

Jim

James Abel

« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2011 at 18:10 »
Cheers Jim your a wealth of information thanks for the reply tight lines J :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 06/12/2011 at 18:28 »
A wee tip if you buy them, thread them on to a safety pin, tie them to the leader then take off the safety pin.

:z18

Jim

James Abel

« Reply #4 on: 07/12/2011 at 11:04 »
Iv ordered 2 packs  so I :z16 will be busy making lines up for better days it will give me something to do over the winter all the best J

Dutchfly

« Reply #5 on: 07/12/2011 at 16:57 »
I started to use those rings in a different way this year. I thread a line through one (as Jim wrote, use a safetypin!) and then form a dropper loop so that the ring hangs in the loop. Wet the leader and thighten. It's hard to describe what should happen, but the idea is that the ring sits thightly inside the knot at an angle, so you can easily replace the dropper when it becomes too short. I think this makes a stronger because the line stays intact.

(after rereading this, even I don't really understand what I'm trying to say here. Sorry!  :oops)

Good luck!

Jeroen

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 07/12/2011 at 17:29 »
Do you mean inside a simple 3 turn water knot on the main line Jeroen?

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 07/12/2011 at 19:18 »
I personaly think those wee metal links are rubbish  :z6
If your 2 droppers are to short simply tie on another dropper say 1 inch below where the original one was and trim off the excess on the initial dropper, simples!

Dutchfly

« Reply #8 on: 07/12/2011 at 21:35 »
A water knot could do the trick I guess, Mike, but I prefer the dropperloop: http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_dropper_loop.html

When I thighten, I make sure that no loop is formed so that the ring is as close to the leader as possible, "inside" the knot so to speak.

See you

Jeroen

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 07/12/2011 at 22:11 »
One I seen elsewhere but haven't tried yet is cut the short dropper down to a stub of a mill or 2. Form a new dropper with a perfection loop at on end and loop it around the stub. Gives you a new dropper that swivels around the main line. :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 08/12/2011 at 10:09 »
A water knot could do the trick I guess, Mike, but I prefer the dropperloop: http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_dropper_loop.html

When I thighten, I make sure that no loop is formed so that the ring is as close to the leader as possible, "inside" the knot so to speak.

See you

Jeroen

I'm with you now, I hadn't seen that loop knot before ....... interesting :z16

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 11/12/2011 at 00:05 »
I don't use rings myself ..... if a dropper is becoming too short I normally cut the line on either side of the knot ( removing the dropper ) and move the bottom half of the leader further up, about 6 to 8 inches, then tie a new water knot. This way the end of the upper half becomes my 'new dropper' and the lower half becomes the main leader.

If I change flies a lot and it ends up short again, I would renew the whole thing.

I hope that makes sense :z4

Cheers
Mike

James Abel

« Reply #12 on: 12/12/2011 at 21:02 »
Hi Mike Baz jim  Jeroen  its been good to see what everyone uses and has gave me some good ideas for my next time out what wont be till next year :z19 I see what you are saying about cutting the knott and joining it it make sense I have now got 2 bags of the rings and I will use them  I know Baz  :z14 dose not like them but its just a quick fix to maximise the time I have fishing when I get out  :z12 Thanks for all the replies  all the best J  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com