Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: Outcasts Highland Fling 2012
« Reply #30 on: 01/08/2012 at 19:21 »
OK, so one of the waters for this years 'Outcasts Highland Fling' featured here http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3890.0 and today I had the pleasure of taking a complete loch novice out for a day afloat on the same water. He won a days fishing with me at this years Wild Trout Trust auction - what a nice man.

Thought those who will be making it (and those who will not) might enjoy a photo or two of just a couple of fish from today:

and

He went away a very very happy chappie :cool: Come to think of it, so did I :wink Roll on the Outcasts gathering  :cool:

:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #31 on: 01/08/2012 at 19:42 »
I am sooo not going to sleep until the 17th  :z4

Knowing which loch that is I am not surprised at the quality of fish. I have long suspected that fish of that size and bigger lurk in it's lovely water. After the summer we are experiencing the weather gods better get the middle of this month sorted out.

Well done on taking another novice out and getting him into quality fish Hamish.  :z16
Sixteen days and counting...

:z1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #32 on: 01/08/2012 at 19:55 »
Nice lookin troot.
Lookin forward to it, but got the chore of a week in Orkney first.  :z16
It's a tough life.  :wink

Irvine Ross

« Reply #33 on: 02/08/2012 at 19:45 »
Can I book now for next year please :grin

Nice troot.

Irvine

Hamish Young

« Reply #34 on: 02/08/2012 at 22:48 »
Aye Irvine.... once I've figured out when it's going to take place in 2013 :cool:

H :z3

Iain Cameron

« Reply #35 on: 14/08/2012 at 10:01 »
Knowing which loch that is I am not surprised at the quality of fish. I have long suspected that fish of that size and bigger lurk in it's lovely water. After the summer we are experiencing the weather gods better get the middle of this month sorted out.

ah, it's soon now. Have a couple of secret fun flies lurking. Slightly larger than I'd usually use...

A timely article from Alan Liddell in this month's FF&FT mag too - just quick skimmed it, will read properly later, about dries on wild lochs. I'd been wavering between going down the full-on trad wet-fly, 3 fly cast route, or a single dry route.. I think a pick'n'mix of the two for me. Unless Hamish and Euan are catching loads, in which case I'll shamelessly copy them

iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #36 on: 14/08/2012 at 12:33 »
I too have tied up some dry flies Iain...
On #8 longshank hooks! :z4
Seriously, I do have some "large" dries that I want to try out of curiosity.A
And you are right, not long now  :grin :grin :grin

Iain Cameron

« Reply #37 on: 14/08/2012 at 13:43 »
I too have tied up some dry flies Iain...
On #8 longshank hooks! :z4

"If I cannot overwhelm with my quality, I will overwhelm with my quantity." - Emile Zola

that's a big flee!

Euan Innes

« Reply #38 on: 14/08/2012 at 18:19 »
I reckon I might just knock 'em on the head at range.

Joking apart Iain, I've seen mayfly that big up North and I'm just curious to see what happens.
I also have regular patterns on the same hooks... :X2
Just have to see how the Access copes with all this.  :z4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #39 on: 19/08/2012 at 22:01 »
just back from 3 days of cracking fun up in Inverness land with Hamish & Rachel, Euan, John, Alan.

Not always ideal fishing conditions... but cracking weekend.

One lunchtime photo probably sums it up while we took a break, lochside, in the blazing sun and strong winds.

There's some other pics at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151167041441031.498331.706376030&type=3

The fish didn't always show, so we ended day 3 mucking about with casting, and trying to hit a piece of driftwood, since it was the only thing showing!

Many thanks to Hamish for organising, and fantastic hospitality. More later, when I'm less knackered!

Iain

John Reid

« Reply #40 on: 19/08/2012 at 23:25 »
I would also like to extend my thanks to everyone that participated in the event but especially to Hamish and Rachael for their hospitality. Although the fishing was tough it was thoroughly enjoyable. My cheeks are still sore with laughing.

Hopefully we will get a chance to do it again soon.

Like Iain I am knackered but I will pen some more words tomorrow.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #41 on: 20/08/2012 at 09:11 »
Outcasts August 2012

Where to start?! So many good memories for such a short trip.

Day one, Hamish, Euan Innes & I gathered in H's kitchen, munching on some very delicious home-smoked pork. Probably that delayed us, cos by the time we reached the River Beauly the incoming tide was flattening out the pool.

Oh well, a quick run down the first beat, before heading to inverness to collect boat keys for next day & grab food.

Great pint of Happy Chappy ale (Cromarty Brewery, http://www.cromartybrewing.co.uk/beer), then back to the River B, now dropping very very quickly as the tide receded to reveal some lovely, fishy runs.

Hamish punched out a sunray (i think) on a s/h 8 wt; Euan on a 15fter, and me on an 11ft switch - different rods, same outcome - no target fish landed.

Hamish at least did release a brownie, and Euan long-distanced released a sea trout.  Bit of a natter on the bank, then home for beers and medals.

John Reid arrived that evening. Some beers, whisky, excellent BBQ from H, and a reasonably early bedtime to be ready for day two.

Saturday, hot hot sun burned of the mist as we headed to meet Allan Liddle. Stunning drive up to the loch, equally stunning loch. Picture postcard stuff. Err, don't have a picture from that angle, but this is on the opposite beach, looking back up to the boat mooring.

It was pretty windy, we had no drogues, so drifting was a bit erratic.

I shared a boat with Hamish, and got to see dapping in action for the first time. H explained that if a fish came to the dap and missed, that I should get my flies on its nose immediately. Sure enough, early in, fish swirls at H's dap, he tells me to cover it and strip, and fish on! Brilliant, and we released a truly beautifully spotted brown of a pound or so.

Over the day H was disappointed that the loch's fish didn't show as much as usual, but I still had a cracking day – been a long time since I was out on a loch, drifting, and pulling wets through the top. Incredible that the fish can hit a fly at speed in a big wave. Some heavy rowing back up the water, then a drift towards the beach for lunch. Approaching the shore, big waves, 1-3 feet, yet still pulled up a few fish.

Lunch was relaxed, working on the tans, and a good bit of banter all round. That's probably what makes this kind of event so great – good chat, not too rushed, and a chance to swap a fishy and other water-related tales….

A brutal row back up, a rest for H, then back at it. I took the oars to drift us along a shore for a good few hundered yards, while H fished wets and dapped. One or two offers, but nothing doing at all, much to H's frustration. A looooong row back to mooring, H raising one fish on the dap.  The other boat took a few more fish  - possibly because they had one man on oars to keep the drift steady.  

So, not many fish, but honestly, apart from the never-ending row back up the loch, enjoyed every second of it – stunning scenery, learned a few things from Hamish, and just got absorbed in the experience.

We came off the water around 8 I think, so it was a very full day. Bade farewell to Allan L. Inverness. Curry. Home. Whisky. Beer. Chat. Lights out.

Sunday. Fair to say we were not in a rush – tired from the previous day, and the strong sun/blue sky combo wasn't giving us much hope.

More coffee? Aye…

Piled the tubes and gear into John's truck, and off up into the hills. Again, cracking scenery (I hope someone else took pics) as we crested the hill and looked down onto a seemingly perfect loch – shallow, open, not too huge. Ideal for tubing… one wee fish rose, some clouds were gathering, the wind was light… looked perfect…

Long story short. Two hours or so later, we beached the tubes/boat and compared notes. Nada. Nowt. Hee-haw.

Not a fish was seen, raised, touched between the four of us. Incredible. We're sitting on the bank, ants/flees everywhere, shrimp in the marginal stones, perfect light ripple on the loch. Not. One. Fish.

Ah well, time to muck about with casting and rods.

Driftwood target practice - gets harder the further away it drifts!

Increasing midge action called the shots, time to pack up, head back to Hamish and Rachaels, say our thank yous, and hit the long road home, tired but anticipating the next one!

Hamish Young

« Reply #42 on: 20/08/2012 at 10:35 »

Great weekend that went by too quickly  :z6
Started off on the Beauly AC beats but the tide came in very early..... which was a bit of a pain. Still, a run into Inverness and back to the river seemed to nip by in no time. The river had cleared down nicely by the time we got back:

Iain covered the water really nicely with his Orvis Access Switch rod and Euan got back into the 'swing' of things with my Mackenzie DTX 15' after several years of not picking up a double hander. The far bank got hooked up a few times, so my guess is he was doing OK  :z7

Iain and Switch:

Euan and Mackenzie DTX:

We had to do some beer, wine and whisky sampling in the evening when John turned up. Iain had a hard time choosing just exactly what to sample, so did everything. Good man.

The evenings entertainment was 'sponsored' by several beers from the Black Isle Brewery http://www.blackislebrewery.com/ some excellent red wine and a selection of whiskies including a very quaffable Glendronach and some Isle of Jura. Nice.

Saturday morning near Beauly dawned with mist clearing to blue skies. Bollocks. Fortunately, Iain had the foresight to bring some excellent Blue Sumatra coffee from my favourite coffee and team emporium in Aberdeen (Macbeans). My mood improved immediately. With lunches made we scooted off to Inverness to meet up with Allan who was joining for us for the day afloat on Ruthven.

The good news was, despite the strong winds and bright sun, some cloud was around. So we hussled down to the water and headed off.

John, Allan and Euan head off for a day afloat:

Whilst I volunteered Iain to bail out our boat for the day:

It became very clear half way through the first drift that the sport was going to be harder than I've got used to on Ruthven. A few fish were willing to play though and, as Iain has already described, we got some teamwork going between dap and wetfly. The fruits:

Unfortunately due to the wind direction a lot of rowing was required. Bloody hard at times too in the wind conditions. We met up with the other chaps for lunch but, just before they landed, I grabbed a couple of pics includingt his one which I really like:

Lunch was a hoot, plenty of banter and yarns told.
The large waves and strong wind might have prolonged lunch longer than normal, but the craic was great.

We headed off to Inverness and had a meal at my favourite curry house the Rajah: http://www.rajahindianrestaurant.com/ honestly folks, it's worth finding if you're in the area.

Sunday (after a few ales etc on Saturday night) was on Loch nam Bonnach above Beauly. Truthfully, Euan and I did fish it earlier in the year in silly amounts of sunshine and heat. Oddly enough, we got the same again. But after a 'gentle' start to the day we made our way up and conditions improved to very nearly almost perfect. We saw feck all. Not a sausage. Nada. Zip. Bugger all. Perhaps the phrase Euan and I had coined earlier in the year (Loch nam Bollocks) is more appropriate. Give it a miss folks, it's pish. Sorry guys, I had high hopes for that place.  I'll do better next time.

The retreat from the midgies that eventually drove us away from the loch did give me this belting pic which deserves a caption competition:

Back to my place via my 'torture' site on the Beauly (a bridge where you can see all the fish you have failed to catch on the club waters of the Beauly) and everyone headed home. I had a great time and I know Rachel didn't get too bored by all the fishing talk which, in itself, is something of a minor miracle  :z4
Well done chaps  :cool:

There was talk of another wee visit towards the back-end for Salmon. Hopefully, we will make it happen.
Just so long as I do not have to do any more damn rowing :!

:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #43 on: 20/08/2012 at 12:46 »
I have not much else to add to what Iain and Hamish have said. It was hard going but I managed to come home with aching cheek bones and ribs intact.  :z16

The craik was the best. The day on Ruthven was one of the funniest days afloat I have ever had. It was also one of those days that my rule book got the heave. Normally with that kind of wave #8s and #6s would be the norm but Allan should us how it was done on #12 and #14 Hedgehogs. In Assynt and other Western lochs it's the bigger the better. Ruthven doesn't fish like that, so I'll be back at the vice soon.....

The Beauly was a dream - great wading, great pools and an LDR on a sea trout. Fab!

Nam Bollocks?
Well look at this

And this

And there are no trout why? The loch is perfect in every way bar one - nae feckin' fish. One more off the list before I die...
Hamish, there is no need too apologise for Nam Bollocks, we both though it was going to be good.

The conversation over the three days covered many a varied topic and I can assure you none of them will be repeated on here. What happens on the Fling stays on the Fling. Lets just say,  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Now this is what I came for

As John said, "it's called fishing, not catching for a reason".

Thanks to all the chaps and thanks Rachel for putting up with us.
Here's to next year  :z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #44 on: 20/08/2012 at 14:22 »
What can i say?  Briliant day out and great crac, good fishin, great weather (for the beach) and big thanks to all, especially Hamish for puttin it together.
John and Ewan deserve a mention for puttin up wi me in the boat all day as well, and Iain as undisputed king of the lunchtime tales.

Around 15 plus years since i fished Ruthven, and i can guarantee it won't be anything like as long before i'm back there again.

Interestin water and just as i remembered it, very very 'fishy'.

Glad you all enjoyed the rest of the weekend guys and thanks for the fun on Sat.
I'll pop up a couple of pics when i get them off the camera (lazy B)

Regards

Allan L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com