Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sieger Devries

Re: What do you consider......
« Reply #30 on: 24/11/2011 at 18:22 »
My 2ct. on this subject (how subjective it may be...  :wink )..... Firstly: The discovery of flyfishing in the first place some 6 years ago... And boy did I have some catching up to do... Many rods further I think I discovered my Holy Grail(s) of rods... I tried Cane, Glass, Graphite and the Boron/Graphite combo...

Got a closet full with sticks but my go to rods are:

Splitcane: 7' 3# form Ids Schukken (Dutch Rod builder)
Glass: 7' 4# Hardy JET from 1973 (Think one off the best Glass-designed rods and affordable....)
Graphite: Winston IM6 (and for Double hand Meiser Highlander S S2H1307S-4)
Graph/Boron: Winston 8' 4# B2T

All in all I'm pretty addicted to it and Ooooh do I love it... :grin

(unfortunately Tom Morgen does not build rods anymore due to his illness (Parkinsons ??) as far as I know his wife learned the designing of tapers and rods from him and she builds them (or supervises the process)...)

Euan Innes

« Reply #31 on: 25/11/2011 at 07:56 »
I've thought of a gap in the timeline.
For years fly rods came in a standard length / weight. For example 7' #4, 8.5' #5, 9' #6, 10' #7, 11' #8 and so on.
When did long and light start?

My only reference to long and light is Geoffrey Bucknall having his Brightwater rods made for him in one line weight (#3 I think) in 8', 9', 10' lengths. I had an 11' #5 Clan rod (wish I still had it :z19) but I hadn't come across anything lighter until more recently. I seem to remember that Bruce and Walker toyed with long and light but the angling press slated the rods and they disappeared pretty quick. Hexagraph went too but that's another story.... :z4

In my dealings with Greys (I got quite friendly when I had my bamboo made) they poo poo'd the idea of long and light saying no one would use them and they were a bitch to make. They now have an 11' #3 and a 10' #2 in their range!

So when did the technology catch up with anglers demands and give us long and light? To me that was one of the best things that tackle development gave birth to.

:z1

Peter McCallum

« Reply #32 on: 25/11/2011 at 08:28 »
I had an early B&W Border 11' for a 3-5 advertised as a 'wet fly' rod which as always equated to sloppy spaghetti like action. Thankfully at that time I mainly fished with small floats and natural bait, worms, stick bait, gadgers so it was actually quite good for that. But fly fishing  :shock :shock :shock

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com