Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Huge Brownie Leaping Falls, Deeside Glen
« on: 25/10/2011 at 13:45 »
Hi Everyone,

I was out for a walk with the missus in a Deeside Glen yesterday and saw many Salmonids ascending a small fall on a spawning burn. There were clearly some Salmon (vey red males, lialic grey hens) up to 8 lbs jumping, some Grilse and also and some smaller fish I reckoned were Sea Trout (and even smolts).

My missus got this shot:

What species do you reckon it is - quite spotted ? ! Was about 3-4 lbs in weight I reckon. Sorry about quality it was quite dark yesterday.

Was a great place to watch them but I am not giving the location on the open thread. Let's just say it was a tributary of a tributary of a tributary of the Dee. If any genuine forum members are interested PM me and I'll give you the location - it is keepered so it would be hard to get away with any wrong doing.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

Re: Leaping Salmonids, Deeside Glen
« Reply #1 on: 25/10/2011 at 17:52 »
Hi Lindsay,
I was fully expecting to see a cock salmon in spawning attire but I'd say that was unmistakably Brown Trout livery. I have never seen a Brown Trout leaping a fall.
Although the Dee is not synonymous with Browns the tributaries do hold some nice ones and I have personally been taken to watch some huge browns in a tributary of a tributary.

Nice photo  :z16

Iain

Loxiafan

Re: Leaping Salmonids, Deeside Glen
« Reply #2 on: 25/10/2011 at 21:22 »
Hi Iain,

Thanks for your comments - I reckoned Brownie too so that is at least two of us ! It was a big fish too and quite a leap - some of the Salmon were needing quite a few goes to get up.

It was a "tributary of a tributary" btw not as I said above.

I have heard before that the Dee is much better for Browns than is made out - possibly supressed by Salmon anglers !  :wink

I have read a few studies and tribs like the Gairn were pretty much barren of Brown Trout whereas those nearer Aberdeen were actually very good. This was mid Deeside though.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Loxiafan

Re: Huge Brownie Leaping Falls, Deeside Glen
« Reply #3 on: 25/10/2011 at 21:35 »
I've changed the Forum title so it gets a bit more interest, hope that is okay ! I was pretty convinced it was a Brownie when the wife stuck it up on the computer and Iain has confirmed this AFAIAC.

Massive Brownies in the Dee, who needs the Don ! Where can I buy a day ticket, oh that's right, I can't !

Guess who will be 'doing the duo' on the Feugh next year ? !  :z1

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 25/10/2011 at 21:55 »
Pretty much impossible to say in a photo like that ...... but always nice to dream that it may have been a brownie :cool:

Back end salmon can be pretty spotty, here's an example, but I've seen much spottier ones than this :wink

Cheers
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 25/10/2011 at 23:37 »
Might be right Mike, and yes not the best photo to see.

However, big spots (and quite heavily spotted), spots extending below lateral line, red spots with white borders and the hint of a yellow belly below... ??

I reckon it is  Brownie, but that said will bow to someone with knowledge of Salmon - I don't fish for them at all (not a real river fish you see) so my experience of coloured fish is only what I have seen in piccies.

Studied Aquaculture at the Barony in Dumfries when I left school and our Broodstock brownies looked very similar to the fish in the pic as did back end fish we caught in the Ae, a trib of the Annan.....but I know how hard it can be separating Sea Trout and Brown Trout !

Btw I didn't go into Fish Farming as a career incase anyone is thinking of sending a lynch mob round !  :shock

Anyone else for Salmon ?

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 25/10/2011 at 23:55 »
I agree that without a better picture it's speculation & we will never know for sure.
I also agree that cock salmon spawning suits are varied but have never seen one with as many spots as this.
It'd be nice to hear from a Dee fisher and anyone who can comment on its' Sea-Trout spawning colours.

I'm sticking with my original choice.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 25/10/2011 at 23:56 »
Can't get it clear enough ...... but I like your thinking :wink

Cheers
Mike

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #8 on: 26/10/2011 at 05:46 »
I know bugger all about Salmon, but does the tail shape help narrow down whether it is a Salmon or Brown/Sea Trout?

Ewan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 26/10/2011 at 05:59 »
does the tail shape help narrow down whether it is a Salmon or Brown/Sea Trout?

That's what I was thinking, looks very much like a trouts tail.

Sandy

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #10 on: 26/10/2011 at 06:05 »
Yeah - agree.  A salmon's tail is supposed to be a bit more "forked" isn't it?  Picture makes it difficult to be sure though.

Ewan

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 26/10/2011 at 10:14 »
I did wonder about the tail shape but it's impossible to see by the photo if the tail is forked, straight, slightly concave, etc.

Cock Salmon (larger) take on that slightly concave/ straight profile but I've been centering things around the weight of the fish indicated by Lindsey as there is nothing in the photo to give relation of size.

Still waiting for a Salmon expert & sticking to my original theory.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #12 on: 26/10/2011 at 13:28 »
Will try to get more pics from the missus tonight for scale - there were Salmon too that were bigger, but shots are similar in quality. I reckon this beast was 3 possibly 4 lbs based on the length and condition...but that could be the optimistic fisherman in me !  :wink Certainly if you caught it on the Don youd be happy.

Some info on young trout (and where bigger trout may lurk) in Deeside from "The Distribution and Growth of Juvenile Salmon and Trout in the Major Tributaries of River Dee Catchment" by P.E Shackley and M.J Donaghy :

Interesting the study got not much/none in the River Gairn - fished it 10 plus years ago and got a lot of (small) brown trout up to 6/7 oz. Seems the tribs nearer Aberdeen are better for Trout and to an extent Limestone richer areas around Braemar interestingly. Beltie and Cattie seem to have best head of juv trout.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #13 on: 26/10/2011 at 15:34 »
Here are pics od several fish inc. one above. Reckon the falls are approx 3 feet to lip 4 feet to clear, but may be wrong.

Smallest (Grilse ?):

Biggest (Salmon):

Suspected Brownie:

They appear to be taken from different distances/perspectives so bear that in mind. I was maybe 'ambitious' with my estimated weight ? Maybe not, but 4lb might be pushing it.

Cheers,

Lindsay

« Reply #14 on: 08/11/2011 at 10:44 »

Looks like a Brown buy what ever it is nice pictures. well done.
                                                                                      :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com