Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Monster Swedish Salmon
« on: 17/10/2011 at 17:46 »
Huge Swedish Salmon, unfortunately the page does not translate to well, so not sure why it was not accepted as the Swedish record.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fop.se%2Flanet%2F1.3993906-har-fangades-monsterlaxen

Pity it was chapped though.

:z18

Jim

Kev Graham

Re: Monster Swedish Salmon
« Reply #1 on: 17/10/2011 at 19:04 »
Big fish, would have liked to have seen that tide fresh 

Why would anyone want to purposely kill what`s clearly a gravid fish?

Photo and measurements should have been the order of the day. I dont think the majority of Scandies have accepted the C&R concept yet.

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 17/10/2011 at 20:34 »
It translates like this

"Sweden's largest salmon caught with a rod was taken on a fly in Bergeforsen on Sunday afternoon.
- I thought I had lows. Then pulled the salmon out nearly 200 meters of line. After 45 minutes I managed to rake it, says German Uwe Lehrer, who lives in Huljen, very pleased.

Related
SEE ALSO
See more pictures of ST.nu
Four years ago bought the German Uwe Lehrer from Stuttgart a house in Huljen and moved there with his wife Susanne and daughter Leah. Just as long as he has sport fishing in Rock Rapids. Already in July, he had a storlax on the hook.

- I was out with a friend and fished, and got on a storlax. I was inside it three times at the net before being struck himself. We judged it to around 35 pounds, says Uwe Lehrer.

But on Sunday afternoon, he received dividends as he fished from a boat berthed at Helena's island in Bergeforsen Zone 3. He knew almost immediately that it was a giant fish.

- First it was completely calm. Then put the salmon off and emptied almost 200 meters from the roll. Then I managed to get up the anchor and followed in the boat. It took 45 minutes before I could get it into my big landing net, says Uwe Lehrer, who was alone in the boat.

Then he drove home to Huljen and large fish weighed on a digital scale that goes to 200 pounds. Now beat the 29.2 kg.

Swedish record in other words.

- That night I could not sleep. I was too excited, he says.

The current record stands now at 28.72 kg, and is a salmon caught off the Blekinge coast of trolling the 1992nd

It did not, unfortunately, Mr Lehrer, who had seen a laxnotering in Ljungan of 31.5 pounds. The fish were taken during förbudstid and are not counted in the statistics. Why did not Mr Lehrer the strict rules that apply to register a Swedish record, weighing the crested wave of witnesses, photos and more precise measurements.

But there is still a memory for life for Mr Lehrer. In Huljen are fish in the freezer, gutted and waiting for transport by air to Germany.

- I have a friend down there who will preserve it. And then I hang it above the couch in the living room, says Uwe Lehrer and smiles with satisfaction.

His wife Susanne protested, pointing instead of the kitchen window to the guest house:

- Out there it can get hung."

I love the last line  :z4

I also agree with Mr Shadow. A good tape measure would have been handy...

:z1

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 17/10/2011 at 21:15 »
Quote from another forum.

This picture was shown a few forums and before evereyone starts the "that shouldn't have been killed" comments, it was killed as it was a hatchery fish and they didn't want it to interbreed with the main wild stock.

That particular river had a great run of wild fish years ago, and is slowly coming back, and they felt that all hatchery fish should be killed for that reason. You will notice that the adipose fin has been removed at the hatchery, hence the reason they knew quickly that it wasn't a wild fish.

Thats why it was killed in that condition.

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 17/10/2011 at 22:09 »
Fair point well made  :z16

:z1

Kev Graham

« Reply #5 on: 17/10/2011 at 22:13 »
Quote from another forum.

This picture was shown a few forums and before evereyone starts the "that shouldn't have been killed" comments, it was killed as it was a hatchery fish and they didn't want it to interbreed with the main wild stock.

That particular river had a great run of wild fish years ago, and is slowly coming back, and they felt that all hatchery fish should be killed for that reason. You will notice that the adipose fin has been removed at the hatchery, hence the reason they knew quickly that it wasn't a wild fish.

Thats why it was killed in that condition.

Ah well, that makes everything alright then....

As it was a qoute from another forum from which you chose to post, i would be interested to learn your opinion?

Cheers

TS

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 18/10/2011 at 08:07 »
Hi TS, My opinion on what?

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 18/10/2011 at 09:52 »
Hi TS, My opinion on what?
Presumably, should it have been killed or released.

Not that it's really relevant that hundreds of anglers on this or any other forum may say 'it should have gone back' as the fish is already long dead and in a freezer waiting the tlc of a taxidermist.
I sincerely doubt that the fact that it was a 'hatchery fish' weighed heavily on the mind of the captor or influenced his decision to dispatch it, I suspect it was going to be chapped on the head regardless. But that's just a personal opinion.

Having all the facts to hand is useful and we....errrr.... do not appear to have all the facts.
Personally, I'm intrigued by the rule of killing all the 'hatchery fish' I would assume (perhaps in error) that the 'hatchery fish' would have come from native brood stock and therefore the dead leviathan was in fact a native to the river and the clipped adipose nothing more than an indicator that the fish had come from their own restocking programme.
Seems a bit daft to me to knock all those fish on the head when so much time and effort would have gone into 'ensuring' there was a run of fish in the river.
However, not being in possession of the full facts means there's not much point in grumbling about such things.

I hope the taxidermist has some tartan paint to hand, looks like he might need it :wink

:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com