Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Casting a Longbelly V Shortbelly
« on: 07/10/2011 at 22:39 »
What would you consider to be the main differences in casting a short belly line and a long belly line in an overhead cast?

Would you cast them the same way, or would you change anything in your approach to casting them?

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

Re: Casting a Longbelly V Shortbelly
« Reply #1 on: 07/10/2011 at 23:44 »
In general I'd carry more with the long belly and shoot less.  With a short head I'd usually rely on more shoot and carry less.

Long or short head is ponly part of the story for me, rear taper length and runningline thickness is as important as the head length in a fishing rather than casting for fun situation.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 08/10/2011 at 00:45 »
Great stuff :z16

Just a thought that I had the other day at the loch, I notice that a lot of folk tend to stick to one casting stroke, comfort zone I guess, not changing it much between longer casts and shorter casts and/or carry if you like.

I have been guilty of this myself to a point :wink

Cheers
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #3 on: 08/10/2011 at 10:15 »

I notice that a lot of folk tend to stick to one casting stroke, comfort zone I guess, not changing it much between longer casts and shorter casts and/or carry if you like.

Mike

Oh Shit....Mike's been watching me trying to cast again.  :oops :shock

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 08/10/2011 at 11:38 »
Just a thought that I had the other day at the loch, I notice that a lot of folk tend to stick to one casting stroke, comfort zone I guess, not changing it much between longer casts and shorter casts and/or carry if you like.

This is why we no longer teach casting in terms of clock faces.  The stroke required to give a certain size or shape of loop depends upon the bend in the rod which is influenced by mass of line outside the tip and the acceleration applied by the angler.  

The ability to lengthen and reduce the casting stroke when required makes a huge difference to no only distance but control at any range.

Cheers
Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 08/10/2011 at 18:26 »
As I have got older I have noticed that my belly had got bigger. Casting with a bigger belly means that my casting stroke has to be bigger to get over my belly!

I do long for the days when I had a small belly!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 08/10/2011 at 23:58 »
Yes Rob .....  but this will not prove to be a major problem, because as you lose your hair, your head will become slicker and shoot better, which will compensate for your bigger belly! :z4

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 09/10/2011 at 00:47 »
Out of interest, do any of you make a conscious change to your cast when there is more line outside of the tip and if so what is the change?

CHeers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 09/10/2011 at 16:21 »
Out of interest, do any of you make a conscious change to your cast when there is more line outside of the tip and if so what is the change?

CHeers

Ben

Yes. If casting at normal distances my rod is vertical(ish) and the stroke "constricted" by holding my elbow close to my body. With more line out I lay the rod more towards a horizontal position, and remembering Lefty Krehs words, I move my elbow "along the shelf", making a long, flat stroke.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com