Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Pike in Fedderate
« on: 30/09/2011 at 17:44 »
I fished Fedderate today, got talking to an old boy he told me that some idiot had put either a Pike or several Pike in. A few of the fly fishers have hooked the Pike. One guy asked permission to dead bait and hooked it on a whole Makeral, but lost it. Its complete madness Pike could decimate the place  :mad

:z18

Jim

Paul Rankine

Re: Pike in Fedderate
« Reply #1 on: 30/09/2011 at 20:59 »
Hi Jim,
          Idiot is right.  Also illegal and if he/she is identified they could be prosecuted under the Act and also be the subject of legal action by Fraserburgh Angling Club. Uh Duh !!

Paul.

Quickcast 84

« Reply #2 on: 01/10/2011 at 00:11 »
WELL! obviously people shud know who this person is!! word gets around. and who allowed this other guy to dead bait fish on fedderate?? CRAZY.thats 2 lifetime bans already! who else is in on this??

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2011 at 18:25 »
There is nothing going around the local pike anglers/club that would indicate a Piker has put Pike in there.

Besides being pointless as permission would not be given to fish the place anyway, the local pikers are working together to try and stop this sort of thing.

There has been plenty of illegal fish movement in the past few years thanks to various reasons which I will not go into, but as i said before, the local Pike anglers are just as concerned as others are.

Having said all that, without a photo or body of a Pike, I would withhold judgement on this story. So so many times I have been told that Pike are in a water because someone had been told so, or a big fish was hooked and lost so it must have been a PIke.

For someone to dead bait such a vast water, actually find a Pike that is feeding, and for that pike to take the bait (deadbaits are a poor bait in a trout water) and then for that fish to be lost all seems a little dubious..in a nice way that is.

A true story now...when Shell had Haddo back in the 80's I joined the Pecten Angling Club so I could fish it. The reason was because I was told that a few pike had been hooked but lost on the fly. I was a club member for 7 years, yet in that time no pike were caught or reported...yet I still heard the same stories. Anyone seen a Pike in Haddo? Thought not. I still put the tales of powerful fish being hooked down to eels, which it had in numbers back then, or a large Brownie.

If I hear anything rest assured I would make sure the proper authorities are informed.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 01/10/2011 at 18:51 »
HI Rob,
             Appreciate that , thanks.

It's just such a "wild" or perhaps should I say " naturalised " trout fishing place that it would be a crying shame if it went to the dogs.

Yeah , it does sound a bit like the old "big pike in this water  :shock "story and without evidence it's going to be difficult to prove.

Particularly now the season is over.

Perhaps someone closer to it could add what they know ?  Henry ?

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com