Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Post a nice fly picture - the childs way
« on: 09/09/2011 at 19:16 »
Disclaimer: I hereby confess that I only just made it into the novice point and shoot bracket so please direct negative criticism regarding this method to someone who gives a plop.

BUT   any constructive comments or preferred methods are most welcomed.

I shoot my flies against a sheet of A3 paper or other suitable white background
I have always used artificial light (daylight lamp) to light the subject ‘cos it just seems to be at night that I get the time but I’m sure natural light would be much better.
I leave the White Balance set at Auto White Balance (AWB)
I then use the EV (Exposure Value) feature on my camera to slow down the shutter speed so that the camera doesn’t underexpose the image and give me a darker or blueish background.
The EV range on my camera is as below ;
-2   •  •  -1  •   •  0  •  •  +1  •  •  +2    and my typical setting for my lighting set up is around the +1 range for a decent exposure. (each dot equates to a 1/3 exposure increment)
Note that you can thumb through these range settings when focusing on the subject to give you an idea of how the finished shot will look.
Reducing shutter speed increases any chance blurring due to handshake so use a tri/bipod or similar and I use the 2 second self timer to further help reduce movement.

Some examples of the same shot moving up the EV scale.

Obviously using photo editing software can further enhance things by manipulating the ‘levels’ slider but it’s nice to be in the ball park with the initial shot.

Due to me not having Photoshop on my laptop (long story) I just use bad old ‘PAINT’ to publish the final shot;
Find photo you want to use
Select ‘open with’     PAINT
Reduce picture ( by percentage) to a manageable size
Use ‘select’ to find rectangular select box then drag over fly picture
Remove external unwantedness by selecting ‘CROP’
Add any text and save a copy
Add to post via ‘Tinypic’       note your new file will upload very quickly – much happiness.

Iain

Noel Kelly

Re: Post a nice fly picture - the childs way
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2011 at 19:51 »
Iain....you are a bit of a knob but credit where it's due this forum would be a lesser place without you.
The photography is excellent and the other bits and bobs of magic you are doing with your pics is great and good fun.
I cant offer any constructive criticism so will butt out but one final thing, promise the forum you will never die? 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 09/09/2011 at 20:03 »
Assa funny hook Mister ..... don't the fish fall off? :roll

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 09/09/2011 at 20:15 »
Mike,

It is the new 'Kayapishoo ultra-safe BL' I have been using them all season and have yet to land anything on them  :z8

I think the manufacturer is thinking of discontinuing them??? don't figure!?

Noel !!

are you on the cheeky vimto's again? and with your medication too! tut tut

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 09/09/2011 at 21:28 »
Good thread Iain, thanks!
Just a shame my camera doesnt have the EV feature, what camera are you using??

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 09/09/2011 at 21:51 »
Bart,

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10, I thought you had a similar model?

Perhaps it is described as Evaluative Metering? check the net for a comprehensive manual.

Iain

John Reid

« Reply #6 on: 10/09/2011 at 07:52 »
Iain,

I will totally contradict Mr Kellogs here and say you are a gent and a scholar.  I have the same camera and have struggled to get as good a picture as you get.  What lighting setup do you use?  I was toying with the idea of making a mini studio in the winter nights!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 10/09/2011 at 08:38 »
Johnner,

I just use my Maplins daylight lamp/magnifier which is good due to the fact that you can easily manipulate it on a couple of axis (or should I say axes).

I looked at buying a 'studio a couple of years ago - they sell them on e-bay for little coin, just never got round to it - but I will.

Iain

Irvine Ross

« Reply #8 on: 10/09/2011 at 09:20 »
Ian

Two thoughts:

Firstly, your camera is setting the exposure to accommodate the fairly bright light reflected from the white paper and you are having to adjust the exposure to prevent the fly from being under exposed. If you used a mid grey background the camera would automatically set a slower exposure and you would not have to do any adjustment. Also with a mid grey background any white materials on the fly would not be lost against the background.

Secondly, if you put the fly up on a stand and moved your background back 30-40cm away from the fly there would not be any shadow around the fly. Also the camera can be trusted to autofocus on the fly rather than the background sheet of paper.

Other than that yer photies is nae bad   :z14

Irvine

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 13/09/2011 at 10:34 »
Disclaimer: I hereby confess that I only just made it into the novice point and shoot bracket so please direct negative criticism regarding this method to someone who gives a plop.

BUT   any constructive comments or preferred methods are most welcomed.

I shoot my flies against a sheet of A3 paper or other suitable white background
I have always used artificial light (daylight lamp) to light the subject ‘cos it just seems to be at night that I get the time but I’m sure natural light would be much better.
I leave the White Balance set at Auto White Balance (AWB)
I then use the EV (Exposure Value) feature on my camera to slow down the shutter speed so that the camera doesn’t underexpose the image and give me a darker or blueish background.
The EV range on my camera is as below ;
-2   •  •  -1  •   •  0  •  •  +1  •  •  +2    and my typical setting for my lighting set up is around the +1 range for a decent exposure. (each dot equates to a 1/3 exposure increment)
Note that you can thumb through these range settings when focusing on the subject to give you an idea of how the finished shot will look.
Reducing shutter speed increases any chance blurring due to handshake so use a tri/bipod or similar and I use the 2 second self timer to further help reduce movement.

Some examples of the same shot moving up the EV scale.

Obviously using photo editing software can further enhance things by manipulating the ‘levels’ slider but it’s nice to be in the ball park with the initial shot.

Due to me not having Photoshop on my laptop (long story) I just use bad old ‘PAINT’ to publish the final shot;
Find photo you want to use
Select ‘open with’     PAINT
Reduce picture ( by percentage) to a manageable size
Use ‘select’ to find rectangular select box then drag over fly picture
Remove external unwantedness by selecting ‘CROP’
Add any text and save a copy
Add to post via ‘Tinypic’       note your new file will upload very quickly – much happiness.

Iain

Weel eventually found the EV bit on my camera so getting there! When you resize the image what exactly is the size you resize to as i cant get it to look right at all,

Cheers
Endrick.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #10 on: 13/09/2011 at 13:16 »
  Hi all,
              Great two thoughts there Irvine. Exactly what I was thinking !!
 Paul .

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com