Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Electric Outboards
« on: 19/08/2011 at 18:23 »
Since Baz is not letting me keep his thinking of getting one myself once I've saved a few quid  :wink

Any place you look on tinternet reccomends the Mink Coater, they are twice the price of the Shakey , Bison or Stillwater. I've never quite got the reasoning as to why they attract this premium in price ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISON-40-lb-ELECTRIC-OUTBOARD-TROLLING-MOTOR-/390321168154?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5ae0f45f1a

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/stillwater-electric-outboard-motor~6733.html

http://www.wellbanklochans.co.uk/acatalog/SHAKESPEARE_ELECTRIC_ENGINES.html

Anyone have any advice or opinions on this ?

:z18

Jim  

Iain Goolager

Re: Electric Outboards
« Reply #1 on: 19/08/2011 at 20:58 »
 :z8
Don't know Jim?

Shakespeare Sigma looks good and at 44lb that's a bargain  :wink

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2011 at 10:02 »
:z8
Don't know Jim?

Shakespeare Sigma looks good and at 44lb that's a bargain  :wink

Iain

I think some motors burn out after years of use but apparently min kota's last forever. I reckon if its an engine that you will be using say 20 times in a year a shakspear wil do just the job you need.
I do know that some engines in the same thrust range are faster than others and pretty sure watersnakes were the fastest for there size range!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 20/08/2011 at 11:53 »
I had a quick scout about on the net last night to see if there were any manuals/chat topics on the various makes.

I was also trying to see if there was any reference to actual motor manufacturer, it'd be interesting to see which makes have an electric motor that drops off the same conveyor belt.

I take it there's no manufacturers info on your motor body Baz.

Iain

paavo

« Reply #4 on: 20/08/2011 at 13:34 »
I´ve been using a MinnKota 30lb for 4 years, 25-30 days a year. No problems so far.

//Harri

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 21/08/2011 at 14:05 »
I have a shakey 44lb thrust its been ok for me the last 2 yrs,but the battery was dearer easgach1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 31/08/2011 at 20:36 »
Motor arrived today  :z16 just waiting on the battery now.

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 31/08/2011 at 21:04 »
Good stuff Jim, does it look the biz?

Alpha batteries..........

'Free nationwide delivery'            unless you stay further north than Glasgow or Edinburgh  :mad

£5 something for delivery.  Which actually sounds reasonable considering it's next day and a heavy item, it's just the misleading advertising and the discrimination that rips my tights!

you get nowt for nowt right enough.

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 01/09/2011 at 06:31 »
Iain

I feel your pain, it annoys the sh1t out of me at work when trying to get anything delivered to Peterhead to get on our Supply boat. "Its a remote location" becuase of that next day delivery somehow does not count.
To be fair to Alpha Batteries who I used through their E-bay site , they did not charge any extra . However they informed the courier it was available for collection Tuesday (bear in mind its supposed to be next day delivery) took the courier 24 hours just to collect it, still not reached Aberdeen.

Looks like I'm rowing Saturday  :mad

To be honest all the Leccy motors look much the same.

Jim

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 01/09/2011 at 17:25 »
Battery arrived this PM  :z16

So thats us all set for Saturday  :z15 :z15

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 01/09/2011 at 17:39 »
Glad everything turned up Jim, the wind is suppose to be up a wee bit so dare say you would of struggled rowing all day!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 17/01/2012 at 23:15 »
How did you guys get on with the new electric outboards and chargers etc ...... pleased with them?

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 18/01/2012 at 06:12 »
Mike

Not had it out often enough to comment on durability, but so far so good. Iain and i bought the 125ah Leisure battery and ran up an down the Loch all day with no problesm. Saying that it was calm weather, its when you try to push the boat into the wind that it sucks the life out of the battery.

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 19/01/2012 at 18:06 »
Mike

Not had it out often enough to comment on durability, but so far so good. Iain and i bought the 125ah Leisure battery and ran up an down the Loch all day with no problesm. Saying that it was calm weather, its when you try to push the boat into the wind that it sucks the life out of the battery.

Jim

Now 3 boats at the Den Jim so will see about getting them booked up for an early season brownie bash so you can get your motor out again!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 19/01/2012 at 20:10 »
Now 3 boats at the Den Jim so will see about getting them booked up for an early season brownie bash so you can get your motor out again!
Looking forward to it Baz

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com